Buying A Successful Broodmare

Oh no cant do that or some stupid, sorry, unsuspecting, sorry erm , biased show judge erm, oh i dont know, people, might think he's 17.3hh. The ideal height for a stallion leaderupper is ;

n(y-1) x 220
3.1415927 - 2.54x17.3y

I'm going to ask The National Stud if they can just chop the stallion handlers legs off or if that's a bit too harsh and barbaric perhaps they can just lead the stallions around on their knees? shrug::

Originally posted by uncle goober@Feb 9 2008, 10:25 PM
Oh no cant do that or some stupid, sorry, unsuspecting, sorry erm , biased show judge erm, oh i dont know, people, might think he's 17.3hh. The ideal height for a stallion leaderupper is ;

n(y-1) x 220
3.1415927 - 2.54x17.3y
Surely that equation would make em bigger?

I've found a possible answer.... :rolleyes:

Does Phoenix Reach look bigger now? shrug::

PHOENIXREACHARTSERIESANDMILESATN-10.jpg

Errrrrmmmmmmm

I think that's one for the next caption comp................

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Where IS his other hand Kathy???
No wonder Phoenix looks a little, errrrrr mmmmmm..

"Nothing to do with me Gov......"

Originally posted by uncle goober@Feb 9 2008, 07:51 PM
phoenixreach.com neglects to give the height of the horse. His page at the National Stud website has him as "16.1/2hh"

I am going to take it that means he is "16.1/2hh"

There. Can't fool me, big tall black man. Didn't take too much intelligence.

To an intelligent person a room remains the same size whatever colour you paint it .
Pretty gratuitous remark to make, surely, Goober? What relevance is the lad's colour, ffs?

It probably says a lot more about your IQ than it does mine.

Originally posted by Songsheet@Feb 9 2008, 12:44 PM
SL - where was I saying anyone was judging the horse soley by his photo? The lad on the end of the lead rein, whther posing for a photo or actively leading him is too tall for the horse. End of. As to breeders claiming they were misled, again, I've no idea where you coming from with that particular comment because my point is that one or two may be put off from using the horse in the first place.
Songsheet, your comment

He makes the stallion look smaller than he probably actually is, which is not an ideal picture to present to prosepctive mare owners with the type of mares who would be looking for middle distance stallions.

certainly seems to suggest to me that some people would judge the horse on his photo and may be put off sending their mares to him just because the lad in the photo is "too tall". It may well not be the done thing to do in the show world but this is about breeding and not trotting around looking pretty in a show ring!

What I was trying to say is that if people are put off using the horse as they think the horse is smaller than he is because they can't work out for themselves that the lad is tall then I have no sympathy for them.

What about the poor lad? He's clearly tall - so should he be told that he can't work with stallions as he doesn't look pretty enough in a photo of the stallion?

Anyway that was an observation and I have no desire to get into some drawn out p*ssing contest - nowhere did I question your breeding knowledge or experience yet you seem to have assumed I have. There is zero point in carrying this on.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Feb 10 2008, 12:37 PM

There is zero point in carrying this on.
Then why bother, SL - other than having to have the last definitive word as per usual ?

I find it inbelievable that you still miss my point - the fact that the lad was in a photo is not the whole point! It is all to do with presentation at the time - ie during a stallion parade. If breeders are using a horse purely on performance and not conformation (of which height is a part) then it wouldn't matter a bit but they're not - it's a combo of both aspects.

As to the generalisation that my comment implies a tall lad is unable to work with stallions, that is also incorrect. Of course he can work with stallions - he would be a bonus for large, burly horses that would positively benefit from a tall lad. He can 'do' whatever size stallion the stud groom wants him too at the stud but during a stallion parade, most commercial studs would consider the whole picture to be very important.

And as the National Stud is subsidised by all of us and consistently loses money, maybe attention to detail would be no bad thing.

