Buying A Successful Broodmare

For anyone interested.
c/o The Tattersalls Website

BRIGHT START TO TATTERSALLS JULY SALE

Brilliant sunshine and a festive atmosphere set the tone for the opening day of the Tattersalls July Sale at Park Paddocks with robust trade and a new record for filly in training at the July Sale of 250,000 guineas. A total of 200 lots were sold for a total of 4,608,200 guineas, at an average of 23,041 guineas and a median of 15,500 guineas.

The three-year-old filly EASY TO THRILL set a July Sale record for a filly in training when knocked down to Irish agent Bobby O'Ryan for 250,000 guineas late in the day. The daughter of SOVIET STAR out of the Group 2 winning AFFIRMED mare EASY TO COPY was purchased by O'Ryan on behalf of a Dublin based businessman after he saw off the efforts of the BBA Ireland's Eamonn Reilly, who was stood alongside Irish owner/breeder Joseph Joyce. EASY TO THRILL is a half-sister to the Group 3 winner TWO-TWENTY-TWO and the Listed winners EASY DEFINITION and DESERT EASE as well as to TWICE THE EASE, dam of the promising DANEHILL DANCER two-year-old ACHILLES OF TROY. The sale represented a massive result for her owners who had purchased her only 18 months earlier at the 2005 Tattersalls December Yearling Sale for 26,000 guineas.

The second highest priced lot for the day at 170,000 guineas was the DANSILI four-year-old WATER FEATURE who was offered in foal to MONTJEU's four-time Group 1 winning son HURRICANE RUN. Consigned by Voute Sales, the mare out of the KALAGLOW mare SHINING WATER is a half-sister to the Group 1 Grand Criterium winner TENBY and the Group placed listed winner BRISTOL CHANNEL. Interest in the mare came thick and fast with Blandford Bloodstock's Richard Brown and agent Gordion Troeller both active early before Irish agent Seamus Kennedy entered the fray. He was joined soon after by Glenview House Stud's Steven Harris but neither could withstand the efforts of the BBA Ireland's Eamonn Reilly who landed the mare on behalf of Laundry Cottage Stud's Colin and Melba Bryce.

Badgers Bloodstock's Grant Pritchard-Gordon was active on the opening day of the sale, signing for the third and fifth highest priced lots of the day. The first of these was the four-year-old mare OPERA COMICA who he purchased for 85,000 guineas. The daughter of DR FONG was consigned from Caroline Green's Templeton Stud and was offered in foal to Derrinstown Stud's MARJU, sire of OPERA COMICA's half-sister VIVA PATACA who has taken Hong Kong racing by storm during the last 18 months. A 26,000 guineas graduate of the Tattersalls October Yearling Sale, VIVA PATACA, who raced in England as COMIC STRIP, has won eleven races and almost £2,000,000 in prizemoney and his emphatic victory over dual Dubai Group 1 winners VENGEANCE OF RAIN and ADMIRE MOON in the Group 1 Queen Elizabeth Cup at Sha Tin in April broadcast his world class ability to anyone watching. Pritchard-Gordon indicated that OPERA COMICA was purchased on behalf of owner Paul Makin, and would visit STARCRAFT in Australia where she will be covered to northern hemisphere time following the injury to that stallion that will prevent his travel to Europe next year.

Pritchard-Gordon later saw off the efforts of London based agent Charlie Gordon-Watson and French agent Marc-Antoine Bergracht to secure the three-year-old SADLER'S WELLS filly JIG TIME for 140,000 guineas. The filly comes from one of Juddmonte's classic families, something Pritchard-Gordon is very familiar with having spent 17 years there as Prince Khalid Abdullah's racing manager. Her dam, the GONE WEST mare WESTERN APPEAL, is an own-sister to the 2000 Guineas winner and champion sire ZAFONIC as well as to his brother ZAMINDAR who is quickly making a mark for himself at stud at Abdullah's Banstead Manor near Newmarket. JIG TIME was also purchased on behalf of Paul Makin, and whilst plans are not fluid for her, a visit to STARCRAFT in Australia remains a possibility.

Late in the evening Italian agent Federico Barberini had to go to 105,000 guineas to purchase MAIL EXPRESS, the CAPE CROSS half-sister to Group 1 winner LE VIE DEI COLORI, who was offered in foal to KING'S BEST by Luca and Sara Cumani's Fittocks Stud. Barberini purchased the four-year-old mare on behalf of Italian breeders Paolo and Emma Agostini, who bred LE VIE DEI COLORI and MAIL EXPRESS, having sold the latter as a foal at the 2003 Tattersalls December Foal Sale for 130,000 guineas. Barberini, who saw off the efforts of underbidder Tom Goff of Blandford Bloodstock, indicated that the mare would go to Ireland but no mating plans had been made as yet.

