Champion Hurdle 2013

Grandouet was well beaten on Soft/Heavy on his first two starts in France, and whilst he did win on Soft on his third outing, none of the horses he beat that day has ever gone on to win a race.

You are absolutely f*cking dreaming if you think that Soft ground will suit Grandouet more than others in the Champion Hurdle. There is zero evidence to support this, and posts like yours are dangerously misleading.....or at least they would be if anyone paid a blind bit of notice to them. :D
Ok lets assume you are correct......what chance Zarkandar who beat him getting weight on heavy ground when he was unfit.

If Grandouet doesn't travel on soft/heavy ground Zarkandar's form isn't woth a bucket of manure and Rock On Ruby has even less chance.

Hurricane Fly must be the biggest certainty in history of the race cos he's got sfa to beat.

By the way the ground was as soft as **** at Newbury when he ran on the same card as Rock On Ruby (funny you never disagreed with him being able to handle soft ground on the same basis)

Grandouet won doing handstands that day...........what he did as baby in France has as much to do with whether he goes on soft ground or not asflying in the air.......he's won on very soft ground and ran well on heavy so don't gimme your shyte

I've no view on this race really, just can't see where I can get a significant edge or angle on the race and happy to avoid it betting wise, but enjoyed reading the slog fest debates happening on here. I've been chuckling for a long time. :)

By the way the ground was as soft as **** at Newbury when he ran on the same card as Rock On Ruby (funny you never disagreed with him being able to handle soft ground on the same basis)

Grandouet won doing handstands that day...........what he did as baby in France has as much to do with whether he goes on soft ground or not asflying in the air.......he's won on very soft ground and ran well on heavy so don't gimme your shyte

Where's my smiley? :D

I've no view on this race really, just can't see where I can get a significant edge or angle on the race and happy to avoid it betting wise, but enjoyed reading the slog fest debates happening on here. I've been chuckling for a long time. :)
Between you and I, I haven't a clue what will win the race but don't tell anyone:p

Oh how things Change.....This is a copy I started on TRF 12 months ago. Does you good to look back and take a hard look at how wrong you can be about right or wrong about some things and change your mind about others
Sadly only 170 replies in a year.place has gone to the dogs

Hurricane Fly: To write off Hurricane Fly after this years debacle would be very foolish. There must be a question about his actual well being on the day as his run was too bad to be true.

However a lot will change between now and next season and backing him AP would be the last thing on my mind.

The best time to back him for those that want to is the minute he is confirmed to run somewhere pre-Xmas. I he follows the same route as this year I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

Binocular: Shocking ride this year but even with the best will in the world I couldn't fancy him to win it again. I hear Nicky is very likely to step him up in trip next season which could be interesting if he does.

Rock On Ruby: One of one time winner if ever I saw one. Wouldn't back him to win the race again at 20/1. NO one is going to let him out of there sights next year and there are better than him around.

Grandouet: When watching him and Sprinter Sacre as novices you could swear they both fell out of the same melting pot. The long loping stride and the ease in which they both traveled caught my eye and led me to believe both could end up being a bit special.
A bit special would be the understatement of the year if said now about Sprinter Sacre now whereas Grandouet has still to prove he is top notch at his chosen event.

He went a long way towards doing just that when slamming Overturn in the International Hurdle. For me he won that race so easily had he been giving Overturn weight instead of receiving weight (4lbs) he still have beat him with ease.

If he is over his injury he must be a major player next season and I'd have him before Rock on Ruby and day of the week.

Spirit Son: I really took to this horse as a novice when he kicked Jonjo's Palace Jester aside with so much ease I thought he must be something special. I was sick as a parrot when he was beaten in the Supreme but he didn't half make amends at Aintree when slamming Cue Card and leaving Rock on Ruby over 20 lengths in his wake. It's little wonder Nicky Henderson reckons he could be top class with a plus.

He was off for a full season and has a lot to prove but that said if Nicky's judgement is right Spirit Son is probably the biggest danger to Grandouet next season

Cinders and Ashes: I got no qualms about him he did me a huge favour this season by winning the Supreme but the crop may not be good enough and I'll be surprised if he ends up being Champion Hurdle class. It will be interesting to see what Donald McCain has planned for him.

