Champion Hurdle 2014

Even great horses can only beat what's put in front of them. Doesn't mean they are not still great.

Commanche Court
Truckers Travern
Sir Rembrandt.

I know that. Hes a fine horse and the best hurdler for many years. Since Hardy Eustace certainly

More seriously, i suppose there is just a sneaking feeling that he has never really seen off a truly great challenger whereas for instance, Kauto did (not least the criminally unlucky exotic dancer)

Thats just the way it pans out

On the other hand, Ive always thought that Hardy was a little underrated.

Under any definition of hurdling, Hurricane Fly is better than Hardy Eustace.

Wins, G1 wins, Timeform rating, RPR, OR.

Just saw your second post, and I agree with all of that.

I actually thought Hurricane Fly was the second coming in his youth, when he was trouncing Go Native and the rest. I think he has turned out to become a very, very good hurdler. And his main excellence is his consistency. Much like Best Mate was a very, very good chaser.

Last edited:
He was a sick horse and looked ill in the parade that year.
I've looked through the posts and myself and Frankel and others haven't slagged The Hurricane , we have hailed him as a Champion and not undermined his fantastic achievements.
We just think that he is opposable this year.

Such sentiments are unnecessary, baracouda.

Whilst croans are stymied by having only so many brain-cells as they have teeth, deep in their black, black hearts, they know Hurricane Fly will win the Champion Hurdle. It's only THE FEAR that prevents them from acknowledging this.

Regardless, we're in the trench-warfare stage, and we all know which side of the divide we stand on. I am aligned with the judges on the hill-top, and you are at the harbouride, chattering away as you fix the nets, unaware that a tsunami is coming to sweep you away....along with Frankel, Clivex and the rest of the fishwives.

Battle has commenced, and no quarter is asked or given. The time for the niceties of logical form discussion has long-since passed - pot-shots are the order of the day.

Last edited:
Regardless, we're in the trench-warfare stage, and we all know which side of the divide we stand on. I am aligned with the judges on the hill-top, and you are at the harbouride, chattering away as you fix the nets, unaware that a tsunami is coming to sweep you away....along with Frankel, Clivex and the rest of the fishwives.

Remind me to buy a fishwive costume tomorrow;):p

Regardless, we're in the trench-warfare stage, and we all know which side of the divide we stand on. I am aligned with the judges on the hill-top, and you are at the harbourside, chattering away as you fix the nets, unaware that a tsunami is coming to sweep you away....along with Frankel, Clivex and the rest of the fishwives.

These fishwives may have recruited some miners to conduct some Messines Ridge-esque tunneling under your hill top trenches, ready to blow you off when they go over the top.

Nicky Henderspin says "about 80%" of tracheal washes currently coming back clean. Would "normally" expect it to be 95%

My Tent Or Yours set to skip a possible engagement this weekend, set to race in Bathwick Tyres Kingwell Hurdle at Wincanton on February 15.

:ninja::lol::lol:

Nicky Henderspin says "about 80%" of tracheal washes currently coming back clean. Would "normally" expect it to be 95%

My Tent Or Yours set to skip a possible engagement this weekend, set to race in Bathwick Tyres Kingwell Hurdle at Wincanton on February 15.

:ninja::lol::lol:

Hendo: "MTOY has taken a slight knock......to his knees, just after the Irish Champion Hurdle"

One thing I will say and in seriousness... I'm still surprised that the market isn't more behind HF. With the profile and the sense that he is running to previous form (although we are judging against a probably regressing animal and one that may not be as fit as he should be) then you would have expected 6/4

Grassy you're trying me... and it's worked. Be fearful of me if not of others. I ain't no daisy to your huckleberry.

Seeing Hurricane produces me similar feelings to watching Rock of Gibraltar ,

When You see frankel, sprinter Sacre and kautos You are watching other levels.

One thing I will say and in seriousness... I'm still surprised that the market isn't more behind HF. With the profile and the sense that he is running to previous form (although we are judging against a probably regressing animal and one that may not be as fit as he should be) then you would have expected 6/4

Market/fishwife opinion is informed partly by a belief that Cheltenham isn't Hurricane Fly's track.

