Cheltenham 2016/2017

weights out for the Bet Victor Chase as well

[FONT=&quot]Horse Age Wgt Owner Trainer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]IRISH CAVALIER (IRE) 7 11-12 A McIver Rebecca Curtis [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TOP GAMBLE (IRE) 8 11-12 Walters Plant Hire & James & Jean Potter Kerry Lee [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VIBRATO VALTAT (FR) 7 11-11 Axom XLIII Paul Nicholls [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BALLYNAGOUR (IRE) 10 11-09 Allan Stennett David Pipe [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TAQUIN DU SEUIL (FR) 9 11-08 Martin Broughton & Friends 1 Jonjo O'Neill [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ANNACOTTY (IRE) 8 11-08 Mrs Peter Prowting Alan King [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ART MAURESQUE (FR) 6 11-08 Mrs Johnny de la Hey Paul Nicholls [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VILLAGE VIC (IRE) 9 11-07 Alan Peterson Philip Hobbs [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]MORE OF THAT (IRE) 8 11-06 J P McManus Jonjo O'Neill [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BRISTOL DE MAI (FR) 5 11-06 Simon Munir & Isaac Souede Nigel Twiston-Davies [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SIZING GRANITE (IRE) 8 11-06 Ann & Alan Potts Colin Tizzard [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SAPHIR DU RHEU (FR) 7 11-05 The Stewart Family Paul Nicholls [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]EMPIRE OF DIRT (IRE) 9 11-03 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GARDE LA VICTOIRE (FR) 7 11-03 Diana Whateley Philip Hobbs [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TRIOLO D'ALENE (FR) 9 11-02 Mr & Mrs Sandy Orr Nicky Henderson [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BUYWISE (IRE) 9 11-02 T Hywel Jones Evan Williams [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TENOR NIVERNAIS (FR) 9 11-02 Boultbee Brooks Ltd Venetia Williams [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HENRI PARRY MORGAN 8 11-02 Ednyfed & Elizabeth Morgan Peter Bowen [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VOIX D'EAU (FR) 6 11-01 Harry Fry Racing - Voix D'Eau Syndicate Harry Fry [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]INDIAN STREAM 7 11-00 Mrs G Davies Neil Mulholland [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]KING'S ODYSSEY (IRE) 7 10-13 William & Angela Rucker Evan Williams [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]REGAL ENCORE (IRE) 8 10-13 J P McManus Anthony Honeyball [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CAID DU BERLAIS (FR) 7 10-12 Donlon, Doyle, MacDonald & C Barber Paul Nicholls [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BOUVREUIL (FR) 5 10-12 J P McManus Paul Nicholls [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TURBAN (FR) 9 10-11 Turbanators Paul Henderson [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DOUBLE SHUFFLE (IRE) 6 10-11 Crossed Fingers Partnership Tom George [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ASO (FR) 6 10-10 The Bellamy Partnership Venetia Williams [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SHANAHAN'S TURN (IRE) 8 10-09 Ann & Alan Potts Colin Tizzard [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SIZING PLATINUM (IRE) 8 10-08 Ann & Alan Potts Colin Tizzard [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BALLYKAN 6 10-07 Simon Munir & Isaac Souede Nigel Twiston-Davies [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]STILLETTO (IRE) 7 10-07 Roger Brookhouse Johnny Farrelly [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AS DE MEE (FR) 6 10-05 The Stewart Family & Judi Dench Paul Nicholls [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]JOHNNY OG 7 10-05 T Hanlon M Boothright S Hanlon N Martin Martin Keighley [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]KING'S SOCKS (FR) 4 10-04 Bryan Drew David Pipe [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VINTAGE VINNIE (IRE) 7 10-04 Trembath, Hyde, Outhart & Hill Rebecca Curtis [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SPLASH OF GINGE 8 10-03 J D Neild Nigel Twiston-Davies [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FRODON (FR) 4 10-03 P J Vogt & Ian Fogg Paul Nicholls [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ORBASA (FR) 5 10-01 Ditcheat Thoroughbreds Orbasa Paul Nicholls [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]KILLER CROW (IRE) 7 10-00 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]MYSTIFIABLE 8 10-00 Graham and Alison Jelley Fergal O'Brien [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]THOMAS CRAPPER 9 10-00 Apisukcom Robin Dickin [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FULL SHIFT (FR) 7 9-13 J P McManus Nicky Henderson [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]POTTERS CROSS 9 9-07 Conyers, O'Reilly, Roddis, Zeffman Rebecca Curtis [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

press release - http://cheltenham.thejockeyclub.co....at-as-weights-for-two-feature-contests-at-the[/FONT]

What's the latest with Caid Du Berlais? I know he had some problems but still only 7. 25-1 with Skybet, as low as 14s elsewhere?

Sorry, missed that he had a prep @ Chepstow behind Ballyoptic.

Last edited:
Jonjo's form is questioned elsewhere on the forum, but Taquin Du Seuil is a cliff horse & can’t let More of That go unbacked, so I’m hoping for a local winner

More Of That (if he turns up), looks incredibly well treated in the context of the race. If I were convinced he'll line up I'd be steaming in.

