Champion Hurdle 2014

Do you not think Hezz that TNO has to be produced very late if he is to win?

He beat 2 good horses at the festival last season, but both were dour stayers done for toe, this won't be the scenario in March?

As an aside would he have won last years supreme?

You're reaching with d last 2, we haven't seen Our Conor this season, MTOY is top drawer, I respect him a hell of a lot and would be my selection at this stage outside of d new one, and while i absolutely love hurricane fly, I think this is a year too far.

Absolutely right. Pretty much how I see it

Amazing isn't it? Tno wins a decent trial by 6 lengths but has "no chance". Jezki was crap last time out but "has the class". So does Annie power who has raced against what exactly?

I think that knocking TNOs run against zarakandar last year is way too harsh.

My feeling is that in a battle with mtoy there would be one winner.

Last edited:
Do you not think Hezz that TNO has to be produced very late if he is to win?

He beat 2 good horses at the festival last season, but both were dour stayers done for toe, this won't be the scenario in March?

As an aside would he have won last years supreme?

All very good questions/theories/opinions granger. To be honest I'm not sure on the supreme part. On balance I would say no, he wouldn't have won. But I think he's been placed properly to date and wouldn't see his chances diminished by the fact he doesn't have that excelleration of a Hurricane Fly or My Tent Or Yours.

Produced late? Apologies, I haven't seen him run this season, pain in d ass for me to watch races over here. No Internet and prohibited in work. I will have to get some time in an Internet cafe and get back to you on that.

Do you think he does granger yeah?

Do you think he does granger yeah?

He doesn't have to be produced late IMO. Can't see why that should be the case at all.

One of the main reasons he ran against the staying horses last year. The Twistys would seem to be of similar thinking in saying that they didn't want to be leading at the last yesterday and like to produce him late.

Last edited:
He's produced late because his jockey believes he threw away the Neptune by going too soon on the heavy ground. Probably did, too, though no disgrace to be caught by At Fishers Cross.

He's produced late because his jockey believes he threw away the Neptune by going too soon on the heavy ground. Probably did, too, though no disgrace to be caught by At Fishers Cross.

Which race or horse are you on about here?

Apologies - it was the Neptune trial.
Sam Twiston-Davies, rider of The New One: "It´s very tough, but I used his speed and then ended up walking. I blame myself. I went too soon. I wanted to get by Coneygree before the last, but if I´d waited he´d have won."

THE NEW ONE is set for an exciting showdown at Kempton with My Tent Or Yours after Nigel Twiston-Davies reported his rising star had taken Saturday's Cheltenham win in his stride and was "100 per cent" when pulling out on Sunday morning.

The Grade 1 williamhill.com Christmas Hurdle on December 26 will mark a first hurdles clash between Britain's two premier Champion Hurdle contenders, although they did meet in a bumper at Aintree's Grand National meeting in 2012 when The New One came out on top, finishing a length and a quarter ahead.
Although an ante-post market has yet to take shape for Kempton, the sponsor on Sunday priced up the race as a match, with The New One 8-11 and My Tent Or Yours evens.

Twiston-Davies said: "The horse is 100 per cent. I can't see any obvious alternative to Kempton and therefore he's likely to run.

"He wasn't off the bridle until the run in [on Saturday] and therefore did not have a hard time of it."

The New One is 7-2 with Betfred and William Hill for the Champion Hurdle, while My Tent Or Yours is a general 4-1.

Last edited:
So far the 3 market leaders have had 1 run each this season and none of them have been breathtaking. Shortening The New One just like shortening MTOY after the fighting fifth is daylight robbery from the bookies.

THO certainly won't win a CH jumping as he did yesterday, just take the jump at the last for example, Hurricane Fly, My Tent or Yours or Our Conor all would have taken at least three lengths out of him there.

Still firmly in the Hurricane Fly camp myself until one of the new contingent show more than they have up to now.

MTOY and TNO wins this season have come in race that would have been rubbished as 'soft and uncompetitve' if they'd been run in Ireland.

MTOY and TNO wins this season have come in race that would have been rubbished as 'soft and uncompetitve' if they'd been run in Ireland.

In ireland of course they would have been Grade 1 races - they seem to have a 3 runner Grade 1 just about every Sunday nowadays :D

In ireland of course they would have been Grade 1 races - they seem to have a 3 runner Grade 1 just about every Sunday nowadays :D

I guess we only need to wait until Kempton to find out if TNO is really Grade 1-level in an open Hurdle. ;)

:D

"Our Conor is in very good shape now, we'll take him to a racecourse between now and Christmas and do his last bit of work there," Hughes told Leopardstown racecourse.

"I've been very happy with him, he's a stronger horse, he's moving terrific and I'm looking forward to the 29th.

"I suppose you could say Hurricane Fly in the Morgiana was adequate, they can only win. I thought it was a good, fast-run race, they went a real proper gallop and he won and he'll improve on it so you'd have to be very much afraid of him.

"He's had no real strong opposition for the last three years apart from the other grey horse of WIllie's (Thousand Stars) who was placed to him each time he ran.

"It looks a different cup of tea this year, the novices are much better than they were two years ago."

Back