Eclipse Stakes

Fugue was slow out the gate on a bad draw and was short for room a lot really. even then once Buick finally got her going she didn't really look like getting anywhere near there. she just lacks consistency really.

KH was finishing strongly as I expected. wasn't in a great position the whole way either.

they all sat too far back off a pace that was probably just faster than even pace...those at the front did not retreat..those at the back..were too far back to pull back the deficit

total pace misjudgement on a mass scale

just beating a 100/1 shot...yes i think he would been capable of finishing 2nd

the race was a joke
i agreed it was a bizarre race in my original post but i couldn't give a monkeys about this weird comparison you keep wanting to foist upon me between TL and another horse who wasn't in the race and will probably never race at this distance.

i got 25s e/w. he was much shorter at the off and it's returned a profit. i couldn't care less that a 100s shot came 3rd.

Last edited:
i agreed it was a bizarre race in my original post but i couldn't give a monkeys about this weird comparison you keep wanting to foist upon me between TL and another horse who wasn't in the race and will probably never race at this distance.

i got 25s e/w. he was much shorter at the off and it's returned a profit. i couldn't care less that a 100s shot came 3rd.

well done

You cannot give away a soft lead to a genuine Group 1 horse, especially in an uphill gradient like Sandown.
Maybe that long uphill straight is one of the reasons why fillies have such a bad record in the race; power and strength sustained over a long straight favours the boys.
Top rides by the first three jockeys.
The winner definitely deserved a Group1 after some sterling efforts last year and at Meyden.

What a bollox of a race - Simon Holt is shouting it's very strong pace, and I'm thinking wtf is he watching!
Buick lost whatever chance he had when he (unbelievably) switched to the inside turning in - at least the 3rd time he's screwed up on the mare.
What looked beforehand like one of the races of the season, turned into a complete boil over by rank bad judgement of pace.

Ajdal- First forum post.

took the 16's on Mukhadram as it seems that it's easy to forget he was more fancied than The Fugue at Ascot and is now available at 8x her price. I suspect he will be ridden more aggressively this time. Son of the excellent sire Shamardal out of Magic Tree who only ran once as a 2yo for Mick Channon who is a daughter of Moyesii who ran exclusively in France and was just below Listed Class, herself a daughter of the fantastically fast filly Cherokee Rose (remember her). He does tend to always find one or two too good, but has solid competitive group 1 10f form and the formbook is full of horses like this finally having their day (and also not).

Well Done ,Sir!

yes well done Ajdal...you'll find some people congratulate others on here on successes..whilst others ignore you when you get it right..and only post to rub in when they think they've got one over on you

a cracking first post

Last edited:
Fugue was slow out the gate on a bad draw and was short for room a lot really. even then once Buick finally got her going she didn't really look like getting anywhere near there. she just lacks consistency really.

KH was finishing strongly as I expected. wasn't in a great position the whole way either.

I doubt , barring her run when ill in the Eclipse last year , there is a more consistent horse in training than The Fugue - on twitter they suggest Buick is blaming the shower of rain !

Congrats Ajdal - well done .

I doubt , barring her run when ill in the Eclipse last year , there is a more consistent horse in training than The Fugue - on twitter they suggest Buick is blaming the shower of rain !

Congrats Ajdal - well done .
yeah maybe i was being a bit harsh. just don't think she brought her A game today.

It might be that the Prince of Wales's stakes took more out of her than expected but Mukhadram ran in that and tried his heart out in it .

She was miles too far back today end of story regardless of the shower of rain - as she won the Nassau on good ground with no trace of firm in it and went very close in a Yorkshire Oaks run in a rainstorm ( when given another poor ride ) means Buick's excuse does not stand up .

Give the Lloyd Webbers credit for their loyalty - many owners would have jocked Buick off ages ago.

Last edited:
Give solid horses like Mukhadram and Trading Leather that much rope and that's what happens. Astounded.
Well done e/w backers of Mukhadram and Trading Leather, of which I'm sure there were a few.

Also well done Hanagan.

Top class Ajdal, Your insight will fit right in here

This might count as aftertiming but all week I had readied myself for the biggest bet of the year on The Fugue but thought better of it this morning due to the ground worries and a few of the guys on here negativity to her.

It might be that the Prince of Wales's stakes took more out of her than expected but Mukhadram ran in that and tried his heart out in it .

She was miles too far back today end of story regardless of the shower of rain - as she won the Nassau on good ground with no trace of firm in it and went very close in a Yorkshire Oaks run in a rainstorm ( when given another poor ride ) means Buick's excuse does not stand up .

Give the Lloyd Webbers credit for their loyalty - many owners would have jocked Buick off ages ago.

i doubt very much it was run on good ground today when its the 4th fastest time in 55 years..he rode a shocker

i doubt very much it was run on good ground today when its the 4th fastest time in 55 years..he rode a shocker

Also I am struggling with the wheelspin excuse . She was beaten only a neck in the Yorkshire Oaks when it lashed it down on good to firm ground - there she was in front too soon !

John Reid in his solo ride around track had it spot on re how to ride the track plus the possible pit falls.
Plenty of jockeys , armchair and otherwise , would do well to watch it.
Ajdal to my memory was one of the few Derby contenders to have the speed to win a July Cup; you certainly got off to a flyer here. Very well done.
Plenty of the same will do nicely !

Last edited:
Geoff Lewis never lived down the ride he gave Park Top in 1969 - looks brilliant compared to Buick's ride today .

Dettori had more of an excuse KH could not go the early pace but whether he should have moved him up when Somewhat slowed it down is another matter.

Also I am struggling with the wheelspin excuse . She was beaten only a neck in the Yorkshire Oaks when it lashed it down on good to firm ground - there she was in front too soon !

Ryan Moore gave much the same reason for Verrazano's poor display, and John Gosden described the top of the ground as 'greasy', so the shower before the race might well have been a factor.
A rough hand-timing of the sectionals show that Mukhadram ran the last 3 sections in remarkably similar times to last year (on near-identical ground), and Trading Leather probably ran to his usual 120-ish mark, so it's a fairly safe inference that the winner's position owed more to judicious riding, rather than any marked improvement.
Couldn't have any of the first 3 myself, though congrats to those who did - if only to keep the forum police happy. :)

always the dig eh?....grow up.

the problem with some people on here is they just come on to dig and give a purposely opposite view to names on a screen they want to belittle..you are one of the worst..but you aren't alone

its a sad day when you think you have to be told to congratulate someone for being right..my point wasn't congratulating people..it was if you don't congratulate someone..then don't just wait until that same person gets it wrong and then post ..because that smacks of having it in for someone

i try to help people on here..as on this thread..keeping an update of the going etc..you ignore all that then have to put the snidey little response at the end...why?

..you packed this nonsense in for a bit after Grey told you it was out of order last time when you used to think sectional times were sh*te..just becasue i posted them..now you quote sectionals yourself..proving you were just doing it due to who posted

if you want someone to pick out for treatment..i suggest you find someone else..i'm very tired of reading your shi*e aimed at me.

Last edited:
One little smiley - against paragraph after paragraph of your polemic.
Ffs leave it out, and let's get on with the horseracing.

Back