Champion Hurdle 2014

I had always rated Mullins quite high but the old man has lost his head
Lets see if he bypasses Puchestown with UDS after Hurricane is not placed next Tuesday
the most stupid decision I have seen since I follow racing

Take the blinkers off Sunybay.

Maybe, just maybe he's not wrong with his opinion of not wanting to bottom the horse.

Our Conor reported to have settled in well - all Dessie Hughes needs to do now is nick Danny Mullins' passport and pop it in the shredder.

Take the blinkers off Sunybay.

Maybe, just maybe he's not wrong with his opinion of not wanting to bottom the horse.

Two questions

Do You think any other trainer in the world would have bypassed the race?

Do You think if hurricane fly were not running willie would not have run?

Ruby is the boss and Townnend will have to look for a Job in England.

It would great the hurricane is not place and UDS wins at punchestown,
Willies face could be a poem.

Final word
Mullins is not guilty that the owner is such a stupid man.

I hate news of good preparations too.

The report said he worked well, not that he showed champion hurdle level performance in the gallop.

Two questions

Ruby is the boss and Townnend will have to look for a Job in England.

It would great the hurricane is not place and UDS wins at punchestown,
Willies face could be a poem.

Final word
Mullins is not guilty that the owner is such a stupid man.

Am sure lots of trainers would in a similar scenario.Annie would be their second best bet leaving UDS third.

You have long held an opinion against hurricane for some reason.

To be fair Granger what Suny says is about AP and UDS not HF. And he's right, both deserve to take their chance and don't because Willie wants to keep them away from HF.

I think the point stands more so about AP. We all talk with fondness about Dawn Run and she'll never get the chance to try and emulate what that great mare did because of this compromise decision. The Champion Hurdle is clearly the better race for her at this stage. Despite what Ruby says she's not bred for a trip, and if she's going to get on it'll be when she matures.

In terms of UDS, he's also earned the right based on some exceedingly fast times that have not been bettered by the main propagandists in their trials. He could be anything because he's avoided the big Irish three but deserves his shot on bare form alone.

9 final decs. as expected.

BiRxEMOIMAAnwf3.jpg:large

Two questions

1. Yes

2. Potentially

I don't think being patient and taking the long term view with a young horse who goes to the well when he runs is any bad thing. He's hoovered up nice prize money with the horse already this season and will do so again at Punchestown. It's not cheltenham or bust.

Don't see what all the fuss is about. Annie is not quick for 2 miles, especially on the drying ground. UDS in Mullins eyes is not ready for a test of this magnitude. One I agree with.

I've just played about a wee bit with youtube.

It wouldn't be an exact science and there was the odd stutter in each of the films but I synched the recordings of both the Triumph and the County to see how they compared.

The County was definitely faster in the early stages. At the second flight the leader was about 5 lengths ahead of the Triumph. At the third last they were together, so either they slowed up a bit in the County or they picked up in the Triumph or a bit of both, and stayed there until after the second last.

That was where the entire complexion changed.

The leaders in the County ran to the line pretty much at the same speed as the second & third in the Triumph but Our Conor went 15 lengths away from them without being given a hard race.

The County was a strong race - it always is - fought out by two proper plots. For Our Conor to be able to run home from the turn 15 lengths faster is nothing short of jawdropping.

My final time rating for Our Conor is 34lbs faster than Ted Veale's.

It isn't possible to conclude that the County was entirely true-run as it would make Our Conor's rating better than 180 but the fact there was never more than a second or so between two large fields until after the turn for home and the leaders didn't fade would point to at least a fair pace.

I'm happy enough with the 8/1 I have about Our Conor and am not yet tempted to top up at 4/1. That's not to say it isn't a good price. If I wasn't already on I'd be happy to take that but I suspect there might be a wee drift as the race approaches and I think a few firms might go 5/1 on Tuesday morning, at which point I probably will go in again.

Having seen those films again, I'm more convinced than ever that Our Conor will win by at least five lengths.

Last edited:
Hardy Eustace 2 time Champion Hurdle winner trained by Dessie Hughes master of getting them ready for the big one. HE lost all of his 'prep' races and was produced each time for the one day that mattered. Our Conor has had his prep races . now he's ready and primed.

