Champion Hurdle 2014

Dessie Hughes sounds very confident of serving it up to Hurricane Fly in those comments, looking forwad to the 29th providing a few actually turn up :rolleyes: it should be a very telling race.

Willhill - Xmas hurdle match bet
TNO 8/11
MTOY EVS
SJ gone 6/5 MTOY

sorely tempting but wonder if there might be even more juice in the price nearer the time.

going to be two very interesting CH trials over xmas it seems. lets hope there's no injuries or bottle job no shows.

Last edited:
Considering Kempton looks ideal for MTOY and the fact that TNO will be turning out again so quickly - and surely there's still a slight chance they will change their minds about running him given STD's post race comments - the 8/1 about MTOY winning the Christmas Hurdle and then the Champion is great value if you fancy the horse for March.

The risk is not knowing what the opposition will be next week but would there be many horses who'd be fancied to beat MTOY on a track like this ?

Last edited:
Thurles Sunday

(1:20) 339C Horse & Jockey Hotel H'dle €10,695.00
( 2m - 4yo+ )[MAX 18]
NHFrm
D8113 1 Carriganog (APO'Brien) - . ................. (136)
64183 2 Dalasiri (SJHarty) - . ........................... (133)
71134 3 Diplomat (USA) (DKWeld) - . ............. (132)
12134 4 Massini's Trap (JANash) - . ............... (134)
4-02- 5 Our Ollie (PJGilligan) - . ..............................
2//-1 6 Rolly Baby (FR) (WPMullins) - . .................
23565 7 Rory O'Moore (RO'Neill) - . ................ (126)
f564f 8 Un Beau Matin (GElliott) - . ................ (135)
11 9 Un De Sceaux (FR) (WPMullins) - . .... (156)

Last edited:
Serious question.

Without checking - how many open Grade 1 hurdles do we think are run in Ireland and Britain? And how many of them are generally viewed as competitive?

I'll get to the point - there are 5 in Ireland and 3 in Britain.

The last 4 Champion Hurdles combined have seen around 29 runners from the UK and 16 from Ireland.

Which tells me 2 things.

People who say that Irish Grade 1 hurdles are uncompetitive are probably right.

British trainers are missing a trick by not getting their Viking helmets out and going a-raiding more often.

I'll get to the point - there are 5 in Ireland and 3 in Britain.

The last 4 Champion Hurdles combined have seen around 29 runners from the UK and 16 from Ireland.

Which tells me 2 things.

People who say that Irish Grade 1 hurdles are uncompetitive are probably right.

British trainers are missing a trick by not getting their Viking helmets out and going a-raiding more often.

Only three in the UK? You're only thinking of the 2m hurdles. I reckon there are 7 altogether

Last edited:
Back