Champion Hurdle 2014

With how the race was run, I think YES. Though I know CF would certainly have had more left to fight me aswell.

Now answer mine ;)

Fish-wives will kindly restrict themselves to mending nets and indulging in chatter. They may not make demands of the Children of the Ark.

:nono:

Hurricane Fly appears to be going away from Our Conor in the drive to the line but actually Our Conor stoped just like he did in the previous race, another 30 yards and both CCB and Jezki would have collared him. Our Conor won't even place if the top speed run starts from the top of the hill.

Place lay.

Last edited:
I will agree to stopped but in the sense that he was not given a hard race after the last hurdle. He didn't stop as if he had given everthing in a lung bursting all out driving finish with nothing spared. He was beaten in a sprint finish.
The proximity of Captain Cee Bee is enough for everyone on here - I hope- to know that the race wasn't a true test with demands on speed and hurdling.
Our Conor will place- First wins by 5L.

2014 Champion Hurdle Trends

•Katchit was the only five-year-old to win in twenty-seven years. (Our Conor, Ptit Zig, Rolling Star)

•Eighteen of the last nineteen winners all ran in the same calendar year (Hurricane Fly, Our Conor, Jezki, Melodic Rendezvous, Ptit Zig & Un De Sceaux ) Cotton Mill & Rolling Star may run in the Betfair.

•Twenty-five of the last twenty-nine winners were winners of their last prep run. (Hurricane Fly, Annie Power, My Tent Or Yours, Melodic Rendezvous Un De Sceaux & Rock On Ruby)

•There have only been four winners over the age of eight since 1951. (10yo Hurricane Fly won aged 9yo - 9yo Rock On Ruby - 10yo Thousand Stars.)

•Eighteen of the last 24 winners had won a race at Cheltenham before. (Easier to list non-course winners - Act Of Kalinisi - Cotton Mill - Jezki - Montbazon - My Tent Or Yours - Ptit Zig - Un De Sceaux)

•Irish trained horses have won this race on eight of the last fourteen runnings.(Hurricane Fly - Jezki - Our Conor - Annie Power - Thousand Stars - Un De Sceaux.)

•Check the form of the Stan James International Hurdle at Cheltenham,(The New One), Fighting Fifth Hurdle at Newcastle (My Tent Or Yours) and the Istabraq Festival Hurdle at Leopardstown.(Hurricane Fly)

•Twenty of the last 23 winners started in the top six of the betting, prior to the race. Hurricane Fly, My Tent Or Yours, The New One, Our Conor, Annie Power, Jezki.

I will agree to stopped but in the sense that he was not given a hard race after the last hurdle. He didn't stop as if he had given everthing in a lung bursting all out driving finish with nothing spared. He was beaten in a sprint finish.
The proximity of Captain Cee Bee is enough for everyone on here - I hope- to know that the race wasn't a true test with demands on speed and hurdling.
Our Conor will place- First wins by 5L.

But the gap appears as they grind it out, its when you look at the horses behind that you can fathom the stopping. They were all flat out and Our Conor looks like a short runner top speed. 5 years old.

If its a good pace on soft or worse and they're at it from the top of the hill I don't see Our Connor placing. Good to soft or better maybe different. I see the reverse for Hurricane Fly.

For that reason and so many more I definitely won't have a bet until the day.

2014 Champion Hurdle Trends

•Katchit was the only five-year-old to win in twenty-seven years. (Our Conor, Ptit Zig, Rolling Star)

•Eighteen of the last nineteen winners all ran in the same calendar year (Hurricane Fly, Our Conor, Jezki, Melodic Rendezvous, Ptit Zig & Un De Sceaux ) Cotton Mill & Rolling Star may run in the Betfair.

•Twenty-five of the last twenty-nine winners were winners of their last prep run. (Hurricane Fly, Annie Power, My Tent Or Yours, Melodic Rendezvous Un De Sceaux & Rock On Ruby)

•There have only been four winners over the age of eight since 1951. (10yo Hurricane Fly won aged 9yo - 9yo Rock On Ruby - 10yo Thousand Stars.)

•Eighteen of the last 24 winners had won a race at Cheltenham before. (Easier to list non-course winners - Act Of Kalinisi - Cotton Mill - Jezki - Montbazon - My Tent Or Yours - Ptit Zig - Un De Sceaux)

•Irish trained horses have won this race on eight of the last fourteen runnings.(Hurricane Fly - Jezki - Our Conor - Annie Power - Thousand Stars - Un De Sceaux.)

•Check the form of the Stan James International Hurdle at Cheltenham,(The New One), Fighting Fifth Hurdle at Newcastle (My Tent Or Yours) and the Istabraq Festival Hurdle at Leopardstown.(Hurricane Fly)

•Twenty of the last 23 winners started in the top six of the betting, prior to the race. Hurricane Fly, My Tent Or Yours, The New One, Our Conor, Annie Power, Jezki.

