Cheltenham Festival/ Corona Virus?

Mrs DG and I have decided not to go next week, we've stocked up on the shopping and will be staying in all week. I had a near brush with death from pneumonia twenty years ago and have chest infections two or three times a year whilst Mrs DG cannot fight off infections very well and is in hospital six or seven times a year. With thousands coming here from God knows where next week we are more or less locking ourselves away and will see how the land lies next weekend. RacingTV it is.
Hope you enjoy it anyway DG. there will be plenty more years for ye to go in person. Best wishes

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

That's a shame, Roger........though to be fair, the thought of four back-to-back duvet-days during the Festival sounds like a pretty good way to spend the week!

YOU are 100% right not to go, you wcould be in bed in two weeks time very sick saying to yourself "what was i thinking going to Cheltenham"

Stay in, feet up, relax and watch the best racing in the world on TV.

Good luck.

More than sensible decision Roger, hopefully it won't stop your enjoyment of the week too much.
At least you won't have to pay the racecourses rip off prices.

Correct decision to make DG, your health is your wealth and is paramount. No doubt you’ll be back in attendance again next year when all this mess is, hopefully, a distant memory.

Enjoy the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can only echo all the sentiments expressed here - hope you have a great time watching it all on TV Roger and it will be next year before you know it (and hopefully the corona virus scares will be but distant memories)

Hope you enjoy Roger. A tough decision to have to make but the right one for you both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, echo all the comments and am 100% you’ve made the correct decision for yourself and Mrs DG

Have a great week at home Roger and let’s hope all is good in the world and your there for the April fixture

Forty two more people have been diagnosed with the virus in the UK in one of the biggest rises in a 24-hour period, taking the national total to 206.

I knocked this out on facebook an hour ago.

"This week coming is the perfect combination of equine champions and a few lads dreaming of riding a winner.

I have got one friend who actually watches racing and bets on it but is such a weakling that he thinks it should be called off due to corona virus.

I mean... coming from a bloke that's been with enough women in his life to recreate a new virus of its very own...I thought to myself....what a hypocrite. What a weakling. :)

I have invested a relatively small amount of money on four or five horses over the four day festival this week for fun and enjoyment. The best time of the year."

Last edited:
Don't forget the girls, Marb.

Not the done thing at all in these more enlightened times :D

Female jockeys. :)

That's a fair point.

I wonder who will be the first transgender jockey to ride a Group One winner though.

Paddy Power would probably lay a bet on it given half a chance. :)

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me mate; The world has gone mad.

That Sam Smith geezer wants to be classed as being fluid gender or somesuch nonsense.

Go easy on Sam. My mum likes his songs.

I take the view the world has generally always been borderline insane (or mad) to some degree.

Progress, truth and development were generally gained through wisdom, experience and respect though.

In this day and age humans still strive for progress, truth and development but the way we seek to achieve these are not really through the conventional means, (wisdom, experience and respect), but my intelligence is higher than yours, so therefore I am superior, or my schlong is 0.8 centimetres longer so I am greater, or my face gets in the media more than yours so I am A List and you Z list.

The great thing about racehorses is they are made to run.

They don't talk nonsense and take liberties out of each other while they run.

They don't have that choice and thank goodness for that.

Last edited:
No as short as 7/2 again now after number of cases in the UK more than doubled and the third death was confirmed but FFS the man was in his 60s with “significant underlying health issues” and had recently traveled back from Italy. He’d have been 1.01

If the festival wasn’t as close as tomorrow I’d be pretty certain it’d be cancelled or at least run behind closed doors, where all the spectators who have already traveled today could spread it through the many enclosed pubs throughout the town instead of the wide open expanse of a racecourse.

Emergency COBRA meeting today to go with the sports ministers meeting and there has to be some fear the meeting will be affected somehow. Maybe they’ll bring the Gold Cup onto the Old Course and switch slots with the Champion Hurdle so at least if they do cancel later days racing we’d still get to see the main race instead of the woefully sub standard hurdle race.

Last edited:
That’s what we’re clinging to Tiggers. If the racing was next week I think we’d be looking at a very different outcome. Lack of overnight liquidity looks like it was slightly skewing the market. Yes back into 1.16 now

Britain’s Chief Medical Officer – “Advice at this stage is we should clearly not be cancelling events….”

Betfair/Doomsdayers – “5/1 to be off”

Lay, lay, lay

Back