Agree with More Of That sentiments - class horse in the race.

Enthusiasm is slightly tempered by the fact that he bled after the RSA, but otherwise, he looks the stand-out candidate. I've had a dash at 11.5.

Last edited:
Agreed MoT looks thrown in but would have liked to see him run at the weekend. Can't let him go unbacked at 10/1 though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art Mauresque, While not exactly attractively weighted (which could be possibly offset by Harry Cobdens claim) is in the form of his life and is a year stronger than when making the pace and fading into 6th last year.

You'd be all over More of That if the trainers horses weren't running like Sellers at the moment.

True....but a few years back, that logic would have made you put a line through Exotic Dancer.

I'm sort of inclined to ignore Jonjo's form whatever the time of year, to be honest - history suggests he can get them ready when he needs to.

The Bet Victor conundrum hmmm.
I have backed GARDE LA VICTOIRE and was quite happy to see him chinned in the Haldon (inadequate trip and the wrong way round) and the handicapper only gave him a 3Lb hike.
I think this is the main target having picked up a nice hurdle prize whilst improving fitness to boot. They learned a few things in the Haldon; namely, they can front run, which gives him a better view of his fences, to which I might add; apart from the first, which he dived at, he was slick low and fast and seemed to warm to the task as the race progressed. He's tough, likes Cheltenham, is versatile ground wise and he'll bridle a lot longer over the distance.

The other one I like is STILETTO.
Definitely unexposed, though I have an inkling that he wouldn't be had he not fallen in the Plate at the festival.
A Paul Nicholls gamble; backed from 9/1 into 6/1 fav on the off, only to fall at the 3rd.
In his race prior to Cheltenham, he was pushed right out to win even though he was winning cosily. This gave rise to a 10Lb penalty and ensured his Plate participation.
Roger Brookhouse has since taken the horse away from Nicholls after just one season, a trait not to dissimilarly displayed to the Pipe's over the years. I suspect or hope that this keeps his profile low.
Needs another 6 to drop out to get in, but with ground conditions as they are I'm hopeful that he does; a small e/w at a decent price that should see any stake returned if he gets balloted out.

Regards Max

Last edited:
I posted last night after being on the sauce and don't remember doing so. I haven't looked at the race and have no idea who trains or rides Double Shuffle......So good Idea I back it if it runs.:lol:

it will be a veterans race on Friday if the x-country is called off...

[h=2]CHELTENHAM, FRIDAY 11 NOVEMBER – PROVISIONAL RACE PROGRAMMED / 04 NOV 16[/h]
  • Cross Country Course currently Hard, Firm in places
  • Provisional Veterans’ Handicap Steeple Chase added
  • Entries to close at noon tomorrow, Saturday 5 November
[FONT=&quot]Following the continued spell of dry weather, the going on the Cross Country Course at Cheltenham is currently described as Hard; Firm in places. The Cheltenham Executive in conjunction with the British Horseracing Authority’s Inspectorate will continue to monitor the situation and a decision on whether to proceed with the Glenfarclas Cross Country Handicap Steeple Chase will be taken next week.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the meantime, the BHA Racing Department has programmed a provisional Veterans’ Handicap Steeple Chase which will be activated in the event of the abandonment of the Cross Country race.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The provisional race will be a Class 2 Veterans’ Handicap Steeple Chase, for ten years old and upwards rated 0-150 to be over a distance of 2m 4 1/2f. The race will also be made a qualifier for the Veterans’ Handicap Steeple Chase Final at Sandown Park on Saturday, 7 January.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The new, provisional race will close at noon on Saturday, 5 November. In the event that the provisional race is activated in due course, declarations to run must be made by 10am on Thursday, 10 November. The Clerk Of The Course at Cheltenham will make a decision on whether to activate the provisional race no later than 1pm on 9 November.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cheltenham Clerk Of The Course Simon Claisse reported: “We have experienced the driest three month build up to The Open since 2003 and have applied up to 350mm of irrigation on the chase and hurdle courses to maintain good ground. Although we have watered the cross country course we are not in a position to significantly improve the current conditions without substantial rainfall, which is not currently forecast.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Should we be unable to run the cross country race next week we will work with the BHA on the options for rescheduling the November event later in the season.”[/FONT]

I posted last night after being on the sauce and don't remember doing so. I haven't looked at the race and have no idea who trains or rides Double Shuffle......So good Idea I back it if it runs.:lol:

I think Double Shuffle is the selection too mate. He's only had half a dozen chase starts, underperforming once or twice, but the overall curve of his form suggests he is on the up-grade. It's more likely than not that he's ahead of a mark of 145.

Last edited:
Looked at The Greatwood, couldn't see much of an angle, certainly not one that wasn't already factored into the betting. The one thing I did think, was that Isabe was an interesting entry from France. She's been a good money spinner over there and won over 90K in four hurdle wins from six runs, is entered with a British mark of 143, and if it came up a bog you'd think would have a decent each way chance.

Edit - 5 day forecast doesn't indicate a 'bog' is on the way, soft ground looks like the best to hope for, will see how things go.

Last edited:
Back