Cheltenham Festival 2012: DAY 4

What did we learn this Cheltenham?

Personally? Absolutely nothing except drinking while suffering with the man flu does not help your mood and a paper never refuses ink...

Roll on the flat. Also there was forynes to be made backing Powers arbs over Cheltenham. €200 @ 5/2 Long Run and lay it back at 3.05. Free robs are the way to build a tank.

Are you going to Mallow on Thursday for the student race day?

Last edited:
Personally? Absolutely nothing except drinking while suffering with the man flu does not help your mood and a paper never refuses ink...

Roll on the flat. Also there was forynes to be made backing Powers arbs over Cheltenham. €200 @ 5/2 Long Run and lay it back at 3.05. Free robs are the way to build a tank.

Are you going to Mallow on Thursday for the student race day?

Good work on the indo by the way. Only noticed it today. Was that your column all week?
Arbing is for pirates.
No to Mallow I'd say - didn't do a stroke of work any afternoon this week - will be up to my stones on it next week.

It was The Examiner. No that was my first go in it. The lad that usually does it was off. The texts I received this morning were hilarious. "How does a **** like you get in the non-court section of the paper?". I just hope Johnny Ward's crew don't get a hold of it. I'm now officially a sell out!

I wouldn't be taking any credit for it Martin if I were you.:D
Shadow Catcher , Moon Dice were the tips... what was the Bismark again??

Martin's input, the "non-stayer" Chapoturgeon...

I've e-mailed on a scan of it to you Martin. Put a D- on it "must do better".

What did we learn this Cheltenham?

I had a great week and turned my season round. I decided before he'd run as a chaser that I was gonna for it with Sprinter Sacre and it paid off. But, I was lucky because I found two at nice prices who happened to be in uncompetitive races for one reason or another. And they're rare at Cheltenham.

I had a few in the 5/1 to 8/1 bracket that ran really well and were placed but they were all in hard races and I think in future a bit each way to cover stakes or putting them in ew doubles may be an answer.

I enjoyed it this year.

First year in a decade I didn't go on the lash on the Tuesday and Friday. Watched the racing on the couch and taped and rewatched the races a few times.

Highlights:
Sprinter Sacre
Brindisi Breeze
Simonsig
Sir des Champs
Big Bucks
Voler lad Vedette
Not losing much money

How do people not see how sh1t SWC is? He seems to make it very difficult for LongRun to jump fences.

I'd give SWC 10/10 for his ride today.

If you are giving SWC a 10/10 what do you give McCoy? If you swapped jocks who would have won. I backed Weird Al by the way. How would Quel Esprit have fared on a direct line of form?
Felt for Bar The Bull when he was withdrawn.

Where's the bad ride? He was 1.52 in running two out. He was in thw box seat position the whole way round. I thought he did nothing wrong.

Last edited:
Geraghty wouldn't have won on LR today

Absolutely right. Just got back and watched it in the flesh then on replay, conclusions - SWC rode a perfectly decent race; McCoy rode like the hounds of hell were on his tail, completely magical ride, horse hit every other fence and gave him almost nothing, except from 2 out. Cannot win a National. And I backed neither.

But I did manage to escape unscathed, thanks to Brindisi Breeze, who will wn the RSA next year.

McCoy was 5th being scrubbed 2 out. If Long Run was good enough he would have won. At the end of the day s proxy handicapper won the Gold Cup. In years to come it will be considered a horrific renewal. I can't think of a race I would fancy Sychronised for going forward. He's a one paced animal, no class.

McCoy was 5th being scrubbed 2 out. If Long Run was good enough he would have won. At the end of the day s proxy handicapper won the Gold Cup. In years to come it will be considered a horrific renewal. I can't think of a race I would fancy Sychronised for going forward. He's a one paced animal, no class.

Bang on, SC

That does not a good ride make.

SWC should have made more use of Long Run.

Hamm, I think different

I was at the centre of the course just after the start and AP was working him to keep up after the first fence...the horse is tiny too!!
He was scrubbing him all around and no human on planet earth could have won that Gold Cup other than AP

Last edited:
Backed Salsify as he's very local and vetted out of the yard where I keep my horses. Sentimental betting at it's best.

He took 4 lengths at every jump past the Best Mate enclosure to the top of the hill then took a pull.....crazy horse and super cool ride.....yes I backed him:adore:

Back