Cheltenham 2016/2017

Barters Hill - tendon slipped off hock is nasty. Not sure how well they repair them nowadays. It's something Teeton Mill did. We had someone out hunting last season have their horse injured like this. Despite a very good equine vet being out that day, horse will never be sound enough to do much.
Trudi can possibly add more expertise! 😁

at least horse will be ok though..he has won enough for owners by now..its a shame re future £..but the guy will be ok

did Teeton Mill ever run after that Jinny?.what a great horse he was,,i know he had an injury etc..can't remember now if he tried again without using RP website..one of my fav NH horses was he

Last edited:
Barters Hill home safely

Barters%20Hill_zpshcppqtzn.jpg

Given More Of That bled in the RSA, it's unlikely Jonjo would risk him anything less than 100% today. With the rain arriving to slow the others down, the early 11-2 looks inviting.

Continued plunge on As De Mee and looking possible he'll go off fav so I'm extremely happy with my 14/1 but just the small matter of him needing to win now...

I could have this topsy turvy but between More of That and Minella Rocco the latter is the one I expect to do best.

Minella has a kid glove rase 1st time up over fences and all went to pot with some real novice errors.

No doubt they would loved for him to win those two races but at the end of the day it came good at Cheltenham.

As we know Jonjo/JP can be creatures of habit but I doubt if they wont have MR ready for today.

I just don't think he's a GMOOH type and the gamble on him last season wasn't planned it just happened that way.

In short I think he's be off for his life today.

As for MOT I can't see him being fully wind up if Jonjo has the Gold Cup in mind and I reckon he'll need this.

I'm sticking with Double Shuffle.

Continued plunge on As De Mee and looking possible he'll go off fav so I'm extremely happy with my 14/1 but just the small matter of him needing to win now...

I wish you well with the bet Wilson but I just can't for the life of me see where this gamble is coming from, that was a dire race that he won at Fontwell
Anyone backing him at 6/1 Needs to give themselves a shake.

Looking forward to seeing Thistlecrack again today. Not sure what it will mean but another jumping display like last time will surely frank that frightening potential.

I was in the Double Shuffle camp, I still think he'll be in the places but the drift to 11/1 concerns me, so you'll be pleased to know I am officially abandoning ship and going with As De Mee!

Warrantor (1:50) is a interesting outsider, off the bottom weight, and might just have been 'layed out' for this.

Must admit Thistlecrack looks the part and better than I would expect from a novice.

Haven't been paying too much attention lately so scratching my head wondering what is likely to take him on in the Feltham if that is where he goes.........is there any novice good enough to give him a race at the trip?

There will always be times when AP will be missed and that was one of them. Not knocking Barry but Minella Rocco was a very much in need of the McCoy animalistic drive today after some real sloppy jumping.

Mistakes very similar to those he was making early doors last year but he looks a much tougher horse this year.....he must be one helluva national prospect.

Thistlecrack is magnificent animal but still has a bit to learn to win GC. Hope he does as I love his exuberance.

Seriously enjoyed watching that. Superb jumping from Village Vic but very happy to see Taquin back at the top.

More of That very disappointing though.

Thistlecrack is magnificent animal but still has a bit to learn to win GC. Hope he does as I love his exuberance.

I'd fear for him in a truly run chase against decent horses.
Despite ground, trip and course being in his favour today, he made serious errors without being tested, and he'd get eaten alive in any truly run chase outside novice company. Talk of KG's and GC's is well wide of his mark - for this season, certainly.

its an easy call to crab Thistlecrack..our cat has done it Reet Hard..easy to do..much harder to make a brave call..than go for the obvious easy one..i seem to remember you wanted Frankel beat every race.,,never one good word for him..tells me a lot that alone...got something against top horses maybe?

just bear in mind..Dawn Run couldn't jump for toffee..and on top of that didn't have proven stamina that T has...and neither could Bregawn..at same stage as Thistlecrack...no certs in this game..but never underestimate horses with an engine..and he is one of them

very easy to diss it at this stage..ffs he only jumped fences twice

Last edited:
I think its very hard for people to understand that the chasing and hurdling are two different sports, yes he has class but over a different sport altogether. If his connections make the mistake of sending him KG then he's a goner for the GC, he needs at least 2 more races in novice company before going against the experienced chasers. He didn't jumped terribly today but if you want comparisons, look what Coneygree was doing to much better animals before going GC. If Coneygree shows the right signs on his reappearance, I won't see how he won't become favourite over Thistlecrack.

Back