Songsheet, fully take on board what you say about eye for detail so appreciate what you mean about the height of the lad or lass leading up at a stallion parade. I have had a couple of "issues" with The National Stud recently. One example was a full page advert in the last The Owners and Breeders magazine for Phoneix, which was great apart from the advert didn't actually show a picture of him which I found a little bizarre. I just thought that if you are a breeder looking for a potential stallion, one thing that would be pretty important was the visual stamp of the horse in question. It may have the best breeding and form in the world but if it was short, fat and looked like a hairy dog, you may want to go elsewhere. The fact that (I think) Phoenix looks magnificent I thought would be a great selling point, but what do I know? :brows: Perhaps it's just me? shrug::

I bet there are a few hundred stallions looking forward to Valentines Day next week. :luv: :luv:

Phoenix is a great looking stallion and has an impressive race record but, like many another stallion before him, he's going to have to be able to upgrade his mares as he has a less than fashionable pedigree and will only get limited opportunities. He's a middle distance horse, his dam doesn't have an outstanding pedigree and he was a very minor 2yo winner who quite obviously improved with age. So he's only going to appeal to breeders who can take time with his progeny.

However, as we all know, stallions can defy their printed page and he has just as much chance of producing the goods as the next horse - it's whether or not he's going to be commercial enough, quickly enough, to get those results on the board and start making money for the Stud.

He may well end up covering NH mares and make his mark in that sphere - if I had a dual purpose mare, he'd most definitely be on my list!

And I bet there are many stallions who have already covered a few mares by now!!

Pretty gratuitous remark to make, surely, Goober? What relevance is the lad's colour, ffs?

It probably says a lot more about your IQ than it does mine.

Indeed it does.

My obviously too-difficult-to-understand point was that it matters not a jot, how big, how tall or how black he is, as the horse is listed as being 16.1/2hh.

Nothing worse than someone who plays a race card out of place.

Arse.

Now thats gratuitous.

Other news now, I didn't think Phoenix Reach won as a two year old.

You are right UG, he only had one race as a 2yo where he was beaten a head by Norse Dancer. He then split a pastern and then raced again as a 3yo. where he won his next two races. He then came 3rd at Doncaster to Brian Boru and then his globetrotting basically commenced where he went to Woodbine and beat Brian Boru and winning £358k in this race alone. If he hadn't picked up silly knocks and injuries thoughout his career, I am convinced he would have won far more than £2 million pounds. That's racing for you though, and all you can do is hope that his gutsy, never say die attitude and love of travelling is passed on to some of his offspring - hopefully on to my foals :D I love travelling!

So do I, UG! :what: Being blinded in one eye possibly due to the chemicals they used on the racing surface in Singapore is quite a rare injury but one that nearly caused him to lose his sight. Phoenix still has what looks like a wall eye but it is just the result of the injury that took months to heal, a fortune in vets bills (he had to stay in Singapore for weeks) and a lot of worry for the connections.

The one thing that has always amazed me with Phoenix Reach, and hence my obsession is his strength of character to be able to return from possible career threatening injuries but to keep coming back for more. Both on and off the racecourse he was a real fighter.

Being part of a stallions "first season" foals is very exciting for someone like me. Having been connected with the horse for a few years now, having seen him race, seen him at home and now visiting him at The National Stud I somehow feel part of the family. The fact that Bay Hawk's sire is the same as Phoenix Reach's keeps it all in the family and ( to me) Bay Hawk is a fighter too. :)

I have noticed that Alhaarth has had a little success over jumps lately. I was almost tempted by a yearling of his last autumn ( to turn out and save for jumping!) but he was too expensive.

Yes, I noticed that there has been some big money for some of his offspring.

Stick your £'s in a high interest account UG, and I will do you a deal with one of my Phoenix foals in a couple of years assuming they arrive safe and sound. :D

UG - your comment above illustrates better than anything I can convey that the only one on this thread who lacks the ability to hold a reasosned debate is you.

So, as I am more than capable of learning from my mistakes, quite obviously trying to engage in a interesting discussion with you is pointless. Feel free to carry on being abusive but your opinion on the subject of breeding horses carries about as much weight with me as mine no doubt would do with you with regard to photography.

Enjoy.

Hang on, I'm confused.

I thought I was more or less being accused of being unable to hold a reasoned debate on this thread, now UG's the only one unable to do so - how dare you steal my thunder Goober?!

Not least when it's on a subject like breeding horses.....what would a mere snapper know about that?! :laughing:

Gizzmo always use to join up with me .... but only IF I had a packet of polo's in my pocket! :D

Back