Films

Exodus: Gods And Kings

I postponed watching this on it's release .............. until last night.

An A-List cast of Christian Bale, Sigourney Weaver, John Turturro. Directed by Ridley Scott.

But another Scott masterpiece like Gladiator, aliens, or Blade Runner it most certainly isn't. In fact, it's a mess, imho.
The film is an "epic" without any emotion or soul. The script is dire, the acting is non-committal, and the overall feel is bland. It's a very mediocre melodrama.
The CGI is great but CGI alone doesn't make for great cinema. There are a couple of stirring set-pieces but these are not enough to rescue the film. Even what should be the highlight -- the ten plagues -- seem mechanical and lifeless with no sense given of the traumatic effect they must have had on the people of Egypt. God, unbelieveably, is played as a ten-year-old boy who is depicted as a spoiled selfish little brat.

Despite the enormous budget, Scott has produced a turkey with this one. I sat through the entire 2 1/2 hours of it only grateful that I didn't pay good money to watch it in a theatre.

I know everyone is saying Jurassic World this, Jurassic World that....! Tonight I went to see Spy - brilliant! Very funny - I laughed A LOT (out loud which is rare for me in public). I'd go and see it again happily.

Watched Shawn the Sheep for the second time yesterday....keep finding funny things in it that I didn't notice first time round.

Slow West; first time in ages that I've seen a film with a 5 star rating that actually deserved it. A sort of cross between The Road, Django Unchained, most Coen Brothers films and A Field in England. Beautifully filmed. Hoping to get back into seeing more films again now.

Last edited:
Two films watched last night. :surrender:

The new Mad Max --"Fury Road" -- all crash, bang, wallop. Okay if you like non-stop action, and aren't too concerned about character development, etc. Probably best viewed in the cinema for the full experience ................... I watched it on television.

Followed up by "Danny Collins". The tale of an aging rock star -- burnt out, cynical, hasn't written a new song in 30years -- who finds redemption and fulfillment. A John Lennon soundtrack. A nice film indeed; I liked it. And Al Pacino is a superstar ! A masterful piece of acting from him.

Last edited:
James Gandolfini's final film -- "The Drop".

Quite impressive, I liked it. It's a crime caper- but an intelligent one without the tedious car chases and guns blasting.
It's an excellent story, told via dialogue rather than the lazy flashback style that's prevalent nowadays. The acting by Tom Hardy, Gandolfini and Matthias Schoenaerts is top drawer.
A proper film.

Watched Foxcatcher last night-didn't know anything about it-slow enough to get going -found the second half completely engrossing.

For anyone interested in theatre

measure for measure at the globe was the best of the three Shakespeare's I've seen this year. It's a play that is frankly largely about sex but some great conundrums as ever

kafkas the trial at young vic was patchy in truth. Roy kin near was excellent but certain scenes didn't work. Unusual and intersting staging though

Gathered leaves is playing in the small and terrific park theatre in Finsbury park. Fine play about a family gathering. Really top cast including Jane Asher and this will transfer to west end I reckon. Not a wasted scene or word . nicely plotted. Excellent

I went to see RIchard II last week at the Globe - absolutely amazing, minimal set but acting top draw - worth the extra for cushions too!!!

Also off to see Judi Dench & Kenneth Brannagh in The Winters Tale at the Garrick in December

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 147
I have seen Richard 11 some years back at the old vic with Kevin spacey. I have it on did to watch again. Hollow crown so will pass probably but that's interesting..

i also saw saw king john at the globe. It's ordinary by his standards but they really know how to produce don't they? Merchant of Venice too this year

the globe is simply a fantastic place.

also theatre is always seen as expensive by some. West end musicals yes I suppose but nothing I saw this cost more than 25 and usually less than 20 . We are spoilt in London.

My other half is on 7months leave after 25yrs service at JL so its nice to be able to go to these things mid week

Tickets werent cheap tbh but sometimes its worth paying a little extra to get the full benefit of the show

Would recommend seeing this version as I also watched the Hollow Crown and this is superior (probably because you are there) plus we got involved in the coronation scene with throwing the confetti! Some of the standing tickets were literally involved with hugs from the cast!

Always better seen for real isn't it? It's great the way they interact with the crowd . Lots of that in measure for measure

yes. Looked at tickets. I might do it though although the play is also on at globe Wanamaker theatre this winter too

im seeing David hares new play about semi pro football at the national in a couple of weeks.

If it doesn't rain I'm going to see oddsocks do 12th Night at the the local park on Thursday. Just stayed up watching The Place Beyond the Pines; 3 hours but felt like 3 days. Was I missing something?

Finally got to watch 12 Monkeys so can take that off my tick list. Have got La Jetee on dvd so must now rewatch that again. Watched Sideways last night; an embryonic Nebraska...nowhere near as good and glad I didn't see it at the cinema but enjoyable to watch at home with a cup of tea. Will watch another one from the backlog tonight and wil probably spontaneously combust when I get to the end of the list. Oh, Fight Club is on ITV4 tonight.

Back