Forum horse connections

Btw, Camira ran a nice race again last nice, finished fast and was a bit unlucky not to win. She had no problem coping with the higher grade, though, and is likely to go up another few pounds. A missed opportunity, perhaps, to take a nice pot but on the other hand maybe she can cope in even better races.

She has really turned a corner this year and may well have strengthened up from last year when sometimes she looked a tad one-paced (but might have been weakness). Clearly she's improving from being held up too. not a great ride from Moran who found nearly all the trouble he could, and the check a furlong out was crucial. If she only gets a few pounds, I'd expect she could go close again next time. Fast run races really seem to suit her.

Kauto, what do you do on racedays like today. When we had Brave Inca going to Cheltenham, I had a routine of walking the track the evening before, see him out for a pick of grass, see him on inside of track in morning, back for breakfast and morning line before heading to races early to soak up atmosphere and enjoy early races. Then let the legs shake in the parade ring before the race and find usual posse in Owners and Trainers stand. I'd be interested in hearing your Derby experience.

Well where to begin really. I was up at 5.30am this morning it felt like xmas when you were 8 Years old. I got ready and then me and a few mates caught the train up to Epsom. Listening to people on the train about there derby fancies tickled me I even heard one guy say he fancied my horse which pricked my ears. When I arrived I was fortunate enough to have had a box available so headed up there with some more friends. I had a little walk of the track which I have to say was not like a road and felt like something closer to good than firm to me. Then it was just a case of waiting for the moment. When it arrived the paddock was done and then followed M Bell to his watching pose after almost bumping into the queen which was slightly worrying. The race was like being in a bubble although I'm sure I mumbled a few things about being too far back etc..the next thing I knew it was all over with sweat on my brow, pleased but disappointed at the same time as I'm pretty sure the horse could have finished closer but that's life I guess and there will be another day.

Maybe Frank should watch Philip Makins' ride on Flipando (ironically ridden by him on several ocassions) to see how a hold up horse should be ridden at Epsom.

Mind you even by his standards nothing can compare with his ride on Master Hughie at Beverley the other week.
Never been so relieved to see a horse get up after such an idiotic manoeuvre by his jockey.

Kauto - that must have been the most incredible experience to have a runner in the Derby. Epsom probably wasn't his track but you should always take positives from a race. He was good enough to be there and he didn't disgrace himself. You have been through what 95% of owners dream about but never get to go through. Although you may not have got the result you were obviously hoping for, you have to say "Wow - we actually had a runner in the Derby! How amazing was that!"

Kauto - that must have been the most incredible experience to have a runner in the Derby. Epsom probably wasn't his track but you should always take positives from a race. He was good enough to be there and he didn't disgrace himself. You have been through what 95% of owners dream about but never get to go through. Although you may not have got the result you were obviously hoping for, you have to say "Wow - we actually had a runner in the Derby! How amazing was that!"

Don't get me wrong was the most amazing experience and I realise how lucky I am to have had a horse in the race let alone one with a semblance of chance. Just feel sorry for the horse more than anything that he didn't finish where I thought he deserved to. Jamie felt he didn't handle the track and he almost threw him out at the start when they jumped and the saddle slightly slipped backwards which made it an uncomfortable ride. Lots of positives to take and like I said there will be other days.
On another note I find it very sad for racing when you have an event like the derby with the amount of people in attendance and it still gets second or third billing on the news to the womens french open final, wales v south africa rugby and england v bangladesh in the cricket...you have to be worried about the future for racing when thats the case.

So where next Kauto? Royal Ascot too soon?

Not sure yet will see how the horse comes out of the race I would say Ascot will come too soon though will let the horse tell us when he is ready to go. The Curragh would certainly suit him but if Workforce went there I'm not sure there would be much point taking him on again.

CC is a very game colt and, as Kirsty says, you must be so proud of him. I'd love for him to have some good or good/soft ground to race on, as imo, his action leads you to believe he would be even better on that type of ground. The day sounded fabulous and even better, it sounds as though there are even better days to come with him yet.

What an honour to have a runner in the Derby! But do understand all the emotions of the roller coaster you were on, must have been surreal.

He looked pretty wonderful, really well turned out.

For sure he will be much closer on better ground and his Derby day will be a memory you will cherish forever. :)

Thanks for sharing Kauto. I find walking the track to be a great way to build up to the race. Just looking at what your horse has to go through. At Cheltenham, when you stand at the end of the back straight, up on top of the hill, and look down across the track and the stands, you really appreciate what the horses and jockeys go through.

On another note I find it very sad for racing when you have an event like the derby with the amount of people in attendance and it still gets second or third billing on the news to the womens french open final, wales v south africa rugby and england v bangladesh in the cricket...you have to be worried about the future for racing when thats the case.

100,000 people at the Derby suggests that a few news departments need to wake up.

Agree very much Gareth - the problem with racing is not the amount of people who attend - it is the coverage it gets from the media.

Kauto - I am not sure what you are seeing but I don't see anything wrong with the ride Spencer gave CC, and think (in a good way!) that is as good as he is over 1m4. I think the Leger on softer ground would be the ideal race for him. I couldn't have had him beating any of the horses ahead of him if the lined up again - have you considered racing him in France, where you would imagine the ground would suit maybe more? He's a nice horse with a good attitude so I would think there are decent races to be won with him - enjoy.

Haven't really looked at the ride but I can see that with Workforce winning so comfortably that the inclination is to think you should have finished closer and I guess that would be reasonable. The winner has improved no end though and seventh in a Derby is something to be proud of.

For us paupers we have to settle for small percentage shares in Summer jumpers :) and my fella Kikos is running again this friday evening at Aintree's last meeting of the summer. Unshipped his rider at the 4th last time; the eventual second in that race we gave a ten length beating the time before when not 100% fit. I think he'll go close on friday if he has his jumping back in order because he is definitely capable of winning of his current mark.

If he does and continues to progress there are thoughts of heading across the pond for the Galway Festival... That would be a treat.

After a few months of my string being out at grass and having a break and that, finally got an entry this weekend. Stargazy is entered at Lingfield, but is far from certain to run. There is a race at Brighton the following week which will suit better, but it's just nice to have one of the team back amongst the entries and its great to have Star back on track especially given he nearly died in December.

All equipment attached I assume Roddy? :)

Kikos declared for the 7.40 tomorrow night at Aintree. The good people are laying us on a carvery which i'm very happy about!!! No more rain as well please!

Joe Jo Star returns after his 2 bad experiences over fences in a 12f apprentice handicap at York on Friday. It's the race he won last year, but there's no plot, he's much higher in the weights this time around and doesn't look to have much room for manoeuvre from his current rating. An enthusiastic display and a top 4 finish would be great.

Oh, bless him, DJ. Very best wishes to the little dear - he'll no doubt be relieved those beastly fences aren't in the way and it should help him shrug off the any memory of the tumbles.

Good run from whereveryougoigo yesterday at Stratford. Backed down to favourite by I don`t know who,he came second to an 80/1 chance Vicpol, despite clearly hating the sharp bends on the track. The winner got right away from him on the final bend . What a pity he got ballotted out of his intended bumper at Worc last week,on such a galloping track he would have won methinks. Still,great prospect to work with.

A certain forum member might wish now to confess to a massive coup on VICPOL... but I'm saying nowt! Interesting that This Member suggested to VICPOL's connections that the horse would do well at Stratford because of its sharpness. Definitely brings home 'horses for courses', RO, and all the very best for your promising WYGIGO where he can stretch out. (Note for future coup!) Lovely for you to not have to worry what will suit in future with that result, too.

Last edited:
Back