Cheltenham Ante Post Competition 2012-13

That's very honest of you DOM I hope it doesn';t cost you the win. I'm actually finding hard to understand this notional value and hope i'm not the only one. Can someone please explain the formula? For instance if you take an original price and it remains the same how can there be a positive notional value?

It's not a positive amount, it's the current notional value. So if the odds haven't changed then the notional value is still the same as the original stake. To work out the notional value, divide the original odds by the current odds and multiply by the stake. So if say you had £1000 on a horse at 10 and it's now 5 then 10/5 = 2 x 1000 = £2000.

I think that's right anyway lol

Last edited:
It is indeed very good of you, DOM. NA and I will check it out.

Chef, the idea is as follows. Say you had a win bet of £1k on a 10/1 shot. If successful, the bet will win you £10k. If the price has comes in to 5/1 you would then need to bet £2k on the same horse in order to win the same amount. In that sense the value of your original £1k bet would have doubled because twice the original stake is now required to win the same amount.

If on the other hand the price has drifted out to 20/1 you would only need to place £500 to win £10k, so the value of the original bet would have halved.

And if the odds remain the same then you would still need to bet the same amount on the horse to win, so the original bet of £1k would still be worth the same.

It is indeed very good of you, DOM. NA and I will check it out.

Chef, the idea is as follows. Say you had a win bet of £1k on a 10/1 shot. If successful, the bet will win you £10k. If the price has comes in to 5/1 you would then need to bet £2k on the same horse in order to win the same amount. In that sense the value of your original £1k bet would have doubled because twice the original stake is now required to win the same amount.

If on the other hand the price has drifted out to 20/1 you would only need to place £500 to win £10k, so the value of the original bet would have halved.

And if the odds remain the same then you would still need to bet the same amount on the horse to win, so the original bet of £1k would still be worth the same.

Gotcha - Thank you :)

NA- Having reviewed the table I think there may be a mistake on your calculation for mine, I think Son of Flicka should have be calclulated at 16 not 6. Could you please check but by my reckonings I've been given false credit lol

Really sorry but you are right Duke, I obviously misread my 16/1 for 6/1 when entering it on the spreadsheet - unfortunately this means that you lose out at the top of the table :(.

This means that Perpetual moves to the top (after a slight adjustment to the notional total due to the fact that he has 2 horses in the same race). I've attached an image of his portfolio and one of the top of the revised table.

Apologies again DukeOfMarmalade and thanks for being so honest.

Well done Perpetual (and just hope I won't be saying this to someone else in another 2 days!)

Attachments

• Perpetual.JPG
    Perpetual.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 13
  • newMembers.JPG
    newMembers.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 12
Unlucky DoM, but you get a bonus for honesty.

I will throw an ante-post tenner at something on your behalf as compensation. Two rules: you need to post your selection on this thread today, and you need to pick something at a double-figure-price. :cool:

Well done, Perpetual.

Last edited:
Unlucky DoM, but you get a bonus for honesty.

I will throw an ante-post tenner at something on your behalf as compensation. Two rules: you need to post your selection on this thread today, and you need to pick something at a double-figure-price. :cool:

Thanks Grassy I appreciate it but that's not necessary, I'm just enjoying the competition and like I said before, the big one's still to play for:D Just need this rain to stay away now:rolleyes:

As you wish, DoM - very noble.

I'll leave the offer open until 13:00 in case you change your mind. :)

Congratulations Perpetual, and apologies that your moment of glory has been mucked up.

Fair play to you, Duke, you have shown it to others.

I hope both of you have an excellent festival.

Thanks guys, much appreciated and thanks again to NA, Grey and particularly Duke for your honesty. I'm a firm believer in karma, so hopefully you'll get yours next week…

Really sorry but you are right Duke, I obviously misread my 16/1 for 6/1 when entering it on the spreadsheet - unfortunately this means that you lose out at the top of the table :(.

This means that Perpetual moves to the top (after a slight adjustment to the notional total due to the fact that he has 2 horses in the same race). I've attached an image of his portfolio and one of the top of the revised table.

Apologies again DukeOfMarmalade and thanks for being so honest.

Well done Perpetual (and just hope I won't be saying this to someone else in another 2 days!)

Is it possible to stake 5,500? :whistle: :lol:

After the first day it looks like Dave G will be difficult to catch - the table of all those with any returns is below - most of the winnings are courtesy of Champagne Fever :) :)

Attachments

• tuesScore.JPG
    tuesScore.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 35
Having said yesterday that Dave G would be difficult to catch, edgt and granger are making a good job of it today with Lord Windermere :) - table of all those with any returns is below.

Attachments

• wedScore.JPG
    wedScore.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
All change tonight with Grasshopper now out in front thanks to Solwhit :) and frontrunner also moving up courtesy of Benefficient :)

Full table below

Attachments

• thursScore.JPG
    thursScore.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 27
Back