Films

I sometimes think that films about relationships are better watched on dvd so you can refer back to certain scenes to understand them more. Saw a trailer for the new Far From the Madding Crowd, and felt that the actors were all lacking in charisma [even Carey Mulligan just seemed like 'Carey Mulligan'; methinks they should have snapped up Aidan Turner for Captain Troy [sigh]!] but I liked the look of the Kate Winslett/Alan Rickman film about [I think] gardening!Annoyed that I've missed the dog horror film; think they cancelled a few screenings cause nobody except me wanted to see it. And then I couldn't get to see it when it was on.

Went to see The Water Diviner this week - really enjoyed it. OK so perhaps its not historically accurate but it was a good story, made me cry a bit and the cinematography was fantastic.

Just saw a trailer and read a review for Dark Horse, and it's had rave reviews at the Sundance Festival. Whether people will turn up to watch a film about the evil sport of horseracing is another matter. At least it sounds like the sort of film/documentary that will stand the test of time. I cried watching the trailer so dread to think what I'll be like at the cinema.

Really impressed witn force majure. Riveting scenes with often some surprising humour. Type of film I love.

Some good films in the pipeline at the moment; hope to get back into more of a routine of cinema going soon. Not sure where the last few months have gone. Mixed feelings about seeing The Falling; was going to give it a miss until I saw that Maisie Williams was in it. And there's the Moomins film to look forward to!

I saw the new Avengers film last night, was a bit meh, nothing you haven't seen before and all a bit Michael Bay for me, effects and fight scenes with little plot or substance. In comparison I saw Child 44 the week before and thought it was really good, Tom Hardy again proving why he's one of the most sought after actors out there at the moment. I have bought the book Child 44 too so will see how it compares. I've still got a load of DVD's to watch, including Boyhood, Blue Is The Warmest Colour and The Lives Of Others.
I'm sure most will be aware but if you use compare the market for insurance you can now opt for Meerkat Movies instead of a soft toy. It's 2 for 1 on movies on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and effectively replaces Orange Wednesdays. Cineworld are a participating cinema, not sure about Vue or Odeon.

Saw ah wilderness at the young vic yesterday. Eugene o Neil play which is not bad but boosted by cracking performances

strangely this was my first ever visit to this theatre, which has a huge reputation. And no wonder. It's a fabulous place. Real buzz and about as perfect an auditorium as I have experienced

I saw the new Avengers film last night, was a bit meh, nothing you haven't seen before and all a bit Michael Bay for me, effects and fight scenes with little plot or substance. In comparison I saw Child 44 the week before and thought it was really good, Tom Hardy again proving why he's one of the most sought after actors out there at the moment. I have bought the book Child 44 too so will see how it compares. I've still got a load of DVD's to watch, including Boyhood, Blue Is The Warmest Colour and The Lives Of Others.
I'm sure most will be aware but if you use compare the market for insurance you can now opt for Meerkat Movies instead of a soft toy. It's 2 for 1 on movies on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and effectively replaces Orange Wednesdays. Cineworld are a participating cinema, not sure about Vue or Odeon.

I read Child 44 when I first came out. Not overly impressed to be honest, Will be interested to hear if you think the film was better.

Saw Far From The Madding Crowd : disappointing that they cut so much of the story, and the film would not have suffered from being a bit longer. If you don't know the ending, you can see it coming with 5 minutes of the start, overall though not great.

Last edited:
I've also just seen Far from the Madding Crowd and absolutely loved it. I thought I knew most Hardy stories but couldn't quite remember what happened in this one, so I didn't find the ending obvious [had it NOT being a Hardy story is would have been obvious of course, if that makes sense]. Could happily go and see it again tomorrow. Thought the music was reat, too [wondered if the Mumfords were involved in that].

I have been umming and ahhing about seeing this. I did it for O level and it wasn't my favourite book. I also thought Carey Mulligan looked wrong at Bathsheba - face is a bit too modern.

Captain Troy was totally miss cast imo but I thought everyone else was perfect. From the trailers Gabriel looked totally wrong but I found the actor who played him totally convincing [I'm quite in love with him]. And Michael Sheen didn't make me think of Tony Blair or Brian Clough [well, not much]. I loved Carey Mulligan in An Education and also Never Let me Go [the latter being a film that, even though I thought it was incredibly well done I could never bear to watch again]. Being incredibly melancholic my favourite Hardy has always been Tess of the d'Urbevilles [along with Jude the Obscure]. At one time I lived in Boscastle and used to walk along the Valency River where Hardy walked with his first wife when they were 'courting'; he was working at a local church at the time and I often used to imagine them being there in the very spot that I was. Blimey; all this misery..need to watch Sean the Sheep to cheer myself up![assuming Sean doesn't fall off any cliffs, that is...]

I'll be going to see 'Madding' and if it's half as good as the memorable 1967 John Schlesinger production with Julie Christie, Alan Bates, Terence Stamp and Peter Finch I'll be satisfied

I've been re-reading Hardy's novels this year on my newish Kindle: a compendium of his complete works cost approximately a sov to download!

The Mayor of Casterbridge, The Return of the Native and A Pair of Blue Eyes so far...all so good, so very very good

I never liked A Pair of Blue Eyes, even though it was set in Boscastle where I used to live. He writes so beautifully; no wonder he turned more to poetry eventually.

I never liked A Pair of Blue Eyes, even though it was set in Boscastle where I used to live. He writes so beautifully; no wonder he turned more to poetry eventually.
Ceased writing books, I think, after the harsh reception of his Jude The Obscure -- labelled as scandalous and "dirty" by Victorian society. Jude The Obscene as some bishop termed it.
I like all his fictional works, but perhaps Jude would be my favourite. Bleak and cold, but tremendously character-driven. It cruelly dissects the class system of the time.
Probably no-one on here old enough as I to remember the BBC dramatisation of the novel in the early 70's. :)

Last edited:
Not sure if I saw the tv series, although I did like the film with Kate Winslett. The book strikes a chord with me in that, at one time in my life I met up with a distant relative who [I must stress] I had never known during my childhood and did fall head over heels in love with them; I have read about such things happening and have seen tv programmes about it also but, until it actually happens to you it's hard to believe possible. The tv series that always sticks in my mind, and led me to read most of his books was Zola's 'Nana'.

Clouds of sil Marie today. Needless to say, binnoche is quite superb and the film was engrossing aside from sagging just slightly in the middle. Good theme too. Worth seeing if you like intelligent drama.

As an aside I saw it at e curzon Chelsea which is a famed cinema recently saved from redevelopment. Thank god for that.

Spooks: if you liked the television series, don't bother. If you never watched the TV series, don't bother either.
A total waste of time. No idea what Jennifer Ehle thinks she is doing, Tim McInnery is Sir Percy, again, and why anyone thinks Kit Harington is a leading man, I am lost. I know I am old, but he's not even attractive to compensate for the lack of acting ability.

Back