Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Well, I know this doesn't really probably apply to this thread, but pictures showing BBB back on the gallops and all okay so far, so maybe , maybe , a comeback is possible. Still keeping everything crossed. Would bet on comeback being at Wetherby with some rain knowing the stable. I'll be camping outside the night before if he gets there.
View attachment 2800

Wetherby 28th October. I have a bad leg at the moment ( not looking for pity at all in the scheme of things but not supposed to sit on it for more than 30 mins a day ) so a 7 hour round trip not ideal, but I'll be there. Anyway going to be there hysterical blonde woman screaming go on Baby Boy if in hearing distance of owners, if not will be go on Rowley, please feel free to say hello if not too embarassed to do so :)

We used to start the season at Charlie Hall Day. Love the little cafe in the middle of the track and have great memories of watching Many Clouds on the screen by the paddock with Trevor Hemings.Alas, won’t be going this year as we only go to places where we can take the dog with us but, on the Friday I’ll be cheering him on via W Hill racing radio!

Thank you. They think his joint is holding up so he's ready to go by then so have to give him a go. Not a lot around for him really without starting in something silly. A friend and I today discussing this and wonder maybe why not have a go back over hurdles as mark of 117 very favourable and may be slightly worried about his leg, so an easier first option ( won over hurdles at Wetherby famously beating Coolanly and you can actually hear me screaming at the post on the replay ) but what do we know? :) When I win the lottery....

I didn’t realise he was trained by Mickey Hammond. When we used to stay at Middleham ( pre pandemic) we used to watch the Hammond horses go through the village up to the gallops. Would wake up to the sound of the horses hooves on the cobbles. Love it there. I’ve been following Emma Smith Chaston for a while now. If he stays in training and we go back there we’ll look out for him.

I didn’t realise he was trained by Mickey Hammond. When we used to stay at Middleham ( pre pandemic) we used to watch the Hammond horses go through the village up to the gallops. Would wake up to the sound of the horses hooves on the cobbles. Love it there. I’ve been following Emma Smith Chaston for a while now. If he stays in training and we go back there we’ll look out for him.

He'll be at Kate Walton's 'yard' but they'd be happy for you to go and say hello. They're lovely people, Kate been so kind since they bought him, Richie loved him from day one, kept asking me if I had another one. I love it there too, seriously thinking of relocating in that area. They call him Basil for obvious reasons, but I just can't bring himself to call him that as that was the last name he was ever going to be called. ( Don't tell them that though :) )

Santini has been retired to start a new life eventing with William Fox-Pitt (husband of Alice Plunkett). Although a surprise that he’s been retired at only 10, the owners felt he has a chance at a second career while relatively young as they didn’t want him running in the GN again despite his brilliant fourth this year. I can see their point and it’s probably a wise move.

Believed to be the most expensive Gold cup winner ever with all the money Ml O'Leary has spent on bloodstock since !
Bred locally by Brid Murphy near Nadd, Co Cork he was a hell of a horse in his day , his class always apparent through out his long career.

Rock Of Gibraltar died. One of the most, imho, luckiest horses ever. Should never have won the Guineas and was definitely right time /right place to win as many GP1 as he did. Also absolutely horrible to look at when racing.
Provided one of the laughs of a year though indirectly when a certain ex jockey, turned breeder, tried to negoitate a reduction in nomination fee for a real non descript mare of his to a certain Maktoum stallion who's fee was then £20k non negoitable for mere mortals by saying he could get the then nomination fee of 100,000 Euros for ROG at a 50% discount. Became unbelievablely irate when told there were no discounts on the Maktoum stallion for ANYBODY and continued to shout his dissatification down the phone for some minutes. So loud I could hear him shouting down the phone in my boss' office which was round a corner and about 20 feet away. Last boss' comment was 'well you go ahead ****** and if you get it, you're a better man than me'.

If The Cap Fits on Sunday at Aintree :(

Oh R.I.P fella. I hate this sport sometimes.

A veteran like him should have made it to retirement.

I didn't see the race as was out all Sunday.

Gutted for him.

Last edited:
Rock Of Gibraltar will be remembered as much by his Alex Ferguson connection as anything else.
Bred by Anne Marie O'Brien and Joe Crowley. John Magnier gave Alex the share just to have Alex deliver the Gimcrack speech as he was not allowed nominate Alex to make the speech the previous year .
Horse kept confounding them by winning ; his limitations seemed transparent in Coventry and Champagne Stakes defeats but he kept coming up trumps after; unlucky in BC mile.
He was a hell of a tough racehorse that kept getting better with racing, something very few horses do.

Wetherby 28th October. I have a bad leg at the moment ( not looking for pity at all in the scheme of things but not supposed to sit on it for more than 30 mins a day ) so a 7 hour round trip not ideal, but I'll be there. Anyway going to be there hysterical blonde woman screaming go on Baby Boy if in hearing distance of owners, if not will be go on Rowley, please feel free to say hello if not too embarassed to do so :)
I see he’s still down to run!

Thank you, ground wasn't as soft as hoped and he wasn't keen to let himself down on it, and giving weight away bar the top one, but he's walked away sound and enjoyed himself so that's the main thing. Conor an allround good egg.
I'm pretty sure I saw Nut's Well walk in, he looked okay.

Last edited:
All the years that I dreamed of owning a racehorse and I realise now that I would have been a nervous wreck. Which I am if I’m watching any horse that I have even he remotest link to! I’m pleased to hear he’s come back sound.

In my heart he's mine as literally there from second he was born, and only had to sell him as couldn't afford to keep him and the mare. Broke my heart. Had to hand feed him from 3 weeks old as very sick and the vets had said they couldn't do any more for him and told me to take him home ( he'd had a procedure on hind joint and was very poorly). I am a complete wreck watching him, as was with his dam who I loved so much, and spend the whole of his races saying 'steady, steady ( as comes to a fence ) , good boy ( when he gets over ) , no stay there , steady steady..etc etc...nightmare for anyone standing near me! Must admit I am usually shaking for a long time after and crying after he's crossed the line. It's quite funny 'cos although I've seen him quite a bit over the years as always been to see him, he doesn't seem to visually remember me but as soon as I speak to him, he definitely remembers my voice, especially when no one's listening and I call him Rowley which is the name I gave him. He really does remember that. Mollster and Rowley 25.5.13.jpg

Back