Champion Hurdle 2013

From the Sporting Life,
"Jessica Harrington feels the ground at Cheltenham will determine whether Steps To Freedom runs in the Stan James Champion Hurdle after his win at Dundalk on Friday evening."
Now we're talking.

Any chance she holds the same views re Oscar's Well or is she intent on continuing with this horse's **** programme.

Last edited:
How much of Mullins soundings that Hurricane Fly wasn't right last season do you buy (if any) Tanlic?
If you go back to his reappearance there was definitely something wrong then. Willie Mullins said in the parade ring he never looked himself and he was very concerned. The horse hit even money on the machine at one stage so that has got to tell you something. The horse won a minute but that may well have been down to the poor condition of the others or their inability to handle the ground.

As far as Champion Hurdle day goes who knows? Trainers and jockey can convince themselves of anything when a horse gets beat. He always seemed to be traveling and he must have thought Overturn would wilt before he did and he looked to have been caught out by ROR's sudden burst of speed. He may well have been below his best but he ran too well to totally blame that.

I backed him big time when he won the race but I honestly don't rate it as a great Champion Hurdle. Peddlars Cross had been upped in trip and went for the Neptune because McCain believed he needed the trip to be at his seen at his best. His defeat of Starluck and an off colour Binocular in the Fighting Fifth wouldn't mark him up as any sort of world beater as good a horse as he was. tbh I thought Binocular was a far more impressive winner when he beat Khyber Kim but then I could be biased as I had my kitchen sink and the faucet on him:lol:

Obviously you can't write Hurricane Fly off but he's no Istabraq and is very beatable imo

Sublimity,Alderbrook,Sea Pigeon, Kribensis?

And your point is? I gave a list of recent winner I never mentioned any of those horses.

Not one of them were in as bad a position as Ruby was at the second last, last year though

Sea Pigeon was well there at the second last but was held up by both Jonjo and JF as was Kribensis but he made his move just after the 2nd last which he jumped 1 length behind the leader and was bang there on the home turn plus he needed a hard smack to take it up going to the last. Dunwoody couldn't have got to the front much sooner than he did

As far as Alderook goes Storming Norman wanted to take it up just after the home turn but was cut off and had to take a pull and go round them or he'd have been 2 lengths up at the last.

The point I was trying to make is it is high risk in any Champion Hurdle to be giving a 4 or 5 length start to a bunch of horses going downhill towards the 2nd last because it only takes one of them to kick a couple of lengths clear and you are in big trouble.

Please don't anyone take me on about Sublimity the horse didn't even stay 2 miles at Cheltenham. HE and Brave Inca who normally never made their moves until after the second last were both beat and flat to the boards 3 out that year. While Hardy was a good horse he wasn't a shadow of his old self and the race fell into Sublimity's lap. After he jumped the last all he did was go up and down on the same spot. The following year he came there cruising but as I had predicted failed to see out the trip....positively the worst and luckiest champion hurdler of all time

Please don't anyone take me on about Sublimity the horse didn't even stay 2 miles at Cheltenham. HE and Brave Inca who normally never made their moves until after the second last were both beat and flat to the boards 3 out that year. While Hardy was a good horse he wasn't a shadow of his old self and the race fell into Sublimity's lap. After he jumped the last all he did was go up and down on the same spot. The following year he came there cruising but as I had predicted failed to see out the trip....positively the worst and luckiest champion hurdler of all time

No sane man could disagree with that. An absolute useless winner of a Grade 1.

Unfortunately, Slim, Tanlic's posts are littered with inaccuracies like "HF was always travelling" in the last Champion Hurdle (he wasn't - he was being chased along coming down the hill) and Brave Inca delivering his challenge late (he actually needed plenty of stoking-up from a mile out in his Champion).

It's hard to take any of the rest of it seriously, when such straightforward errors are passed-off as fact.

No offence, Tanlic - I like your unique line in bollocks. :D

Last edited:
What price would you make Binocular to fail to sparkle in his Kempton gallop this weekend, and his Champion Hurdle participation to be placed in doubt?

I make it no bigger than a 16/1 chance, and have therefore helped myself to some further insurance around MTOY at average 65.

I see spies and fishwives under every bed. :ninja:

Last edited:
How many horses will show up? 8?

Maybe one or two more? Steps To Freedom will probably run. I like my 25/1 e/w Binocular more everyday. This will be some betting heat. Hurricane Fly probably can start as short as 13/8 here.

Last edited:
I can see Tom Segal putting up Rock On Ruby on the day. It must be an easy case to make that he should be much shorter in the betting.

I think Rock On Ruby, zarkandar and Grandouet have a better chance than Hurricane Fly

I suppose the fact that Hurricane Fly is 7/4 and the three you mention are just under 6/4 to dutch suggests there is still juice in the market.

Unfortunately, Slim, Tanlic's posts are littered with inaccuracies like "HF was always travelling" in the last Champion Hurdle (he wasn't - he was being chased along coming down the hill) and Brave Inca delivering his challenge late (he actually needed plenty of stoking-up from a mile out in his Champion).

It's hard to take any of the rest of it seriously, when such straightforward errors are passed-off as fact.

No offence, Tanlic - I like your unique line in bollocks. :D
You should read that post back to yourself and think about what you are saying about Hurricane Fly......it's kinda silly.....The question was.......was he himself last year? What I was saying is that he looked perfectly happy during the race and was traveling well and I saw nothing to make me think he wasn't 100%......The fact is he was always traveling well until Rock on Ruby took him of his feet and I don't really get your point......of course he came under pressure we all know that or he'd have won the race :blink: Really strange post Grassy.

And your talking shyte about Brave Inca........he was under the hammer much earlier in Sublimity's race as was Hardy.....if they didn't you explain to us how come they both ran stinkers and couldn't put one leg in front of the other by the time they jumped the last.

Nothing inaccurate about my post mate I still got the video.... and you ain't getting it ya pussy:D

I suppose the fact that Hurricane Fly is 7/4 and the three you mention are just under 6/4 to dutch suggests there is still juice in the market.

That might well be the way to go for anyone who can't decide between the 3 and doesn't fancy Hurricane Fly and you can greatly increase that 6/4 by putting in lays after they jump the 3rd last at say 18 because if they hit that number at that point there's a very good chance are they wont be winning.

Back