Cheltenham Gold Cup 2015

0/72 according to what i read with chasers since then

thats some stat when you consider he is number one

every saturday it seems they call another G1 for PN..whilst other trainers wait for Cheltenham...maybe he is mopping up throughout the year now..and Cheltenham isn't his number one priority

Last edited:
That was something I was going to mention myself. His record this season is phenomenal and he's clearly stated today that he's taking a trimmed down group of horses and will focus more on Aintree with his younger horses to keep them away from Willie's battalion.

I certainly don't see the name Nicholls in the trainer column as a negative for any chase at the Festival. Except maybe the Foxhunters

Yes. That's about it.

I take what your saying ec and maybe the handicappers are more geared towards the Saturdays throughout the season but with championship horses it's just one of those things

23% 25% 19% 29% Nicholls chase win ratio for the last 4 seasons. He knows how to train them and i'm more minded to agree with the notion that its a strategic decision by Nicholls. It could be linked to the slow degradation in talent in his yard post Kauto/Denman era and following the Mullins rise to dominance.

Oh and PS - Why can I only get 4 seasons worth of back data on the RP now?!!!! I'm sure it went back to the start of a career before and hoping its just an anomaly.

I certainly don't see the name Nicholls in the trainer column as a negative for any chase at the Festival. Except maybe the Foxhunters

Arkle as well for me. He's had loads of poorly priced horses in the race and I would add Vibrato Valtat to that list. The Arkle will be his eighth race of the season, too many imo.

Arkle as well for me. He's had loads of poorly priced horses in the race and I would add Vibrato Valtat to that list. The Arkle will be his eighth race of the season, too many imo.
How is he poorly priced?

He's done everything asked of him this season bar one STD hiccup and has improved every time. He's got absolutely nothing to lose in a race with little depth.

Henderson has continually moaned about the lack of options for novice chasers over the last couple of years. Nicholls has shown that to be absolute codswallop whilst picking up shed loads of prize money in the process.

There is no way I would take Nicholls as being a negative in terms of training chasers.

I don't think anyone would. It's just at the festival he doesn't have a great record. More competition is certainly a reason but the argument that he looks at the entire season rather than 4 days is a compelling one.

There is no way I would take Nicholls as being a negative in terms of training chasers.

me either..but he is going for big prizes every week that other trainers who have cheltenhamitis are missing out on..his festival record with big twiggers is 0/72 recently...has he changed his tack i wonder with not having the ammo he used to have..make hay and whatever wins at Festival so be it sort of thinking

Last edited:
I don't think anyone would. It's just at the festival he doesn't have a great record. More competition is certainly a reason but the argument that he looks at the entire season rather than 4 days is a compelling one.

Certainly and in recent years he has tended to avoid the RSA too with his best novices such as Rocky Creek and Silviniaco Conti.

He hasn't got the same ammo, that's the main reason. But he's also been unlucky in that his best two chasers post Kauto either aren't Cheltenham horses (SC) or have been unfortunate with injuries (Al Ferof)

i'm not happy about it mesen..Mr Mole looks like being reassessed by me..another stick for Tanlic to beat me with

This I don't get at all . Just back the horse or not. It's not as if he's had a Noel Meade seasonal bias season after season (I'm not having a dig at Meade btw)

if a stat really has a logic behind it then fair enough but for his championship chasers it simply doesn't.

mullins has had something like 3 chase winners at Cheltenham out of 45 or whatever it is .Are you going to oppose uds on that basis?

on these stats the front two in the arkle market have no chance . So it's josses hill for you mate

Last edited:
UDS looks nailed though Clive..Mr Mole needs to be at his best..not leaving it behind at Newbury or other races he's been in..at least SC goes there fresh for you

Yes fair enough but newbury wouldn't bother me frankly. I think it's become a bit of a mantra that the less the horse races during the season the better the chance. Kept sdg's price sweet last year I reckon.

either way with mr Moles oddball antics and Nichols adeptness and continual improvement you would have to prefer the horse getting more experience rather than less

Last edited:
Back