Darlan: He had a pretty rough time of it this season for a young horse. He could improve immensely for the rest and end up overtaking Cinders and Ashes despite losing to him in the Supreme.

He looks another typical Henderson type who will be a much stronger horse next year and like Grandouet is a great traveler.
I would expect him to take over where Binocular left off and be JP's number 1 hope for next years race.

Boring as it may seem to others this will probably end up a case of Hurricane Fly bouncing back to his best and which of Nicky Henderson's trio of Spirit Son Darlan and Grandouet is most likely to beat him.

I'll stick with Grandouet who will be even stronger next season and the perfect age for the race.

Grandouet 14/1

In a space of a year sadly we have lost Darlan and Spirit Son will never run again and either in truth could have ended up Champions. I have gone from thinking Rock On Ruby was a flash in the pan to thinking he is the one they all have to beat.........

Last edited:
Darlan was running all over him that time.Harry Fry came out and said it was all in the plans etc but for me he stole last years CH.cant have him or zarkander.

Darlan was running all over him that time.Harry Fry came out and said it was all in the plans etc but for me he stole last years CH.cant have him or zarkander.
i'd be at least as worried about him not being able to beat grandouet or zarkandar on ground probably similar to what we'll have on tuesday.

admittedly that was on the new course and the old course might see him back to the from of last years race but i think he'll find one or two too good this time.

ROR was a worthy winner due to the strong pace set...without that pace last years CH would have had a different winner..pace is the key and will shape the race again this year

the year that Punjabi won..the most deserving horse in that race was Celestial halo...who kept going off a punishing pace that destroyed the others that were on it..including Hardy Eustace...if they had gone just a little less hard CH would have won it

this is why i don't understand AP betting to be honest...because the race will have different outcomes come Tuesday all dependant on how fast they go to the 4th hurdle.

trying to judge the pace is hard enough now we know the actual runners..months ago it was pure guesswork..even now its not easy to suss...the % call is that unless someone really commits to a true test there will only be one winner imo

If they want the fly beat the they will have to set a good gallop and take him out of his comfort zone.That will definitely happen they would be stupid not to.The angle I have taken is that will happen and it's going to set it up for a strong traveller I.e Grandouet,who Needed the international run badly.Binocular is by no means out of it either.The bigger Grandouet goes the more ill be having on.

Last edited:
If they want the fly beat the they will have to set a good gallop and take him out of his comfort zone.That will definitely appen they would be stupid not to.The angle I have taken is that will happen and it's going to set it up for a strong traveller I.e Grandouet,who Needed the international run badly.Binocular is by no means out of it either.The bigger Grandouet goes the more ill be having on.

i think if it is a true test then Zarkandar will win comfy tbh...its so pace dependant i'm tempted not to have an interest in it

Oh how things Change.....This is a copy I started on TRF 12 months ago. Does you good to look back and take a hard look at how wrong you can be about right or wrong about some things and change your mind about others

It can be very interesting indeed to have a look back and see haw things have developed.

i think if it is a true test then Zarkandar will win comfy tbh...its so pace dependant i'm tempted not to have an interest in it

You don't say that offen is ever. Being on Binocular I need a searching gallop, I'm not confident if getting one.

Denis O'Reagan said he'll make the running if he has to and Harry Fry says he doesn't want to make it. Denis will be happy to do so but he wont go a gallop like Overturn did

If we get a slow early pace and very soft ground Hurricane Fly will think he's still in Ireland which makes him one very dangerous horse as it will Binocular. The new kids on the block have got to take this race by the scruff of the neck and not give these two a chance.

What the fook are you on about Silly Silly Silly??????

Why the heck would Denis O'Reagan set a pace similar to Overturn? He'll ride the race to suit his horse not friggin Rock On Ruby.

What the fook are you on about Silly Silly Silly??????

Why the heck would Denis O'Reagan set a pace similar to Overturn? He'll ride the race to suit his horse not friggin Rock On Ruby.

CF stayed 14f on the flat..would get 2.5 over jumps stood on head...so needs a similar pace to ROR to have any chance of making his stamina tell late on...if he rides slower than Overturn did..he'll lose..which is why its silly to go slower

thats what the f00k i'm on about :)

Last edited:
Back