Champion Hurdle 2013

"I know there has been much negativity of late about the horse, but it has left me utterly perplexed," the jockey said in his Irish Examiner column.

Fook me! Sorry Ruby I didn't know you were looking in:lol:

Not like you to be talking nonsense Granger''''are you drunk?

You mean like losing out on having a run because two meeting were abandoned or injuring himself weeks before the race? I'd say he could have done without any of those excuses :rolleyes:

Compliment coming from you.

Zarkandar has his number, let alone HF.

EC1, will you be taking sectionals of the race on the day? if so, how quickly will you be able to post your analysis up here?

Turftrax will be recording sectionals from the meeting as I understand. They key as ever though, is in their interpretation. Look forward to reading your stuff EC.

if it was good ground i'd fancy RoR to win as it is i think it'll be between the fly and zarkandar.

Not sure about the ROR part, but I'd have it between HF and Z myself. I'm very confident HF will be just coming off the bridle after the hill, in control. But I do fear Zarkandar. He will battle it out with The Fly, and while I expect HF to pull out enough I wouldn't be in shock if he can't get past.

I think Hurricane is a place lay at the prices

what I dont see is Rock On Ruby shortening in the betting,especially if the ground is soft

Don't expose yourself too much suny. Personally I think its ludicrous to suggest he won't place, but hey, it's all about opinions.

Actually that could be a smart move from Harry Fry if Zarkandar is going to be up there with him from the start........eyeballing him early could gee him up and use up too much energy....

Sure!!!!!!!!!!! Rock on Ruby will wear blinkers so he'll be in good company with those HF fans

You might want to think about staying off the Matrix for a while if HF wins, Tanlic, because I'm going to make it my business to make your life a misery if he prevails. :D

If I had backed Rock On Ruby I would be more concerned with how many races he has won on soft ground rather than the application of blinkers.

You might want to think about staying off the Matrix for a while if HF wins, Tanlic, because I'm going to make it my business to make your life a misery if he prevails. :D

Even I have converted. Whilst I have backed Grandouet with Paddy Power, I think Hurrican Fly is a decent bet at 6/4, so still a bet at 2s. Zarkander is too slow, and I think last year's race defies any analysis. I would think Oscar Whisky would get close to or beat the next 2 in the market over 2m, and we know through rock solid formlines that HF would beat and has beat OW well. I have put him in many e/w doubles.

Without a strong opinion I won't have a decent bet and will stay with Countrywide Flame as a potential ew outsider.

The ground shouldn't be a problem to Rock on Ruby. He ran at the same meeting at Newbury as Grandouet as a youngster. They both won well, ROR making every yard of the running beating the inform Megasatr and Kid Cassidy very easily in ground that was described as good to soft and soft in places. If the weather forecast is correct it's very likely the ground description on Tuesday won't be far of being the same.

Last edited:
I think soft ground and the blinkers are negatives.

It is becoming a non bet race for me but if force to chorote zarkandar is nota the most likely winner.

I have been backing GRANDOUET for the last year, but I must admit my confidence is dwindling. It looks to have had a terrible preperation and I am pretty sure it wants good ground to be able to use his turn of foot to best use. It did win by 20 lengths in France by 20 lengths so I suppose it still has a good chance.

I wouldn't be worried about the ground at all for Grandouet in fact it could be a big plus for him. It hasn't affected his high cruising speed in the past he was hacking all over the top of Zarkandar and Rock On Ruby before he blew up in the International. If the ground is tacky it may well affect other more than it does him.

Plus BG was surprised he didn't get there in the international which probably speaks volumes.Im talking myself into another bet on him!!

Wouldn't see the blinkers on ROR as a negative at all; they are surely only there to sharpen him up for a trip that's at the very bottom of his range. They worked for Hardy Eustace, and they could well work for him.
If they do wrest any improvement on last year's performance, then surely it would be Goodnight Vienna for his opposition.

Last edited:
What time are declarations out this morning?
Trust all Grandouet backers including me are sitting a little nervous this morning??
No last minute setbacks please Hendo!!

Last edited:
I wouldn't be worried about the ground at all for Grandouet in fact it could be a big plus for him. It hasn't affected his high cruising speed in the past he was hacking all over the top of Zarkandar and Rock On Ruby before he blew up in the International. If the ground is tacky it may well affect other more than it does him.

Grandouet was well beaten on Soft/Heavy on his first two starts in France, and whilst he did win on Soft on his third outing, none of the horses he beat that day has ever gone on to win a race.

You are absolutely f*cking dreaming if you think that Soft ground will suit Grandouet more than others in the Champion Hurdle. There is zero evidence to support this, and posts like yours are dangerously misleading.....or at least they would be if anyone paid a blind bit of notice to them. :D

Last edited:
9 declared

Code:
Balder Succes (FR)
Binocular (FR)
Cinders And Ashes
Countrywide Flame
Grandouet (FR)
Hurricane Fly (IRE)
Khyber Kim
Rock On Ruby (IRE)
Zarkandar (IRE)

Henderson at sandown preview last night was quite clear that soft ground will not suit grandouet

Well as clear as he can be after having clearly refreshed himself throughout the day.

Last edited:
Back