Buying A Successful Broodmare

Hoping that Pearl's Girl (i/f Phoenix Reach) has her foal today. She was due about the 22nd Jan, but she is a maiden so may prefer to hang on to the foal for as long as equinely possible.

The first Phoenix Reach foal (we know of) was born at about 9.30pm this evening. A bay colt. :clap: The dam is Pearls Girl.

That's very good news - who does she belong to?
Do we get to see a piccy or two soon :luv:

The mare, foal and stallion all belong to Andrew Christou. Hence why he is absolutely thrilled. Obviously, there is no real way of knowing if there are any other Phoenix foals on the ground, but this is the first one we definitely know about. I will do my best to get a photo.

....and now a filly has arrived too. :clap: Also out of another mare owned by Andrew. He has his own stud so he is actually present when these foals are born. It must be so rewarding to own the stallion, own some nicely bred mares, and then hopefully see one of the progeny one day follow in their father's footsteps. Well, you can all but dream, can't you?

Kathy, I know you will know that the The National Stud will have a full list of the mares covered by Phoenix. When you use one of their stallions they request that you keep them informed of foal date etc due to the agreement for live foal.

So you should be able to get all info from the stud.

Vixen - can you share it or is in secret ?

Thanks, Isinglass.

As I don't own Phoenix Reach ( I wish) it's not information the National Stud would give to me, although their Commercial Director did say that they were regularly calling all the owners of the various mares to get updates on the mares progress so perhaps they will send information to Andrew Christou as it arrives.

Thanks Kathy - please share with us when you know more! Nice to keep track of his offspring so we can watch their race debuts, (or sale events) even though that seems a long way off now!

I'm sure he will have some nice ones.

I have received some great news this morning.

My mare, Katy-Q gave birth to a very healthy Phoenix Reach colt this morning at 04:20hrs. :clap:

I am just trying to organise when I can go and see them.

I am absolutely thrilled. :clap: Katy-Q is a gorgeous mare and has thrown some lovely foals. Is it too early for opening the champagne? :rolleyes:

:clap: Congratulations Kathy thats fantastic news .... :clap:

Hope mum and colt are doing ok :)

Go on open it! So you will be celebrating at Newbury today for sure. Hope all is well with mare and foal, how exciting, a boy :clap:

Photos soon please!

Isinglass, I'm afraid I gave Newbury a swerve and went up to see Katy Q and her gorgeous foal. Pictures to follow, as only just back.

He is an absolute corker! As he was born on St David's Day I am thinking of a stable name for him. Dylan has been mentioned. :rolleyes: Has anyone any other ideas, a nice name for a colt with a Welsh slant.

I did think of calling him Colin, but when I saw him he just doesn't look like a Colin. No offence, Colin! :D

Call him Davy, or even better Dai, or Dai Bach [Dear Dai], why not?
Keep it simple - you can think of a fancy Welshwhizzo name later!

Well done to all concerned in the mating and the birth - not to mention the purchase of the mare - and may her progeny thrive

Was having a grand chat tonight with chum Alan Coleing who bred Treat from his best mare [of 4] Cream Tease, and it's extraordinary how things come to pass --- he hoped for a higher profile after that, even given he'd rather, in way, that Treat had been saved for her 3 yr old career- but 2nd in the Fillies' Mile is not to be sneezed at, and he's not complaining.

Cream Tease's two since then have been a colt by Falbrav - which I mentioned a long time ago on here as one to watch when he reached the racecourse - but he was sold for a mini-fortune to Japan. And the other recent one, by Hawk Wing [as yet unbeaten], was bought by Willie McKay.....
"Who's this Steve Parr then - is he any good????" was the question of the night :laughing:

It's not just owners but also breeders who are at the mercy of the trainer's expertise -
At least in the case of the owner you can choose your trainer.........
Breeders' success can hinge on factors way beyond their own control shrug::

Here are a few photos I've quickly downloaded. Here is Dylan at less than 12 hours old. How's that for service for you lot to have a sneaky look at my new superstar! :D He appears compact, has good legs and plenty of bone.

I may have some better ones to post tomorrow. Katy is the perfect Mum and was quite happy for the foal to be photographed (I didn't use the flash) and for Barney to come and have a quick sniff.

PS Barney needed to check out the new member of the family and he approves! :luv:

PS Dylan's tail is in the air as he is relieving himself in case you think he is deformed! :)

PHOENIXGLOBALEXKATYQFIRSTFOALBOR-6.jpg

PHOENIXGLOBALEXKATYQFIRSTFOALBOR-5.jpg

PHOENIXGLOBALEXKATYQFIRSTFOALBOR-4.jpg

PHOENIXGLOBALEXKATYQFIRSTFOALBOR-3.jpg

PHOENIXGLOBALEXKATYQFIRSTFOALBOR-2.jpg

PHOENIXGLOBALEXKATYQFIRSTFOALBORN04.jpg

Thanks, Galileo & HS. I will be boring you all to death with his progress. Apologies in advance. :shy:

He's a super little chap, isn't he?

Btw, Kathy, I'm afraid you can't call him "Colin" as it's a protected name - he was an undefeated (15 out of 15) Belmont Stakes winner of exactly 100 years ago.

:D That's brilliant Ven! I am sure Colin will understand my reasons for choosing a different name now. :)

Kathy, I indeed understand why you say he doesn't look a "Colin", my ribs haven't been visible for several hundred years.

He looks a corker, congratulations to you all and the very best of luck with him in the future.

Back