Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Glad they have called time for Defi before he was hurt. A year off they may let him go to someone to do something else. Two from my mare's family who finished early in their careers for different reasons have gone on to do other things, just not racing.

More importantly Reet Hard PM'd me to say he's had enough of certain poster hogging the forum with shyte day after day and has left.

It would be above me to say who:whistle:

I have posted side by side with the guy who has always been a gentleman and a friend for more than 12 years.

I tried to convince him to stay but so far he has not responded. He has left me his personal details so I ll keep trying

Last edited:
Pleased to hear that. But always find it sad when a horse that had looked a star in the making never manages to achieve it’s full potential. What might have been….

To be fair Moe, I wouldn’t mind owning a horse who’s lack of fulfilment involved a G1, G2 and 2nd in a King George. I understand what you mean but, at the risk of criticising someone who had gone through a horrific experience but still did their best, maybe he was handled too cautiously while the potential was there ?

Just saying and to add to your initial point, yes it’s fantastic that he’s bowed out fit and healthy.

Last edited:
To be fair Moe, I wouldn’t mind owning a horse who’s lack of fulfilment involved a G1, G2 and 2nd in a King George. I understand what you mean but, at the risk of criticising someone who had gone through a horrific experience but still did their best, maybe he was handled too cautiously while the potential was there ?

Just saying and to add to your initial point, yes it’s fantastic that he’s bowed out fit and healthy.
Actually I’ve just looked at his race record which is pretty amazing. And beginning to retrospectively wished he’d beaten Frodon in the KG ( a dead heat would have been good!). I suppose my most recent memories of him are of him not running or pulling up. As someone that sometimes looks at lists of horses that have won GC’s of KG’s I suppose I feel that a horse needs to have it’s name against one of those races to achieve immortality. But it’s only us humans that think that sort of thing: I’m sure the dear boy will just be happy stood in his field munching grass. I hope he has a long and happy retirement.

I'm pretty sure at the time I put up something on here about that Carlisle race when he beat Belami Des Pictons. I remember rating it very high.

Two runs later he beat Cue Card in that unforgettable Ascot Chase in a ridiculously fast time. I'm not convinced he wanted to go through the pain barrier again after that, running well enough a couple of times but not quite to the same level.

As others say, I'm glad he's getting out in out piece and wish him a long and happy retirement. A fine animal.

I’d be fairly confident that his Ascot Chase win would have felt like the winning the Gold Cup at what must have been an incredibly tough time.

Like you Moe - and I’m sure everyone who knew the circumstances, and even those that didn’t - I’m just happy he was retired before any ill fortune for, although she was no longer training him there must be an unbelievable fondness for a wonderful horse that provided a ray of light during the darkest of times.

Last edited:
Back