Films

I've just watched "the cup" was on telly the other ( late!) night so I recorded it. Didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did - I wasn't paying much attention to flat racing back then so I completely missed the whole Jason Oliver/ Damien Oliver tragedy that made the triumph so massive.

( obligatory " that's Martha from home and away and Joel from neighbours and oh my god - mad eye moody!!" )

The Lobster; Father Ted meets The Hunger Games and probably the weirdest film I've seen since Eraserhead. Loved the first half but the second half let it down a bit. Need to watch Dogtooth now.

Saw Brooklyn. Lovely movie, great acting, well shot, tight script, Saiorse wonderful, Paddywhackery minimised. Highly recommended.

Black Mass.
Okay-ish, I guess. I've seen better gangster films.
The cast is excellent; Johnny Depp is outstanding in the lead role.

The problem is possibly that we know the story well enough, and we know all we want to know about the lowlife criminal (James "Whitey" Bulger) already.

Just seen it, you are right Depp is outstanding. Enjoyed the film too, didn't know the story prior to seeing it, (apart from trailers).

Saw the Steve jobs film. Bit mixed. Plus is it rattles along well and is a good story with three particularly good scenes. One is a genuine great line delivered well. Second is same character later in and the final scene,which if real is touching

however fassbender doesn't feel right. The dialogue is too often rushed and scenes a bit over dramatised. Too many conversations whilst characters are marching around like soldiers. Danny boyle isn't a great director or even a good one Imo. It often feels clunky

overall it's just about worth seein

Last edited:
Saw transmission of hamlet from the Barbican with cumberbatch. Very energetic performance and he plays a fine hamlet. The gravediggers scene was superb and the overall staging quite spectacular. Good all round but although it's a great play and maybe his finest I'm never quite sure it's my favourite. Maybe a shade too dark and introspective maybe?

I went to see The Lady in the Van this week - really enjoyed it. Proving very popular too - sold out several places round here (mind you average age group is pretty ancient!)

Yes, I enjoyed that [although the S.O. hated it and we usually agree on films]. Annoyingly Brooklyn is no longer on and I didn't get round to seeing it.

Just seen Bridge of Spies, very good, really enjoyed it.

Me too. Thought Rylance and Hanks excellent. Niggle that Hanks too old to play his character but that's the sort of thing that niggles me!!
No mention at the end of other than second incident he was involved in of what happened in later years to Hanks' character when they made a point of mentioning Powers. Surely he won something of equivalent to our Honours List for what he did?

I've been to see a few films recently:
Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2 - Only just got into these and watched all the first 3 again on DVD before going to the cinema to see this one. I thought the film was quite well paced and had lots more action than the politics of Mockingjay Part 1 but the ending for me was a bit meh and left me feeling a bit flat.
Black Mass - Really enjoyed this, knew nothing about Whitey Bulger before this film and thought Depp was fantastic.
Bridge Of Spies - Thought it was ok but didn't leave me thinking I'd seen a classic. Tom Hanks excellent as ever.

Also watched a few on DVD - Blue Is The Warmest Colour, good film but might be an awkward watch if you've got the in laws round. Both the female leads are brilliant and both won the Palme D'Or along with the director. The young debut actress is excellent for one so inexperienced and the other one who plays the blue haired girl is in Spectre as the latest Bond flame. Also watched The Riot Club, not really the sort of film you can enjoy when you see the behaviour displayed but worth seeing nevertheless.

I've bought the AP McCoy DVD and Mr Calzaghe to watch over the next week or so.

Went to see The Winters Tale last night at the Garrick with Kenneth Brannagh and Dame Judi - amazing. Considering she celebrates her 81st bday today that lady sure can hold a stage!

Also saw Henry V at the Barbican a couple of weeks back which I might have preferred slightly more but they were better seats closer to the stage (and cheaper but thats probably because there were no marque names) and the story rattles on whereas last night was more about building storylines and characters (plus who doesnt know Henry V?!)

Thats it for our cultural fest for 2015 - mainly because hubby is going back to work in mid Jan after his 7 month sabbatical from work (yay!)

Last edited:
Never seen a winters tale but I think it's on at the globe soon

slightly off subject, the Al wei Wei exhibition at the RA is quite superb. No wonder it's been such a success. There are not a huge number of pieces but they are nearly all powerful and gripping as well as playful at times. The room dedicated to the earthquake victims and the shoddiness of Chinese building is stunning. A great artist.

Never seen a winters tale but I think it's on at the globe soon

slightly off subject, the Al wei Wei exhibition at the RA is quite superb. No wonder it's been such a success. There are not a huge number of pieces but they are nearly all powerful and gripping as well as playful at times. The room dedicated to the earthquake victims and the shoddiness and corruption of Chinese building is stunning, especially when you understand the story behind this great piece of work.

A great artist.

Back