So age is the only thing that can beat Hurricane Fly.

I'd be interested in seeing how many CH winners never won a 2m grade one before (i.e. TNO) or hadn't won a race all season (i.e. OC).

So age is the only thing that can beat Hurricane Fly.

I'd be interested in seeing how many CH winners never won a 2m grade one before (i.e. TNO) or hadn't won a race all season (i.e. OC).

Hardy Eustace 2004 (1st one) was the last horse to win it without having won a race all season. Coming in with form of: 2722

I remember that Champion hurdle well. I had tipped him at big prices in the week leading up to the festival and all of the college security and tradesmen were on ,even those who didn't usually have a bet got involved in the punt.
I was the toast of Tottenham when he romped in by at least 4L I remember.
I'm telling everyone to lump on Our Conor this year. I'm expecting to be showered with plaudits once more.

He looked impressive at Cheltenham last year Clive, that is fair enough, but he beat two out and out stayers by out sprinting them. - Rule the world is a world hurdle horse now and PA would be 3 mile chasing if healthy, (possibly needing 4miles+) Any realistic Champion hurdle horse of the future would have done similar.

I do question his jumping and would see that as the main reason he avoided the supreme last year. One mistake in 6 weeks and his goose will be cooked.

You could have had similar reservations (re. What he beat) about Peddlers Cross in the Neptune in '10 and he ran with huge credit in the CH in '11. They're not too dissimilar animals. Big engines! The Fly is 3 years older, and was at the peak of his powers that day.

Re his jumping I agree. TNO will need to be spot on. I think (maybe more hope) the faster pace will help.

To be frank Tanlic you may have convinced yourself about Our Conor but to me you sound as though your heart is ruling your head. For the record I think Hurricane Fly, My Tent Or Yours, The New One and even Jezki would have looked equally as happy in that Triumph hurdle. You start by suggesting it was an impossible task given to Our Conor at Leopardstown on Sunday and to track the Fly was not the way to beat him, then you sound out a semblance of doubt “If it is possible” but to be ridden a few lengths ahead of The Fly could very well see a turnaround at Cheltenham. I thought they tried that in the previous encounter at Leopardstown and he got beaten even more emphatically, in receipt of 3Lb.

You then mention that Our Conor was always travelling well maybe even better than The Fly was to three out, but you also vent a concern that they finished in a heap yet your race reading failed to realise that the race was run at a crawl, Captain Cee Bee’s proximity should have told you that. My reading was that Ruby remained motionless until he pulled off the rail on the bend approaching two out, on straightening out of the bend the sprint for home began with Our Conor only ever getting in front courtesy of a better jump at the last then The Fly surged ahead to the line.

Watch last year’s Triumph and you will see that Our Conor never needed to come off the bridle, this year he is having to race at top speed from two and three furlongs from home and to me he is a year too young to sustain it. I’m sorry but he isn’t going to get a repeat of is Triumph stroll, he is going to get a gruelling test of his metal and I really hope it doesn’t leave a mark on him because I see him being a real star of the future, and don’t forget he will be 2Lb worse off at Cheltenham.

As for your amazement at the prices of MTOY and The New One being shorter in price than Our Conors goes, well that is because your opinion and not that of the general one dictates those prices, and if you think the value is there then act upon it.

As for your reasoning behind that amazement well even that too could be argued, with weight differences, ground conditions and distances covered being variable, but just remember MTOY finished the same distances in front of Jezki in the Supreme as Our Conor has this season and he would be expected to make significant improvement too. I suspect like Our Conor too these other contestants won’t have been fully tuned up until March either.

As for your last two paragraphs well what can I say except that without Annie Power and the rest of the field; there is six permutations and that would mean you need to toss six coins, and after all that you flippantly suggest he will win 17 lengths on the bridle.

Definitely the heart or the pocket ruling the head.
:lol:

That's an awful lot for me to handle before I die but I'll try my best.

On the subject of the pocket I dutched Our Conor and Hurricane Fly last year so if one is ruling my head then so is the other :)

On your point re tactics already being used I would take what we saw in their first encounter with a pinch of salt. It has little or no bearing on what will happen at Cheltenham.

Our Conor is a 5 year old and this season is not about running up wins. Like Katchit before him it is all about one day for Our Conor. You don't have to be a genius to work out that if have a young horse 100% at the start of the season you'll have a bag of bones come Cheltenham............Dessie Hughes if he's half the trainer I think he his will have left loads to work on.

I'd bet my last pound that if any instructions were given at Leopardstown it was win if you can but don't punish the horse.

