Champion Hurdle 2014

He's no Hurricane Fly just yet, but as far as respect and credit is deserved, it appears that Melodic has a lot in common with The FLY; seems he does not even enter many a persons calculations! Man I hope they take on extra chefs on course next Tuesday to dish out the humble pie!

Last edited:
I take it that it's beyond consideration to run AP in both races :ninja: Mullins has history at big meetings, he did it at Royal Ascot with a horse whose name I forget.

Geraghty is 4/4 on Jezki btw according to The Voice.

This is ridiculous, Willie Mullins is running scared because CCB is entered pull the other one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is ridiculous, Willie Mullins is running scared because CCB is entered pull the other one!

Exactly.....it's verging on laughable.

Marble, here's the extent of the comparisons between HF and MR - both are horses, and that's the end of it. :cool:

An interesting 24 hours!!!

Ok I'm finally going to nail my colours to the mast. The going is likely to be good to soft at worst and Captain Cee Bee has been supplemented to make the pace, both of which I believe are much against Hurricane Fly. With softer ground and no likely pacemaker (I never believed Jezki was going to be sacrificed as a pacemaker), I believe HF would have won but not now and I can't back him. In fact I actually believe the Fishwives that have been shouting 'plaice' lay will be rubbing their hands at the latest developments! :D

So who benefits? Surely the trainers of the other four main contenders will be delighted at this news. Of the four I'd be most concerned about Our Connor seeing it out, and I suspect he'll be first off the bridle. I don't see him placing and probably finishes fourth or fifth. I'm firmly in the 'next year' camp.

That leaves me with MTOY, TNO, and Jezki to fight it out. A year on and I think most likely MTOY and Jezki finish in exactly the same way as last year. MTOY getting first run and Jezki needing another half a furlong to get to him. I do think Jezki is a cracking e/w bet though and should Geraghty ride him closer to the pace he has a squeak and can reverse form with MTOY. So that leaves me with The New One who I'm absolutely confident will reverse Kempton form with MTOY up the hill. I'm not sure he'll beat him a long way but I do think he'll out-battle MTOY.

So for me it's likely I will back The New One to win with a bit of each way cover on Jezki, but it won't be until the morning of the race because.............

.............I think JP has pulled a master stroke of timing. While Willie has been talking to the press, JP outmanoeuvred him almost immediately after Willie revealed his 'final' plans.

But Willie still has cards to play. I suspect until JP supplemented CCB he was quietly confident of a Fly win because he would have felt that nothing would take them on at the pace that MTOY and TNO definitely need. And if that were the case the Fly was likely to be able easily lay up and sprint away from at them business end. Willie knows the strengths and weaknesses of his own horse and he knows the Fly cannot afford to be off the bridle anywhere before the home turn, and now that's a very real possibility. In fact if anything it's highly likely Ruby will be scrubbing him along when the pace lifts. So, whatever he thinks of Hurricane Fly, he still wants to win the race, and if Willie recognises this and he does run something else it's almost an admission that he thinks it's unlikely the Fly will win.

So that takes us to what he potentially does with Un des Sceaux or Annie Power, (Thousand Stars just isn't a player). If, as has been suggested, he intended leaving UDS out of his plans because he thought he could either beat the Fly or his running style would be to the detriment of the Fly, he surely has to rethink now. His decision is whether he genuinely thinks the horse is good enough or not. He also becomes an ew alternative to Jezki because Willie won't send him as an allsoran. And if he doesn't think UDS is up to it he could yet still switch AP back from the Stayers (also possibly to JP's benefit!). Given Ruby's comments that no gelding can give her 7lb's and there is no doubt over the stiff 2 mile trip quite frankly if you were Ricci, after this latest development, you'd want to give Willie a very big nudge back towards the Champion Hurdle. Particularly as a tilt at the Champion was the single reason for keeping her over hurdles. If that should happen she's my bet. I believe she wins the Champion Hurdle off a quick or generous pace, and whilst I still think it unlikely she'll run in the race, it must be back under consideration.

Convoluted I know, but I'm finally confident I know how I'm going to play the race pending final declarations, but not as confident as I am in the fact I'll be forever more branded 'Chief Fishwife'!!! :D

Hahahaha. Too much sun for this man i think. The inclusion of CCB is nothing more than desperation from an owner who knows he is beaten. I've never heard a stable so confidident as they are for Hurricane Fly this year. Best shape of his life right now.

