Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

John Dunlop had a massive following and was a legend in his time having trained the winner of just about everything going
He had some cracking horses like Posse, Habibti, Shirley Heights, Runnett, Erhaab etc. and won 74 Group 1 races

Sadly his son never quite cracked it as a top trainer and has decided enough is enough.

John Dunlop fitted in well the the gentry of the time and was mega popular with owners and jockeys

Jockeys like Ron Hutchison, Greville Starkey, Willie Carson, Pat Eddery would que up to ride for him

It's a sad day for racing that a one time fantastic training establishent has gone.

Poor Grand Sancy has dropped dead at Worcester yesterday evening - I am afraid he was never the same again after the horrible ride Skelton gave him to win the Kingwell Hurdle - a sad day.

Adam Nicol has found a great retirement home for Spiders Bite who’d obviously fallen out of love with the game. He will, I assume, be able to continue to be exercised on Bamburgh beach and in the sea.

His last five runs yielded wins in the Saratoga Derby, Cox Plate, Prix Ganay and Prince of Wales Stakes. An achievement that deserved to be trumpeted more loudly.

His last five runs yielded wins in the Saratoga Derby, Cox Plate, Prix Ganay and Prince of Wales Stakes. An achievement that deserved to be trumpeted more loudly.

An incredible achievement -Great to see a horse campaigned like that.

It was the scan for going to Australia that showed up an issue - I’m not sure if I can share pictures at the moment ( I couldn’t the other day when I tried) but if i can the official statement was this…

e3288da664eaebef65a8c84718009ca7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schiehallion Munro, aka my BBB, aka Rowley, aka Basil: the injury in the race too much and he's been retired. Absolutely gutted he's ended like that, he really didn't deserve it and has paid the price for trying so hard. Going to have the summer at his owners' and then get someone to do some light work with him hopefully.
The last 9 years have been absolutely amazing. Would never have believed anyone if they told me how it would be.
Really upset that this has happened to him but also grateful that it could have been a lot worse and he's still with us.

Well, I know this doesn't really probably apply to this thread, but pictures showing BBB back on the gallops and all okay so far, so maybe , maybe , a comeback is possible. Still keeping everything crossed. Would bet on comeback being at Wetherby with some rain knowing the stable. I'll be camping outside the night before if he gets there.
Gallops.jpg

That’s sad to read losing another Classic winner so young (Snowfall being the other one)

Lady Stanwix in the mares novice hurdle at Sedgefield today. Looked awful at the time and sad she never had a chance to grow. You kind of knew straight away, although there was some hope for a bit. RIP.

They’ve eventually called it time and retired Topofthegame

ah that's a shame. No end of talent.

When he was running in those hurdles in the winter of 2018, looked like a giant gangly baby giraffe. And pulled out some great runs. (And, of course, subsequently over fences)

Back