Champion Hurdle 2013

Is he not a bit old now?

Maybe Aragorn, but the engine has low mileage, so not sure age is particularly relevant.

I acknowledge that people may also place more stock in the age-stat, than the fact that HF has been relatively lightly-raced overall, when they weigh-up the race.

:cool:

I just happen to believe that Rock On Ruby might get most of them at it again but would have to sprout wings to steal a march on Grandouet who never seems to be out of a canter no matter how fast the leaders go and I reckon he's the horse most likely to still be on the steel where it counts.

The fact is Rock On Ruby is fully exposed and we all know what the tactics will be, as does every jockey in the race so there should be no excuses.

That's how I see it happening exactly fist and have backed Grandouet accordingly,my only worry is fitness.ROR and Zarkander will hard at it between the last two and Grandouet will be behind them,so will HF but just further behind them!
Grandouet
fly
ROR

Few win it at nine is all. Two in the last twenty and they were average years.

This is a decent field and I couldn't back him at the price. To be honest I don't have a strong opinion on this race really; I would go for Rock on Ruby if pushed.

Me too, Aragorn
At this stage, couldn't even guarantee a place, let alone a win bet.

Last edited:
Age must be a concern but in his defense he's more of a Sea Pigeon than he is a Hardy Eustace and the only sign that he may have lost some of his speed was the Champion Hurdle last year and that race was hardly conclusive for reasons his many fans have put forward

I reckon you'd need balls of steel to place lay him.........I know I'd sh1t a brick if I did and saw Ruby sitting motionless at the top of the hill :D

HF seemingly did not roll last year when taken to the sandpit at Chel on morning of CH.
Sam Thomas could be very popular next Tue morning as he is on site at sandpit.
I know who I 'll be taking to if not hung over!

Perish the thought Dessie. :)

I was listening to Ruby today and he reckons his best bet of the meeting is Far West split with Quevega but to be fair he did say Hurricane Fly wasn't right in his opinion last year. He said you know when they are not right because you have to ask them to do the simplest thing that normally the would do of their own accord and he was never really traveling last year....He certainly traveled well in price being backed from 11/10 on the Sunday to 4/6 on the day so someone thought he was ok. Can't wait until Tuesday.......despite Nicky saying Grandouet needed the gallop more than most yesterday there's been a fair bit of money floating about for him. I thought he might drift a point or two but no such luck.

I would imagine there will be a move one way or another on him by Sunday when he'll have had his final gallop and they know better where they stand..

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me if HF travelled over a little earlier this year, for whatever reason he wasn't very relaxed last year. A lot was made of the fact by people present that he wouldn't roll in the Cheltenham sandpit on the morning of the race, apparently a sign. Sam Thomas will be monitoring this on the ML this year.

I'm quite surprised Grandouet's owner didn't put in one or two to ensure the strong gallop he'd be best suited by. Maybe they don't think it will matter what pace they go, he'll sail past them on the bit anyway...

I'm quite surprised Grandouet's owner didn't put in one or two to ensure the strong gallop he'd be best suited by. Maybe they don't think it will matter what pace they go, he'll sail past them on the bit anyway...

It's the only way ROR or C&A havea chance to get HF beaten,think it will be a good test

Last edited:
:)
Only 10 declared is a big plus for the Fly

I'm not sure that it is, Tanlic.

Should HF win the Champion Hurdle, we'll undoubtedly be treated to stats which suggested ROR went off too fast.....or possibly too slow.....how the rain-softened ground, pedestrian pace and small-field helped HF stay with them.....and how the sectionals point to the race being of similar merit to the Swinton.

Fishwives abound, and whilst they will ultimately be shown for the harbourside gossips they are, nothing will prevent them from gnashing through their tombstone pegs when the sword of righteousness falls across their harriden, nay-saying throats.

Last edited:
Hes smoking stuff and watching some poxy swords and dragons video game I think. Clearly a nut

looks a paceless race..unless one of the main protaganists are going to make it..then Henderson and Nicholls have dropped a major clanger not putting a pacemaker in there

i wonder if Zarkandar will make it?

if nothing does..HF will eat them alive

Back