Champion Hurdle 2013

Tweet by Bill Esdaile

Grandouet has been working very disappointingly recently and NJH has most likely 'run out of time' to get him ready for next Tuesday

Last edited:
Speaking at Sandown, he said: "Grandouet worked on the grass with Une Artiste and River Maigue. They went a good gallop and all is good."

That appears to be the latest from RP

Last edited:
As I said before all this came about how could Charlie Morlock open his mouth before this morning's gallop?

Nicky said he needed the gallop last week more than most and as he doesn't need a lot of work I would have thought you would want to see how he went today before saying anything.

Not the ideal prep but he wasn't fit when he ran in the International and wouldn't have to be that much fitter to go close...kicks the **** out of your confidence though

The entire damage done came to under 3k 860 of that was at 16 the rest was small money 16.5 to26 couple of quid at 40 but no one's going to get rich

Well at this stage it's NRNB so might as well keep bombing in on the 9/1 or more as no more damage can be done...

I'm not a religious person but I will be saying a few words tonight as Grandouet makes up a lot of my multiples

Our father who art in cheltenham,hallowed turfs thy game..........the fly ill be done.......Amen brother!

Yeah, I did the same but transferred the stake to PP with their offer in mind. I'm firmly in the Zarkandar camp now, his prep has been so much smoother and I liked his attitude at Wincanton. He's a real battler who will thrive up the hill on ground with juice in it.

Last week what was it NH said? "I think Grandouet needed it more than any of them" So this plonker telling us the horse hadn't been working well what period was he referring to?

Can only be between him having a setback and last weeks gallop. Add to that CM saying what he said and this bozo puts 2 and 2 together with absolutely no idea how Grandouet had worked in the morning and tweets as if he's telling people something any half intelligent person couldn't have worked out for themselves. He has huge following twitter and some think he's a God so in they go head down and start laying the horse at crazy prices.

Absolutely nothing to do with Nicky Henderson just some smart ass guessing and bellowing shyte.

As it turns out he did an excellent piece of work hardly blew at all afterwords and he ate up so f*ck you Grassy and all that sail in you. Follow Grassy he knows:p

Good luck to Corky Brown and big his ew bet on Binocular but he's got enough on his plate trying to reverse placing with Hurricane Fly let alone trying to beat 3 or4 of the others

Hurricane Fly can't possibly win. The Champion Hurdle he won wasn't exactly a classic and he was taken off his feet last season. He may well be working better at home this time than he was last year but all that tells me is WM must have been telling porky pies because he said last year just before the race he was in great condition....guess he put us all away last year........lovely fella!

Rock On Ruby is a solid horse and he absolutely nutted Hurricane Fly and Binocular last season I can't see either of them beating him this. He's had the perfect build up to the race, Harry Fry has had this race and this race only on his mind since March of last year and he's much better suited to this course than Zarkandar who beat he and Grandouet in the International getting 4lbs.

I fully expect Rock On Ruby to be much closer to Hurricane Fly in the betting on the day and they could even end up joint favs. Almost every bookie in the country is out to get Hurricane Fly.

I'm sure Paul Nicholls would be a lot more confident if this was run on the same course as The International. The Champion Hurdle course is more suited to horses that can quicken up instantly and the worry is he gets taken off his feet at some point. It happened in last years race and it happened in the Betfair. He did eventually get up to win the Betfair but they weren't Champion Hurdle horses. He was only 5 last year and a year on he's got to be stronger but that one nagging doubt puts me off him

No doubt in my mind that the one horse, even if he is not 100% fit, that won't have any trouble keeping up is Grandouet. He was a race short of peak fitness in the International, he was giving weight to Zarkandar and had he not had an interrupted build up to the race he would most definitely have turned the tables on him.

To me he is the only danger to Rock On Ruby. He'll be straighter than he was in the International and the course will suit him better being a speed horse and the latest I have heard is after yesterdays gallop is they are keen on his chances.

I would add "I wish I was as confident" did follow that remark tbh as much as I hate to admit it I think it's a huge ask to expect him to beat Rock On Ruby but he will run and give it his best shot. If Barry can switch him off which wont be easy as he's bound to be very keen after a lay off he could see it out and have enough left in the tank to get to and pass Rock on Ruby.........I reckon he's the only one that might.

My final 3 has to be:

1. Rock On Ruby

2. Grandouet

3 Zarkandar

Ever wish you were wrong?:(

Last edited:
Back