Every other horse running at the Festival will get an extra tick against their name, if they can demonstrate any track form - yet the fishwife chatter would have you believe that it actively plays against Hurricane Fly; despite the fact he's won twice and been placed once over the Champion Hurdle C&D.

It's a theory with no basis in fact, save for the run behind RoR (wasn't at 100% after solo prep) and needing cajoled along for a couple of furlongs last year (end result another win and more records smashed to pieces).

Hurricane Fly doesn't need to worry about the track, the trip, the ground, the tactics, or the opposition. He just needs to run his race and he will despatch this lot, because he only does as much as he needs to win.

If you're looking for a parallel - albeit over fences - think Moscow Flyer.

Amazing place this. We have a among us a horse for the ages who has broken a world record and the overriding tone is 'he is not all that good really.'

Maybe he is not as good as Night Nurse or Persian War, maybe the snide comparisons to BoS are apt - but for fuqs sake can't we celebrate him for a day?

Some yoke will win a 3YO maiden for Michael Stoute at Windsor on a Monday night next year and he will be worshiped and glorified - while HF is dissed. Mad stuff.

Who compared him to Beef or Salmon ? Beefy didn't win 2 Gold Cups .

I see reasons to doubt the reliability of both the Ryanair and this race as guides to Cheltenham and it is a fair comment that although he has won 2 CHs his form in winning those did not match up to his best form at home. He is still the one to beat though I can see reasons for Our Conor's connections to be optimistic less so Jezki's .

I think the biggest threat is MTOY.

Hurricane Fly is about 4L better than an average GD1 hurdle winner .e.g. Solwhit or Countrywide Flame.

Ruby Walsh will be the studio guest tomorrow on Racing UK 12.30pm -2.30pm if you reckon we will learn anything :whistle:

I am probably more interested in hearing what he thought of Big Buck's comeback- for some reason despite Ruby having mentioned the Cleeve yesterday on ATR Gary O'Brien didn't ask him but just continued fawning.

Last edited:
Market/fishwife opinion is informed partly by a belief that Cheltenham isn't Hurricane Fly's track.

Every other horse running at the Festival will get an extra tick against their name, if they can demonstrate any track form - yet the fishwife chatter would have you believe that it actively plays against Hurricane Fly; despite the fact he's won twice and been placed once over the Champion Hurdle C&D.

It's a theory with no basis in fact, save for the run behind RoR (wasn't at 100% after solo prep) and needing cajoled along for a couple of furlongs last year (end result another win and more records smashed to pieces).

Hurricane Fly doesn't need to worry about the track, the trip, the ground, the tactics, or the opposition. He just needs to run his race and he will despatch this lot, because he only does as much as he needs to win.

If you're looking for a parallel - albeit over fences - think Moscow Flyer.

Well I doubt whether HF is worrying . He's a horse.

I'm not convinced he's seriously hampered by the track either. A bit probably but its marginal rather than critical

Our Conor will trounce Hurricane Fly. Why haven't the bookies run for cover?, as clivex has already stated he would be 7/4 at least on the bare form. They don't FEAR him as a liability obviously.
The brains and risk assessors working for the turf accountants aren't bothered by his current crop of GD1 victories with everything in his favour.
I hope that there's a massive punt on HF leading up to the race Grassy -The Hurricane has won his last Grade 1 . The King is dead long live the King

Our Conor has had two cracks now, receiving weight both times and bricking it Sunday when landing after the last ahead after a battle jump.

What happened?

Hurricane pulled clear and extended. That's there for all to see.

Bring on the hill, bring on the pace setters, bring on nickytheneedle and the Twistys, the champ is coming and he sits highly on his perch.

Our Conor has had two cracks now, receiving weight both times and bricking it Sunday when landing after the last ahead after a battle jump.

What happened?

Hurricane pulled clear and extended. That's there for all to see.

Bring on the hill, bring on the pace setters, bring on nickytheneedle and the Twistys, the champ is coming and he sits highly on his perch.

Author! Author!

That race was a sighter for the target. OC headed HF and was the last horse off the bridle swinging for home. Only his 2nd run at this level and lack of experience and being not fully primed found him out and he was eased only to beat by 1L+. He will progress ...

Back