Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

He was very unlucky in the 2018 King George when brought down by a bad fall by Bristol De Mai.

He was travelling so well that day and I still think he would have gone very close. That could have been his biggest day on a racecourse.

A day that his jockey Brian Hughes won't have forgotten easily I bet!

At least he can enjoy a happy retirement.

Last edited:
I thought something wasn’t right after his last run. He should have beaten Salvatore easily. Good to see there was a reason behind it.

How on earth did this take so long to be confirmed when DG posted it here a week ago ?

WPM in RP today

“ However, despite being reported to be on course for the race over the weekend, she has been ruled out of the festival after subsequent scans revealed she has suffered a hock injury.”

She was still short enough on exchanges as of yesterday.

She was still short enough on exchanges as of yesterday.
Surely that's proof that there's no conspiracy story here.

Horses are slightly lame on a regular basis. Often it's trivial like a stone bruise and the horse is perfectly fine a few days later. If it's not fine, the scanning and x-ray process can be quite complicated if you don't have an identified point of pain.

Willie has over 170 entries for the Festival. I haven't checked but I imagine that covers about 80 horses and he'll have over 50 runners with maybe half of them single figure prices. He cannot be expected to give regular updates on all of them. The owners will always hear first (well, second after the stable staff) and in many cases it will be the owners who decide when to release information. All trainers operate in this way and they wouldn't keep owners onside if said owners were hearing information about their own horses via the media rather than from the trainer.

I wasn’t necessarily suggesting any skullduggery on Mullins behalf because of the exchange price.

But the only place I (and it appears plenty of others) had seen this mentioned was on here by DG. And then a week later the news breaks.

The 2020 Galway Hurdle winner and County Hurdle runner up Aramon collapsed and died on the gallops at Closutton this morning.

He also won the Grade 1 novice hurdle at the 2018 Leopardstown Christmas meeting and was runner up to Klassical Dream at the 2019 Dublin Racing Festival

Broomhill Daisy who came second a couple of days ago was fatally injured crossing the line - how utterly heartbreaking for Rebecca Menzies team but also that’s not how Amy Murphy would want to win either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back