The Tattersalls July Sale continues at 9.30am on Wednesday, July 11.

None this time, Cat. :) I am possibly going to Ireland to view one at the end of the month though.

:)

zreb9.jpg

One of my mares is kept up in Louth in Lincolnshire, so I went up there last week to see how she is getting on. She has the most beautiful foal at foot who I wanted to adopt as she is absolutely gorgeous. I would be more than happy if Katy throws a foal half as pretty as the one she currently has.

Here are a few photos:

ANDYKATHYGOTOLOUTHTOSEEKATY-QFOA-4.jpg

ANDYKATHYGOTOLOUTHTOSEEKATY-QFOA-2.jpg

ANDYKATHYGOTOLOUTHTOSEEKATY-QFOA-1.jpg

ANDYKATHYGOTOLOUTHTOSEEKATY-QFOALAN.jpg

Katy's family doing really well at the moment. Swift Princess won yesterday and Presto Shinko won today! :clap:

Sorry, forgot to mention in the earlier post that the mare is called Katy-Q.

They're both gorgeous :wub: You must be so excited by the prospect of having your own foals arriving next year.

Yes, it is pretty exciting Griffin. So many of my friends are interested in what I am doing (what am I doing? shrug:: ) that I am setting up a small business to promote the mares and (hopefully) the foals. All in very early stages at the moment, but it will be lovely to be able to share the whole experience, and I must admit it is one side of racing I have become particularly interested in.

Here is Art Series i/f to Phoenix Reach and who resides at Grace Muir's place in Wantage.

ARTSERIESCAPEGRECOANDBAYHAWK13TH-4.jpg

This is Art doing her impression of a giraffe.

ARTSERIESCAPEGRECOANDBAYHAWK13TH-3.jpg

... and a couple of her just enjoying herself eating, eating and more eating.
ARTSERIESCAPEGRECOANDBAYHAWK13THAUG.jpg

Originally posted by Kathy@Aug 4 2007, 07:01 PM
Katy's family doing really well at the moment. Swift Princess won yesterday and Presto Shinko won today! :clap:

Sorry, forgot to mention in the earlier post that the mare is called Katy-Q.
Swift Princess won again today at Leicester! :clap:

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would tag this on here. I couldn't see it mentioned anywhere else. I know very little about covering fees but the £8000 does sound quite reasonable for a first season fee.

Courtesy of The Sporting Life.

PERCY TO STAND IN NEWMARKET
By Keith Hamer, PA Sport

Last year's Epsom Derby winner Sir Percy is to stand at Kirsten Rausing's Lanwades Stud in Newmarket.

The four-year-old colt, owned by Victoria and Anthony Pakenham, is best remembered for his last-gasp triumph in the premier Classic.

Bought by trainer Marcus Tregoning for 16,000 guineas, the son of Mark of Esteem was champion two-year-old of 2005 thanks to being unbeaten in four starts, culminating in the Group One Dewhurst Stakes.

He proved himself to be a top three-year-old as well by finishing runner-up to George Washington in the 2000 Guineas before his famous Derby triumph in the hands of Martin Dwyer, who rode him in all 10 of his races.

Sir Percy, who won five times and amassed £1,149.000 in prize money, has already left Tregoning's yard in Lambourn and is settling in at his new home.

The Pakenhams said: "Having examined various offers for Sir Percy, we are delighted he is going to Lanwades, an independent and very professionally run stud with a marvellous record for producing leading sires."

Tregoning added: "He was an exceptionally precocious two-year-old, probably the best I've ever trained.

"He was an outstandingly tough and healthy individual, with a tremendous constitution and an eye-catchingly athletic walk."

The stud are delighted to be adding Sir Percy to their stallion roster that includes Domedriver, Hernando, Selkirk and With Approval.

"We are proud to see a Derby winner joining the stallion ranks at Lanwades," said Rausing, who is best known as racehorse owner for the exploits of dual Champion Stakes winner Alborada.

"With his outstanding pedigree and racing record, he represents marvellous value and opportunity for domestic and international mare owners."

Sir Percy will be syndicated and will stand at a fee of £8,000

£8000 is a bargain fee for a horse of his accomplishments, especially when you look at the sort of fees charged for colts who either didn't make it to the track as 3-y-os, or failed to train on.

A champion 2-y-o, following up with a 2nd in the Guineas and, of course, his Derby win - that is a fine achievement, although he was never really able to recapture that form afterwards. He comes from a fine female line, and his pedigree as a whole makes him fairly easy to breed to.

Most stallions disappoint, but Sir Percy has a better than average chance to succeed.

