Champions Day

They need a new bloodstock advisor and need to hope the National Stakes works out....

Steinbeck is short based on the comments made by O'Brien earlier in the year. He won a decent enough race without really being asked a question and the bookies are never going to take a chance on the price in case they get caught with their pants down. They know where they are with the other horses.

Agree with DJ that Arcano is the standout price though; he does not need to improve much and looks a proper 2yo.

Last edited:
I backed him for the Derby after the National Stakes but this move puts me right off. Sheikh Mo should just leave him with Bolger.

I wonder does the purchase of these two (Kingsfort and Chabal) let Godolphin aim their American bred Al Zir at the Breeders Cup meeting and perhaps the Kentucky Derby.

Lets hope Elusive Pimpernel lives up to his name !

The rumour mill has been going around for some time that Godolphin are keen to get him...but connections are keen to hold on to him. Darley certainly are not shy about grabbing whatever they want (and it's their right). Makes you think one or two trainers must surely shy away from over exposing a two year old in the knowledge of an huge offer is likely to come their way if it catches the Sheikh's eye.

You'd think they'd keep him with Bolger after New Approach. I don't like the man but he knows whats going on more that Suroor.

Sariska has been rested since August 20th - that will be near enough 2 months since her last race. That's one reason I think she is value.

Clerk at Nmkt has said he will water if there is no rain in the next day or two.
It's been very dry here, c30 miles east of HQ.

Makes you think one or two trainers must surely shy away from over exposing a two year old in the knowledge of an huge offer is likely to come their way if it catches the Sheikh's eye.

I am sure you are correct but Bolger is not in that category. He has been very bullish about the horse from day one. Bolger is probably a better gauge of horses than the Sheikh's dream management team. It is interesting that Mr Bolger sends so many of his mares to Galileo perhaps as a back door to the sire versus a sales war at the auctions.

The rumour mill has been going around for some time that Godolphin are keen to get him...but connections are keen to hold on to him. Darley certainly are not shy about grabbing whatever they want (and it's their right). Makes you think one or two trainers must surely shy away from over exposing a two year old in the knowledge of an huge offer is likely to come their way if it catches the Sheikh's eye.

Im not sure it is the sheiks eye that is caught. It is probably Crisford and Ferguson that make the suggestions and then ask for the green light and the mastercard!

Is it not a bit daft to boycott yearlings by Coolmore stallions and then to buy horses by those stallions after they have started their racing career? New Approach, Kite Wood and Chabal are all Galileo colts. Surely this undermines the principle of their boycott.

Is it not a bit daft to boycott yearlings by Coolmore stallions and then to buy horses by those stallions after they have started their racing career? New Approach, Kite Wood and Chabal are all Galileo colts. Surely this undermines the principle of their boycott.

It's a cunning plan - they buy up say 20 Galileo's and only 2 of them win G1's, the other 18 who could all win group races are left in the barn and Galileo's stock reduces ;)

It's a cunning plan - they buy up say 20 Galileo's and only 2 of them win G1's, the other 18 who could all win group races are left in the barn and Galileo's stock reduces ;)

Let us know when that starts working :lol:

Seriously though, it's a sham of a position. Coolmore clearly aren't being significantly affected by it, Sheikh Mohammed is ending up with them anyway, so the only people getting screwed are the breeders who have less chance of making a profit in a less competitive market.

Sariska has been rested since August 20th - that will be near enough 2 months since her last race. That's one reason I think she is value.

...In fact I think she'll be very hard to beat. Fame is a better horse but would have to bounce back from a quite jaded performance.

Thoughts on Silver Grecian for the Dewhurst?

He is likeable and I think he is capable of reversing form with Poet's Voice but not sure he is quite up to winning this.

Interesting that Arcano has been pretty easy in the betting - I thought he would be the one well backed.

Back