Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

I was told by a vet today that it was four on Friday but I might not have heard him right. I have just double checked results and it looks like four in total

Last edited:
Schiehallion Munro, aka my BBB, aka Rowley, aka Basil: the injury in the race too much and he's been retired. Absolutely gutted he's ended like that, he really didn't deserve it and has paid the price for trying so hard. Going to have the summer at his owners' and then get someone to do some light work with him hopefully.
The last 9 years have been absolutely amazing. Would never have believed anyone if they told me how it would be.
Really upset that this has happened to him but also grateful that it could have been a lot worse and he's still with us.

I’m so sorry to hear this but relieved that the injury isn’t worse than it is. Did he do it at the water jump?

Thanks no, it's the off fore fetlock. He's very pigeon toed - wasn't until he was 3 plus and someone close to him blamed it on a farrier where he was sent in the summer to get away from the wet where he was - and he's had issues with them but they've been managed, and never actually caused him a problem during/after a race. He's always been bouncing and ready to go again the next day. There is osteoathritis in it and the effort in the race pushed beyond it's limit. All the jockeys who rode him always said he gave everything every time, such a brave and honest soul.

Oh G - I’m so sorry, bless his enormous genuine heart - what a shame. He’s been a real dream hasnt he, I’m so glad you got him :)

RIP to Holywell, passed away at home in Ireland.

Oh G - I’m so sorry, bless his enormous genuine heart - what a shame. He’s been a real dream hasnt he, I’m so glad you got him :)

RIP to Holywell, passed away at home in Ireland.

Thanks Trudi.. I am absolutely gutted as he really didn't deserve that. Never gave less than 150% a lot of the time on ground he hated and with top weight. Two years ago I mentioned running him in the Novice Chase there ( I think ) and someone close to him said Cheltenham can be a killer. At the time I tended to think anywhere can be a killer and thought they were ducking the challenge more than anything. I seriously think he could have finished better than rated as some of the choices of races were, imho, pointless and made no sense. Aside from losing Joe as jockey, last season I thought was total waste. That's what is annoying me ( again ) now that I feel so sorry for him. I know he knows no different but.... first grandchild of Hannigan's Lodger to run in the top flight, hopefully not the last.

Thanks.

I'd love to know exactly what it is as mine has a bone problem and the chances are he won't be able to race. Currently on 'out in a field getting fat' until later on this year until we start again, but he's been twice within a week of running, and then gone wrong. First time needed op on knee for excessive bone ( common apparently in young TB horses but didn't show any signs until he had a couple of easy days as trainer thought a bit light, first day back lame ) , second time MRI shows 'poor bone' . Nothing surgically can be done, vet told me to chuck him out in a field and leave him for the winter. Speaking to someone at the weekend who backed him/pre training etc so knows him well agreed with me that can't see that's going to sort him out that he can withstand the rigours of the training regime of a racehorse.

Lake view lad and Vintage Clouds both retired at the weekend - VC going to the stud and LVL has been given to his lass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lake view lad and Vintage Clouds both retired at the weekend - VC going to the stud and LVL has been given to his lass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, two of my favourites, hope they both have long and happy retirements

Sounds like Elle est Belle gone there and I didn’t like the look of that faller either...Captain Combi?

Last edited:
Really sad. Was so hoping we would have zero this year. Typically the BBC mentioned this in their report. No word on Eclair Surf who I think was the one behind the screens? I presume they got him to the vets hospital for assessment.

Back