Cheltenham 2016/2017

King said beforehand Yanworth needed the race and would come on for it EC. For him to beat Lil Reckerfella a shade cozily in the end after Barry had to get into him is to his credit. It's reasonable to expect him to step up considerably next time I'd suggest.

fair comment..Yanworth may be better than Lil...at the moment..its the forward viewing of improvement with Lil that makes the prices attractive..i'm not on myself but Lil is defying the rating every run..a sure sign of improvement..and racing is based on improvement..or the appreciation of it as i see it

horses improve..some get to the level they are after two or three runs..some over a period of runs..collier bay was no big contender early on..horses improve..that needs to be allowed for..it may be that 3 miles empties such as Lil..but a progressive profile always attracts me rather than a really good horse after 2 runs who stays at a similar level for the next 20 runs

the game is so complicated..but the horse improver often defies logic i have found

Last edited:
I'm in the camp that Lil Rockerfella will see out a trip despite his breeding suggesting otherwise. I don't see him winning a Grade 1 over three miles though, unless it's a poor one. I suspect he's one of those horses that'll be hard to place this season. Too high in the handicap but just short of top class. Just a tough genuine horse that gives his all. He's with an unfashionable stable so generally goes over the odds, so for those that fancy an ew bet in a World Hurdle that could well be a weak renewal isn't exactly crazy stuff at a price.

On the breeding front there are plenty of horses that have made a mockery of genetics. Kauto Star would be a great example. And wasn't Red Rum supposed to be a 7 furlong sprinter!

lil rockerfeller is type of horse..had it been with certain connections..would have won a string of handicaps by now..not that i'm suggesting any underhandness of course to get those wins:D

There's a few people on a local internet board thinking about b & b for The Festival but understandably wanting to know how to find "decent well behaved" clients. Anyone of that description on here want a word put in ?

There's a few people on a local internet board thinking about b & b for The Festival but understandably wanting to know how to find "decent well behaved" clients. Anyone of that description on here want a word put in ?

I'd be looking for "decent well-behaved" hosts... the last time I stayed b&b (for the Open Meeting about 9 years ago) my hosts were banging like barn doors on a stormy night.

Basterts never even invited me to join them.

Last edited:
My Tent Or Yours in the International is a bet here then and is now 5/2, was 11/4 minutes ago.

There's no doubt he comes with risks but while the RP doesn't contain the weights, the conditions of the race mean he'll be getting weight from everything bar Melodic Rendezvous.

King seems pretty confident Yanworth won't be going (now available at 6s), Mullins hasn't historically targeted this race and to the best of my knowledge Sempre Medici last year is his only ever runner in it. If that signaled a change in thinking then Ivan Grozny would be of obvious appeal but he's currently non committal and I reckon he'll give it a miss.

Elliott has pretty much ruled out Labaik and he's has short as 12 for the Ladbroke the following week. That leaves The New One, who's surely been trained thus far this season with a novice chase campaign in mind and must give MTOY 8lbs, Old Guard (ditto), Hargam, Court Minstrel, Melodic Rendezvous (NR with the ground the way its is ?) and Mister Miyagi.

The latter is pretty unexposed despite being a 7yo but he was seen off by Hargam and Court Minstrel in October and it would have to be classed as a shock if he could give 4lbs to MTOY.

All in all it would be a shocking race for the money if Yanworth and Ivan Grozny are absent but on a better surface than at Haydock MTOY is the class horse in the race and yet receives over half a stone form most of the others.

Last edited:
My Tent Or Yours in the International is a bet here then and is now 5/2, was 11/4 minutes ago.

There's no doubt he comes with risks but while the RP doesn't contain the weights, the conditions of the race mean he'll be getting weight from everything bar Melodic Rendezvous.

King seems pretty confident Yanworth won't be going (now available at 6s), Mullins hasn't historically targeted this race and to the best of my knowledge Sempre Medici last year is his only ever runner in it. If that signaled a change in thinking then Ivan Grozny would be of obvious appeal but he's currently non committal and I reckon he'll give it a miss.

Elliott has pretty much ruled out Labaik and he's has short as 12 for the Ladbroke the following week. That leaves The New One, who's surely been trained thus far thus season with a novice chase campaign in mind and must give MTOY 8lbs, Old Guard (ditto), Hargam, Court Minstrel, Melodic Rendezvous (NR with the ground the way its is ?) and Mister Miyagi.

The latter is pretty unexposed despite being a 7yo but he was seen off by Hargam and Court Minstrel in October and it would have to be classed as a shock if he could give 4lbs to MTOY.

All in all it would be a shocking race for the money if Yanworth and Ivan Grozny are absent but on a better surface than at Haydock MTOY is the class horse in the race and yet receives over half a stone form most of the others.

I backed it last night when I heard that Yanworth wasn't going to run.

Rightly or wrongly he'll be no bigger than a 5/4 shot on the day so 11/4 was a gift and I'll probably trade enough off to cover my stake in case he dogs it. I see he was as big as 4s with Power yesterday, I hope you got some of that Tiggers.

Last edited:
The pace angle is a slight concern. Melodic Rendezvous has led and did at Haydock LTO but there has to be a chance he may not run if the ground is riding quick, despite the intended watering. The New One won't want a dawdle so he could go on in his absence but if push comes to shove JP and Nicky have Hargam as an intended runner too so you never know, he could make it.

I can't see the ground being a problem.

JOB enters Zig Zag and Lord Justice for Triumph trial on Saturday presumably to get an early sighter of how Landofhopeandglory's form stacks against what's currently being risked this side of the water.

Presuming they run of course.

Last edited:
Latest going ahead of Friday

Chase and Hurdle course GOOD, XCountry GOOD TO FIRM, FIRM IN PLACES. Unsettled forecast, team still watering.

Back