Last edited:
I think they were a lot more confident last year than this year to be honest. Last year Paddy Mullins said he'd bare his arse off the bridge in Carlow if the fly was beaten. No such promise this year when asked if he'd do the same if HF was beaten this year.

The opposition this year is a lot stronger too & it'll be ran on Good/Soft instead of soft. People laugh at Captain Cee Bee. Simple fact is we know he finished less than 3L behind HF last time out as a 13 year old. The Jockey has said that worries him and that wont change no matter how much any keyboard warrior here tries to persuade themselves otherwise.

And don't give me "the race was run at a crawl" line because HF has put huge gaps between him and the 2nd & 3rd finishing horse lots of times before off a slow pace the same way he's done it off a faster pace.

You need to completely ignore the CCB factor in his races this year. They ignored him completely the first time anyway. In these events, you get races within races. Forget that the Fly only beat CCB so far. It's entirely irrelevant. The only relevance is how those who were genuinely competing against each other fared.

The Fly came out on top because he was the best and fittest on the day. He was the one 100% trier as has so often been the case (and was with Istabraq back then).

They didn't give CCB as much rope next time but he was still an irrelevance. Our Conor got much closer because he was a bit fitter.

I don't know how good a reader Ken Pitterson (The Weekender) is as I tend not to read him. But his headline this week caught my eye so I read his comments [on OC]:

"...and, having seen him in the paddock before his last start, it was clearly evident he still wasn't 100% fit... Physically, he has improved since last season."

Does anyone know if Timeform or Raceform made such comments at the time?

Last edited:
From the RP analysis last time:

This was more like the Our Conor we saw last year, and if last year is anything to go by there may well be better to come at Cheltenham. Danny Mullins rode him with plenty of confidence, he travelled strongly to challenge and lead at the last but the manner in which the winner went away from him in the last 50 yards suggested he may still have needed it slightly. Write him off for the Champion Hurdle at your peril.

Our Comor was freakishly weak in the market LTO. When Hurricane Fly had a set back on the week of the race they came for Jezki and the same happened on the show of the race. I've no strong opinion on the race but I can see why OC backers e/w at 9/2 think they have put their money in very good.

Do you have anything concrete to back up the latter part of your statement?

Supposition and circumstance but nothing concrete. Hurricane Fly's stated target, iirc, at the start of the season was to pick up another clutch of Gr1s en route to the big one - presumably because they couldn't be 100% of winning after having the race fall into his lap last year and being exposed the previous year (when possible not 100%, I accept).

Why would they gamble his chances of those Gr1s on a lack of fitness?

For Jezki and Our Conor, this is their graduation year. They're not going to have the gun put to their head so the percentage call is to let HF have his wins but see if you're progressing by comparison.

I expect both Jezki and, especially, Our Conor to put up improved performances relative to Hurricane Fly.

I am under no illusions, though. The Fly is one to beat and if nothing improves beyond what they have shown so far he can hardly lose. I just think at least the two mentioned will improve plenty.

While last year's juveniles have been finding 10-12lbs this season, my figures for OC are pretty much still on a par with last year's. I expect him to reveal that 10lbs improvement on Tuesday.

Off topic slightly but just for interest, and to avoid opening another thread, interested by the fact Jezki wearing first time hood. This was the record last year of all horses wearing first time headgear.

Day 1
His Excellency Arkle- 3rd 80/1
Rock On Ruby CH- 2nd 11/2
Ackertac Novice H/Cap Chase - 2nd 66/1

Day2
Tour D'Argent Coral Cup - Unp 50/1
Timesawastin Coral Cup- Unp 50/1
Flaxen Flare Fred Winter - 1st 25/1
Ruacana Fred Winter - Unp 14/1

Day3
Benefficient Jewson NC - 1st 20/1
Holywell Pertemps - 1st 25/1
Same Difference Fulke Walwyn - 1st 16/1

Day 4
Vasco Du Ronceray Triumph - Unp 20/1
Brampour Vincent O'Brien - Unp 50/1
Act Of Kalanasi Conditional Jockeys HC Hurdle - Unp 50/1

Can't be assed to work it out exactly but level stakes profit, both win or ew, backing everything wearing first time headgear.

It can't be ruled out.