I have just spoken to Bumble Mitchell who looks after Katy-Q for me to get a progress report, and Katy is doing very well.

During our conversation she told me that she sold a Medicean chestnut filly at the Doncaster Sales for £110,000 yesterday to Shadwell Stud. I saw the filly a couple of months ago and Bumble said then that she had high hopes for her. She also sold an Elusive City, Bay Colt for £55,000.00.

She is absolutely thrilled. Well done, Bumble! :clap:

Found Bergo and so much for Ireland:

Paul Nicholls Stable Tour:

" Colourful professional gambler Harry Findlay, the joint-owner of Denman, has ten horses with Nicholls this season set to run in the purple colours of his mother Maggie, plus a further six he owns in partnership with Denman's other joint-owner, Paul Barber.

His most promising newcomer is the German stayer Bergo, who earned a Racing Post Rating of 111 when runner-up in a 2m Group 3 at Baden-Baden in May.

He has won four of his 11 starts at around 1m4f and looks an interesting prospect for staying novice hurdles."

So much for boosting the family .... shrug::

This is a photo taken of Phoenix Reach at The National Stud during a recent visit. Headstrong mentioned Phoenix Reach in a different thread so thought a few of you may like to see how he looks after a year standing as stallion.

PHOENIXREACHATTHENATIONALSTUD11THSE.jpg

Most stallions disappoint, but Sir Percy has a better than average chance to succeed.

Ven your comments surprise me. Yes Sir Percy raced for three seasons (well just about two and a half) but he was supposidly crippled after the Guineas and again after the Derby and bombed out in the Champion Stakes and was pretty average at 4. You have often slated owners for sending mares to stallions with problems and he clearly was not sound for much of his 3 year old campaign.

I'm not happy about his physical problems, but he's a good-looking well-bred horse who showed absolutely top class form from 7f to 12f.

I still feel that 10f would have been his best trip.

I'd have preferred him to have shown more durability, but he could do ok.

He certainly has filled out, Venusian. He also continues to have the most amazing, laid back temperament.

Phoenix looks great to me - nice deep chest, strong neck, positively sprinterish quarters, great legs and pasterns - my only slight criticism would be a tiny bit of straightness in the shoulder, but really he's a fine stamp of a horse

This was obviously good news for The National Stud and for the staff who must have been slightly concerned over the last few weeks/months.

Courtesy of The Racing Post

Future of National Stud secured
by Howard Wright

THE future of the National Stud at Newmarket has been secured, after theLevy Board this week agreed to transfer its assets to Jockey Club control, with October 31 as the target date for completion of the arrangement.

Senior steward Julian Richmond-Watson said on Friday: “Under the umbrella of the Jockey Club, the National Stud will continue to offer a range of services to the breeding industry, including the standing of its stallions in 2008.”

Levy Board chairman Rob Hughes added: “The stud and its staff have done an excellent job maintaining daily activities and carrying on with business as usual, during a somewhat drawn-out process and a difficult time.”

Earlier this year the Levy Board baled out the stud with a loan of up to £500,000 to cover cash-flow to the end of this month. Talks were immediately taken up with the Jockey Club on a permanent solution to the stud's future.

Having met a few staff from The National Stud over the last year, they certainly are an asset and I am just relieved that their jobs appear safe.

I thoroughly recommend taking one of the tours if you can and don't miss out on the lovely cafe (before or after) on site where you can buy some great photos/pictures and horse related products. For anyone with a sweet tooth their home made cakes really are delicious! :luv:

Yearling Sales today at Tattersalls, Newmarket currently being shown on RUK for anyone interested!

Currently 160 guineas for a Linamix grey filly! :eek:

Hi Brown Jack. Long time no see! :)

These are the details of Katy-Q's progeny that have actually raced. I don't have details of her unraced progeny to hand as I need the Weatherby's site for this info which I need to find my password for. :shy: Katy does have a Needwood Blade foal at foot. I will be interested to see how she does when she goes through the ring as she is an absolute corker!

HORSE SIRE (AWD) WINS PLACES RUNS TOTAL PRIZE (£'s) RPR DIST

Mister Benji 99 g Catrail (USA) (7.6f) 6 10 62 24,357.50 87 6f
Smart John 00 g Bin Ajwaad (IRE) (9.1f) 4 8 38 27,152.95 77 12f
Smart Cassie 03 f Allied Forces (USA) (7.5f) 1 4 17 6,923.90 77 12f
Jonjo 98 g Charnwood Forest (IRE) (8.7f) 0 0 4 339.00 45 11f

Art Series is an unraced mare and this is going to be her first foal.

Forgive me if I have completely failed to answer your question. :brows:

Back