Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Only seems like yesterday that I was stood at Cheltenham and heard on the tannoy that he'd pulled up in the Gold Cup. Pleased to hear that he'd had a good retirement.

Hearing that Teeton Mill passed away last week after a happy retirement

One of the most impressive Hennessy winners you'll ever see. IIRC, he got into that off something ridiculous like 139. I remember him jinking round an opponent on the approach to the home turn, wondering how much he had in reserve to be able to do that so easily.

Only seems like yesterday that I was stood at Cheltenham and heard on the tannoy that he'd pulled up in the Gold Cup. Pleased to hear that he'd had a good retirement.

He must have had a good old retirement. Was only talking about him a few weeks ago out hunting when a horse suffered the same injury (tendon slipped off his hock) and we all said "Oh just like Teeton Mill"

A lovely horse, who somehow caught my imagination and one of very few racehorses I adored (his being grey and so handsome was my downfall) . . . . . . .indeed the racing world's too, in those early days of Venetia Williams training success.

Whatever happened to the Winnng Line, do they still exist ?

A few to add:

Lady Herries (Celtic Swing trainer) passed away early this week
Ryan Mania (2013 National winner) retiring aged 25 because of weight problems
Anthony Knott (Hunt Balls mad ex-owner) guilty of passing on inside information & won't be involved in racing for some time

Last edited:
What a shame, didn't look all that bad when pulled up though his tail had flagged. Poor chap. :(

Stocktons Wing had a fatal fall yesterday.

Back