It can. No way this happens - the front-end of the market is too strong, and he has had an interrupted prep. Not the profile of a horse to draw plunge-money......regardless of the totally irrelevant added-presence of CCB .

Kauto Abu, a literal reading of the ICH form - and inferring HF is only 3lbs superior to CCB on the back of it- is a patent nonsense. It's nothing more than straw-clutching by fishwives, and I refuse to believe that this is a serious suggestion.

Last edited:
Hurricane Fly's stated target, iirc, at the start of the season was to pick up another clutch of Gr1s en route to the big one -

Not true

Stated target re Walsh/Mullins and common sense imo has been the champ hurdle and to be a three time winner

He keeps winning Grade 1's because for whatever reason you wish to put forward he keeps beating his rivals

Can't be assed to work it out exactly but level stakes profit, both win or ew, backing everything wearing first time headgear.

There's a lightweight snippet in similar vein in The Weekender which concludes you have to trust the right trainers.

One year wouldn't be a reliable sample but I'd be pretty sure there's someone out there with access to the data and who can give a clearer picture, maybe going back 5-10 years?

I wonder if anyone put the three Thursday winners in one line :blink:

They didn't give CCB as much rope next time but he was still an irrelevance. Our Conor got much closer because he was a bit fitter.

He got nearer because he was 1lb better off at the weights, they ran at a crawl and it turned into a straight forward sprint.

He will be 2Lb worse off which should negate any improvement and you cant get away from the fact that he capitulated in the battle on both occasions at the same length of time.

Both races were the only times he'd had to do battle against top grade horses, fit or not the top speed gallop will always be the same.....any improvement in condition will just enable the horse to stay longer into the race before it has to be used.

With the top speed gallop generally starting to wind up a furlong further out than in most races I cant see how or where he is going to draw the requisite form improvement to get into the shake up.

At 5 it will be more than likely that he could improve enough for next year but he has shown so far to be a precocious type like most Jeremy's so that's not a guarantee.

Last edited:
Even if Captain Cee Bee is down to set the pace, there is no guarantee that they go with it, just look at those last 2 races in Ireland.

They will go with it all right....they Sh1t themselves that they had got it wrong in the first of the Leopardstown races, you could see them panic as they rousted their mounts 3 out to try and reel him in.

They wont want him to get away and get the chance to fill up coming down the hill, He wasn't beaten that far in each of the Leopardstown races and he looked to rally after being caught. He has proven once before that he can battle up this hill.

Last edited:
Captain Cee Bee is a total irrelevance in this Champion Hurdle. He has no more chance than some of the hounds that Fergus Wilson has run in the race over the years.

I can't believe that some are talking-up the late supplemenr of this horse as if it compromises HFs chances. The idea is utter fu*cking lunacy.

Off topic slightly but just for interest, and to avoid opening another thread, interested by the fact Jezki wearing first time hood. This was the record last year of all horses wearing first time headgear.

Day 1
His Excellency Arkle- 3rd 80/1
Rock On Ruby CH- 2nd 11/2
Ackertac Novice H/Cap Chase - 2nd 66/1

Day2
Tour D'Argent Coral Cup - Unp 50/1
Timesawastin Coral Cup- Unp 50/1
Flaxen Flare Fred Winter - 1st 25/1
Ruacana Fred Winter - Unp 14/1

Day3
Benefficient Jewson NC - 1st 20/1
Holywell Pertemps - 1st 25/1
Same Difference Fulke Walwyn - 1st 16/1

Day 4
Vasco Du Ronceray Triumph - Unp 20/1
Brampour Vincent O'Brien - Unp 50/1
Act Of Kalanasi Conditional Jockeys HC Hurdle - Unp 50/1

£77 level stakes profit for £1 win......£145 level stakes profit for £1 e/w

Would have won the League of Neightions comp blindly

Last edited:
Betfred lunchtime special is The fly at 4/1. No idea what they'll lay or how long this will be available for though.

Captain Cee Bee is a total irrelevance in this Champion Hurdle. He has no more chance than some of the hounds that Fergus Wilson has run in the race over the years.

I can't believe that some are talking-up the late supplemenr of this horse as if it compromises HFs chances. The idea is utter fu*cking lunacy.

I think his lunatic owner who knows nothing, just forked out £20,000 to help HF as much as anything else in the race..:whistle::whistle::whistle:

I think they sussed Our Conor has got no ball's ..:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Last edited:
Back