Cheltenham Gold Cup 2015

He was a novice last season and has only raced over a similar trip to the Gold Cup once, on his debut this season. And at 25/1 I have plenty of place insurance.

but who TOLD you?

if i trained those horses..i'd use the same excuse..in fact i'd invent 20 more just to be different

do you believe what trainers say?..i don't

I read on here..trainer says this trainer says that..then many people saying..what trainers say is b0llox most of the time..which is particularly true when beaten in a race

I think they're more likely to tell you the truth after the race, when less is at stake. King, for example, has said more than once now that he wishes he'd got Smad Place fitter ahead of the Hennessy.

after the race,,particularly a big one..is when you need to lie the most..especially if a camera is in front of you

its simple PR really..if it wins..oh yes i laid it out for this..lots of people watching think..oh f00k he's shrewd..i'll have a horse with him

if it loses..oh well i thought it might need it

i mean ..whats the alternative to saying the last bit?..oh well it looks like i'm not very good at training

But the tempo of the Gold Cup will be so much more in Smad's favour than the Argento, where they pretty much crawled round. Unlike Many Clouds he also has Festival form.

It's an interesting angle, Euronymous, but on what evidence is it based?

I'd have thought the slower pace that day would have played more into SP's hands if he's thought to have more class. I'd always fancy the class horse to outspeed a lesser animal.

after the race,,particularly a big one..is when you need to lie the most..especially if a camera is in front of you

its simple PR really..if it wins..oh yes i laid it out for this..lots of people watching think..oh f00k he's shrewd..i'll have a horse with him

if it loses..oh well i thought it might need it

i mean ..whats the alternative to saying the last bit?..oh well it looks like i'm not very good at training

I don't think it's too hard to tell when trainers are telling you the truth and when they're not.

With Jonjo, for example, it's really easy. You know he's not telling the truth if his lips are moving.

King is a lot more honest than most. I read his Weekender column every week and he tells us when they're ready and when they're not.

Nicholls and Henderson...? You have to read between the lines with them a lot of the time. They're not easy to read. Pipe likewise.

Jockeys are the best to catch immediately after the race, especially in the elation after a big win. Give them time to think about it and they're more reticent.

Paul Nichols last year in his ATR Blog said S Conti was in fantastic form........Now he's in better form that last year? Better than Fantastic is what?

I'd have thought the slower pace that day would have played more into SP's hands if he's thought to have more class. I'd always fancy the class horse to outspeed a lesser animal.

He travelled quite free, not nearly as well as he did in the RSA, which was a farely brutal race.

Obviously if someone put a gun to me head and asked me to pick between Many Clouds and Smad Place I'd pick the former, but the price differential between the two is too much.

I think it's more a case of Smad Place and Many Clouds being similar in terms of class, but with one wanting a real stamina test (SP) and the other wanting a mere stamina test (MC), and the one wanting the real stamina test was less suited by the way the Argento was run.

Who rattled your cage?..........can't take a joke then FU

You rattled my cage.

I can take a joke with the best of them but you do this shite all the time.

It's your way or the highway, it seems.

It's moronic snide remarks like yours - hard to believe it was a joke despite the smiley, confirmed by the follow-up initialled remark - that makes people unwilling to share opinions.

Pathetic.

You rattled my cage.

I can take a joke with the best of them but you do this shite all the time.

It's your way or the highway, it seems.

It's moronic snide remarks like yours - hard to believe it was a joke despite the smiley, confirmed by the follow-up initialled remark - that makes people unwilling to share opinions.

Pathetic.
Any need for that? Does anyone who doesn't see things as you see them have to be a pathetic snide moron?

You took the bad side out of a joke and made it into something it was not...have a nice day.

You only need to looks back through the disagreements I've had on this and other threads with many others: Grasshopper, Euronymous, EC1, Reet Hard, etc etc to see that I'm not given to personal insult.

And for the sake of clarity you will see that I did not call you a pathetic snide moron. I try not to insult people when I'm disagreeing with them. I called your remarks snide and moronic - there's a difference - and 'pathetic' referred to the fact that remarks like the ones you made lead to people being unwilling to get involved in threads.

