Films

I'm off to see Macbeth this week and Richard 11 at the globe on Friday. Bit of a bard week

last week I saw a play from the Edinburgh fringe at the gate theatre Notting hill. The Christians it was called and a big hit up there. the play was riveting and entertaining . Catch it if you can because it will probably tour.

Was hoping to go and see Macbeth tomorrow but it transpires it has already left my local cinema after only a week. Really peed off.

I'm off to see Macbeth this week and Richard 11 at the globe on Friday. Bit of a bard week

last week I saw a play from the Edinburgh fringe at the gate theatre Notting hill. The Christians it was called and a big hit up there. the play was riveting and entertaining . Catch it if you can because it will probably tour.

I agree Clive, the week sounds bloody awful ;)

After seeing "Sicario", I have taken the 40/1 (Ladbrokes) for Best Picture, Oscars.
Crazy perhaps, and I have never done such a bet before; but I am happy to take that bet.

(I cannot get a price about Denis Villeneuve (same film) for best Director).

I went to see RIchard II last week at the Globe - absolutely amazing, minimal set but acting top draw - worth the extra for cushions too!!!

Also off to see Judi Dench & Kenneth Brannagh in The Winters Tale at the Garrick in December

attachment.php

attachment.php

superb. What a fine lead performance

first bard play I saw on stage was Kevin spacey in same role but this was far more engrossing

loved it . One of his best plays too

Black Mass.
Okay-ish, I guess. I've seen better gangster films.
The cast is excellent; Johnny Depp is outstanding in the lead role.

The problem is possibly that we know the story well enough, and we know all we want to know about the lowlife criminal (James "Whitey" Bulger) already.

I was wondering about that one as I love Guillermos films but was worried that it would give me the heebie jeebies when I was on my own [I'm a bit of a wimp]. Some good films around at the moment, though after what seemed a dire summer film wise.

I skipped the lance Armstrong film because to documentary, stop at nothing , was heavily recommended instead by the times

its on Netflix and quite right too. I'm not sure anyone could play lance because he's such a powerful character. Like him or not, he was very very smart and it was hard not to have a sneaking admiration . Awful I know

Is this the way of the future .................... films being released first showing on Netflix?
Reason I ask is that the new "Beasts Of No Nation" directed by the outstanding Fukunaga ( True Detective) and starring Idris Elba is only available on Netflix and without a general theatre release. I'ld like to see it, but I doona hava Netflixa sub. :(

Saw The Martian last night; enjoyed it but thought [as usual] that it was 20 minutes too long. Sean Bean [national treasure] stopped it being too 'God Bless America'ish' and I loved the use of gaffer tape throughout [albeit wondering how he managed to break bits off without scissors and without it sticking to everything except what you want it to stick to]. Suffragette later this week; very much looking forward to that. May even give the new James bond a go, even though they've never been my cupoftea [stood next to Sam Smith in a shop last week and didn't know who he was till someone took me to one side and told me; mind you, he was wearing glasses].

Series 1 or Series 2 are you referring to?
Series 2 ( with Colin Farrell) left me somewhat lukewarm, but I think Series 1 (2014) -- with Matthew McConaughy and Harrelson -- is a masterpiece.

Last edited:
Loved True Detective the first series (missed last 3 episodes though) - not watched any of the second.

Series 1 - McConaughy is in full over-actor mode too, which he is often prone to, but usually manages to keep just on the right side of the line.

I have to believe in a story to enjoy it - if it's a load of tosh Bruckheimer action film with a ridiculous storyline and no pretensions to be anything other than an entertainment device, then I can suspend disbelief and just let it wash over me, but True Detective is hailed as, presented as and believes itself to be the masterpiece that Icebreaker saw it as.

However, what we get instead is a story where we are supposed to believe that 2 retired/old detectives being interviewed by current detectives about a case will spend hour after hour wittering on about how they thought their partner was ******* their wife, how their relationship was going with their mistress and with their wife (and we're supposed to believe that the detectives would sit and listen to their crapola as if they had nothing better to do with their lives). They said things that no normal person does - which often just works in a book, but never works on screen - there was one specific moment where Harrelson is arguing with his wife in episode 3 that just made me snap, can't remember the precise wording but it was straight out of Wankville, USA.

All said, I'd rather sit down with a Michael Connelly book to get my slice of True Detective.

Is this the way of the future .................... films being released first showing on Netflix?
Reason I ask is that the new "Beasts Of No Nation" directed by the outstanding Fukunaga ( True Detective) and starring Idris Elba is only available on Netflix and without a general theatre release. I'ld like to see it, but I doona hava Netflixa sub. :(

no the doc was in Netflix and the filmed drama just released

but curzon home successfuly show some new releases online . Especially foreign films.

Measure for measure at the young vic. An fully updated and shortened version with loads of blow up dolls would you believe. Enormous fun. Would really recommend

going to try to see Brooklyn this weekend. Love his novels ...especially the heather blazing..but not taken in this one as yet. Good reviews

Last edited:
Back