The reason I think he can reverse placing if ridden the way I think he will be is what Rock on Ruby did to the Fly. If ROR had been held up I doubt if he'd have won that day. Tactics play a massive part in how a race unfolds and you simply don't try and outsprint a class horse like Hurricane Fly.....You turn the tap on from 2 or 3 out and force him to use up the petrol he usually keeps in reserve. Unless you know a better way of trying to beat him?

As far as bookmakers prices go, they act upon who shines first year after year. You can beat nothing and they will slash your odds by 2/3 as long as it's in a Champion Hurdle Trial. As long as you don't run again or if you run a respectable race they very seldom increase the odd son offer....Pluss punters dive in head first every time something wins one of these trials so you end up with a false market.

Yes MTOY has form with Jezki but on that run both would need to improve massively. Our Conor has shown he's not far behind the Fly, Jezki isn't that far behind them but has MTOY improved more than him??? I certainly don't think so.......he's very goodbut he'll never be good enough to win a Champion Hurdle unless it's in Wales. I think he has his limits and trials are what he is all about..Beaten by CV in the Supreme...........I think WM wont be too worried about him.

It's a dangerous game comparing for like you are doing.......especially a season apart. It's like planting 2 different trees and expecting them to reach the same height in a years time.

Nicky Henderson has been at the game along time and he might say he thinks a horse is a Champion Hurdle horse but if he has any doubts he'll have them100% for the trials and grab what he can....If they improve then fine if they don't a bird in the hand..........he's no See You Then this MTOY and AP isn't exactly confident he can win a CH either............He'll take in the Kingwell next money will be in the bank then cross fingers the race falls apart at Cheltenham and he never comes off the bridle......CF was all out from the 2nd last and he managed to get himoff the bridle after the last.. Imagine what some of these speedsters will do to him. Great Lay in running IMO.

I'm happy with my bets but my head tells me on the day the younger horse is the one who'll show them the way home..............

You are day-dreaming if you think OC wasn't ready to win in the Irish Champion. He has been beaten twice - fair and square.......fact.

Whilst receiving weight...

In Ireland, on less testing tracks than Cheltenham and on heavy Irish winter ground. All HF strengths.

Yourself and Grasshopper make very valid points and present very valid facts regarding HF, that cannot be argued with.

But neither of you ever mention that arguably the worst 3 runs of his career have been at Cheltanham. And the level of competition he beat in Cheltenham for his 2 previous CH victories were not a patch on what he will race this year.

And as previously mentioned I am firmly of the opinion that he does not travel well. HF hates the trip from Ireland to England!

You are day-dreaming if you think OC wasn't ready to win in the Irish Champion. He has been beaten twice - fair and square.......fact.

I backed OC ante-post (8/1 nrnb) for the big one before the last race because I didn't think he'd be ready. He was just out for the fresh air the time before and looked a class horse before fitness failed him. Last time was just another step along the way.

I wouldn't read anything into the 2lbs difference either. It was never going to be a factor last time and it won't in March.

I do have concerns that this is maybe just a year too soon but I wonder how many 5yos of OC's ability have tried. He was possibly the best ever winner of the Triumph, therefore possibly better than Persian War.

"Alice Plunkett interviewing Ruby Walsh 30 seconds after last years CH :

AP: Ruby... Another champion hurdle?

RW: Yeah, brilliant, em, I can't say I was ever overly confident, I was confident as hell for the last 3 weeks, but from the word go I was never....... He didn't travel like he can, he make a mistake or two, but in fairness to him, what he has as well as all the class he has, He has an unbelievable big heart for a small horse, he's as tough as nails, and because I wasn't going and I wasn't happy, I'm in front about 2 furlongs too soon. But eh, he pinged the last, which he always does and he ground it out to the line. He's a cracking horse and I'm glad that he got it back and showed everyone that he is a true Champion Hurdler, coz he is, he's a wonderful little horse."

For me this sums it up perfectly. HF is a class horse, but he just does not produce his best form at Cheltenham. And in this year's renewal he just has too many legitimate challengers to fend off.

If two of his three worst performances have resulted in winning champion hurdles he must be some horse DH

Well there is no doubt he is some horse. As Euro suggests, there is definitely a class angle. In in his 3 Champion Hurdle Runs the 2 best horses he faced in were ROR and Peddlers.

So really only one top class challenger each time.

He's going to face 3 or 4 top class challengers this year.

And the level of competition he beat in Cheltenham for his 2 previous CH victories were not a patch on what he will race this year!

This gets levelled each year and when Jezki and MTOYs are gone chasing and OC and TNO are considered more World Hurdle types than CH this comment of what did he beat will still be thrown at him from some quarters.

Back