Cheltenham Festival/ Corona Virus?

Four new cases in the UK today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pretty promising. think there's still only 2 they can't trace back to the subject travelling abroad to an area hit by the virus

yes backed into 1.35 accordingly

So to conclude. Wash your ******* hands with soap and hot water and lets wait for those glorious decs for day one...

Last edited:
THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning.

and

5. Finally, if you are feeling really unwell with the above symptoms, bend over, place your head between your thighs and kiss your ass goodbye.

British Airways & Ryanair cancel hundreds of flights between UK & Europe/USA but not Asia!!!

You're more likely to catch the virus at Dublin Airport than the Festival.

It seems pretty clear that this is a commercial decision from lack of demand rather than a health issue.

Latest on the Ryanair website:

There is currently no change to advice for airlines. Our flights are operating as normal and all our terms and conditions apply.
We will continue to monitor the situation and follow all public health instructions that are issued.

Last edited:
Useful to know, just in case

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasise enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning.

It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

Actually this is an excellent post. Especially with so much paranoia circulating. Can you stick it on Facebook so I can share it please!

If the virus is heat resistant how come it's spreading in places like Iran [I assume Iran is hot?]?

British Airways & Ryanair cancel hundreds of flights between UK & Europe/USA but not Asia!!!

that's more to do with demand decreasing dramatically and people cancelling holidays, so they're cancelling/merging flights. nothing to do with being told to stop movement between those countries.

CDNGMP9.png

this series of tweets seems to make it all but certain cheltenham goes ahead, seems government can't shut events down in this country like others have without drafting in new law. could only advise the bha not to stage it.

makes things 'interesting' down the line in terms of the actual virus potentially spreading. might have to get hold of some hand sanitiser before i head down there next week. :blink:

Last edited:
Cancellation out to 7/2 on Betfair (for pennies, admittedly).

Someone actually got laid even-money it will go ahead. I salute him or her.

However, the people most at risk of the virus are those suffering from three of the above conditions. So, for the sake of those people [and other at risk groups] ok we shouldn't panic and over react but must do everything we can in our own small way to try to stop the virus from spreading.

If the virus is heat resistant how come it's spreading in places like Iran [I assume Iran is hot?]?

Not that hot over there at the moment - about 16 degrees whereas Vietnam is about 26-30 degrees and the virus seems to have been contained to just 16 cases. The virus apparently is compromised over 25 degrees.

Not that hot over there at the moment - about 16 degrees whereas Vietnam is about 26-30 degrees and the virus seems to have been contained to just 16 cases. The virus apparently is compromised over 25 degrees.

Jeeus, Ireland going to have it for ever !

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

This is the bit I'm not quite getting.

If it struggles with that kind of temperature, how does it affect humans when our body temperatures are 10+degrees higher than that?

UK Chief Medical Officer just interviewed on BBC news (track it down if you can, as about as sensible view as you can get with no sensationalism) who said restricting events only sensible if there were signals the epidemic was imminent, but shouldn’t be introduced early otherwise you get all the social disruption with none of the benefit

He’s the guy advising the government so say 1.01 to be on, unless the number of cases multiply 100-fold in the next 5 days

UK Chief Medical Officer just interviewed on BBC news (track it down if you can, as about as sensible view as you can get with no sensationalism) who said restricting events only sensible if there were signals the epidemic was imminent, but shouldn’t be introduced early otherwise you get all the social disruption with none of the benefit

He’s the guy advising the government so say 1.01 to be on, unless the number of cases multiply 100-fold in the next 5 days

Which, somehow, prompted the Racing Post to start their article with: "The UK's action plan against the coronavirus outbreak is on the cusp of moving to the 'delay stage', during which restrictions could be imposed on public gatherings, according to the government's chief medical officer Chris Whitty."

Last edited:
34 new cases today. Biggest daily jump. Racing to go ahead now 1.4 on exchanges.

Last edited:
Back