It's possible that I might have taken the remark in jest from different posters. Had any of my family or close friends said it I'd have guffawed and given back as good as I got. I mentioned in a post not long ago that I respected you - something to do with Henderson's horses - so I wouldn't attribute my remarks directly to you.

You seem to think it's OK to post insult upon insult towards people who disagree with you, putting yourself forward as some kind of omniscient being with whom we do not have the right to disagree.

Oh well, if that's the way you are, that's the way you are. I just thought there was more to you than that. Feel free to put me on 'ignore'.

Last edited:
You only need to looks back through the disagreements I've had on this and other threads with many others: Grasshopper, Euronymous, EC1, Reet Hard, etc etc to see that I'm not given to personal insult.

And for the sake of clarity you will see that I did not call you a pathetic snide moron. I try not to insult people when I'm disagreeing with them. I called your remarks snide and moronic - there's a difference - and 'pathetic' referred to the fact that remarks like the ones you made lead to people being unwilling to get involved in threads.

It's possible that I might have taken the remark in jest from different posters. Had any of my family or close friends said it I'd have guffawed and given back as good as I got. I mentioned in a post not long ago that I respected you - something to do with Henderson's horses - so I wouldn't attribute my remarks directly to you.

You seem to think it's OK to post insult upon insult towards people who disagree with you, putting yourself forward as some kind of omniscient being with whom we do not have the right to disagree.

Oh well, if that's the way you are, that's the way you are. I just thought there was more to you than that. Feel free to put me on 'ignore'.

i don't think Tanlic means any wrong tbh..i have taken stuff he said too seriously and been in the same position..sometimes there is a fine line between funny and offensive..it may be the person isn't veering to offensive but sometimes when you read a comment you immediately take offence..once you have done that its hard to change your mind and convince yourself its not a dig.

in this case i did actually take it as a joke towards you DO..but as Dan points out he didn't..so we are on that fine line really aren't we?

I am making a concerted effort myself not to take umbridge..its quite hard sometimes particularly if the same person is giving the joke out out

I sometimes get the feeling that there are two or three people on here who are viewed as easy meat for the pee take..sometimes i think i might be imagining it..it just depends how often it crops up with the same people involved.

At the end of the day..we should all try and get on really..even if we disagree with methods or views we might take ..we should do that without giving offence if possible....something i haven't always done myself so i can't talk about others too much can i?

We could very easily go down the FF road if we don't attract new people..and new people won't post if people are referring to each other as cnuts etc..which has happened a couple of times in the last week...or if you get it wrong about a horse/race and people never stop ramming it down your throat for weeks afterwards. We are coming to that sort of time now..people nailing their colours about Cheltenham for months..could be easy targets afterwards..yes a bit of ribbing might be due..but sometimes we get the situation where it never stops..thats tiresome and again is highly unlikely to attract a new member to post is it?

basically..lets all get on..otherwise one day there might be a page not found image instead of the site

Last edited:
Can we not have another thread going this way again. If you are upset by Tanlic always remember that he is probably hanging oot the back of a Lady boy as he's typing.

As an ex betting shop worker I don't mind the banter, but some of it is really making me bored so lighten up please folks!

As for the gold Cup, other than Many Clouds, I'm struggling to be that excited about it, especially compared to the Queen Mum. As I don't bet until the day I'm hoping that inspiration will strike by then....

Niki xxx

I'm having fantasies about pictures of Many Clouds and his lovely dark head and big floppy ears blazoned across the front page of TRP. I want something different to happen this year; not PN winning it again etc.

I'm having fantasies about pictures of Many Clouds and his lovely dark head and big floppy ears blazoned across the front page of TRP. I want something different to happen this year; not PN winning it again etc.

Moe. I want pn winning it partly because it will give a few the hump on this forum but mainly because always want race to really go to the clear best horse in training rather than a freak result such as last year. Also much prefer it to go to horse properly campaigned too. Just reward

Does it worry you that Nicholls hasn't had a chase festival winner since 2009 Clive?...up until then he had 19 chase winners in 10 years...since then bugger all

Back