The County was definitely faster in the early stages. At the second flight the leader was about 5 lengths ahead of the Triumph. At the third last they were together, so either they slowed up a bit in the County or they picked up in the Triumph or a bit of both, and stayed there until after the second last.

That was where the entire complexion changed.

The leaders in the County ran to the line pretty much at the same speed as the second & third in the Triumph but Our Conor went 15 lengths away from them without being given a hard race.

The County was a strong race - it always is - fought out by two proper plots. For Our Conor to be able to run home from the turn 15 lengths faster is nothing short of jawdropping.

Very Good DO. Barry Connell just referenced this very video split screen on an ATR interview. His version was that Ted Veale was jumping the last when Our Conor was passing the line......

Very Good DO. Barry Connell just referenced this very video split screen on an ATR interview. His version was that Ted Veale was jumping the last when Our Conor was passing the line......

There was a going change after the second race because of the torrent that fell between the first and second races, all the County field finished with the same colours on...dark brown

Our Conor ran 14.77 seconds per furlong, on the bridle until he met the rising ground.

Far West ran 14.94 seconds per furlong, nearly a second per mile faster than the County, driven from some way out.

Ted Veale ran 15.77 seconds per furlong, given a excellently judged ride.

The Supreme were fastest on slightly slower ground than the Triumph..14.27 seconds per furlong with in my opinion the most evenly paced race.

Next best was the Champion at 14.5 seconds per furlong with a suicidal middle section

Slowest on slightly the quickest ground but they travelled furthest was the Neptune 15.07 seconds per furlong, with the fastest finish.

Last edited:
Hardy Eustace 2 time Champion Hurdle winner trained by Dessie Hughes master of getting them ready for the big one. HE lost all of his 'prep' races and was produced each time for the one day that mattered. Our Conor has had his prep races . now he's ready and primed.

And now the ante post market has closed he's on the slide.

Fair Play Max. You've obviously done extensive work on this. And from reading your posts you seem to rate the English form ahead of the Irish.

If you are right, I'll take that as I'm happy to take my chances with TNO reversing xmas hurdle with MTOY.

Not long to wait to find out.

Mick Fitz giving his thoughts on the CH on ATR right now ......

Fair Play Max. You've obviously done extensive work on this. And from reading your posts you seem to rate the English form ahead of the Irish.

That form is Cheltenham English and Irish...Whatever beats The Fly wins...whatever beats MTOY wins...simple...Jezki thereabouts.

Our Conor and The New One unplaced.

Hardy Eustace was as tough as nails and found lots for pressure. I don't think OC is half as tough as that. He's still 5. Unless he wins on the bridle I honest can't see him winning.

Hardy Eustace was as tough as nails and found lots for pressure. I don't think OC is half as tough as that. He's still 5. Unless he wins on the bridle I honest can't see him winning.

They were also able to dictate the pace gradually increasing and drawing the sting from the finishers with Hardly Useless.

From what we seen so far Our Conor will have to be covered up until 10 yards from the line:lol: not going to happen when CCB starts the oarsmans beat 3 furlongs out.

Last edited:
There was a going change after the second race because of the torrent that fell between the first and second races, all the County field finished with the same colours on...dark brown

Our Conor ran 14.77 seconds per mile, on the bridle until he met the rising ground.

Far West ran 14.94 seconds per mile, nearly a second per mile faster than the County, driven from some way out.

Ted Veale ran 15.77 seconds per mile, given a excellently judged ride.

The Supreme were fastest on slightly slower ground than the Triumph..14.27 seconds per mile with in my opinion the most evenly paced race.

Next best was the Champion at 14.5 seconds per mile with a suicidal middle section

Slowest on slightly the quickest ground but they travelled furthest was the Neptune 15.07 seconds per mile, with the fastest finish.

The RP going correction tells an altogether different story, though.

On Tuesday it was -0.55s.
On Wednesday, -0.75s.
Thursday (new course), -0.79s
Friday, -1.19s

So the going was a lot softer on the Friday to start with.

It also says the time for the opener suggested that the rain was already getting into the ground.

Last edited:
If the betting is the best guide line then My Tent is nice and taught and the gamble has started.

Our Conors on the ropes...drifting backwards like he's just tackled The Fly in a finish..

Back