Forum horse connections

Despite being last, beaten 11.5L in the Haynes Hanson & Clark on debut having missed the break and run green early before staying on well late, was in our eyes a really pleasing run from Evergreen Forest. Fergus likes him and thinks he'll be a nice middle distance horse next season.

He's come out of it all right and he's had his first taste of the track, and if his jockey thinks well enough of him, Flame, you may well have a nice one to play with next year. Although won't you do any AW during the winter?

Very disappointing Monitor Closely the other day. Things didn't turn out exactly as planned as we wanted to take a lead that didn't materialise unfortunately. By the time he started to front run the pace of the race was all wrong and it turned into a sprint. The horse did quicken but just didn't seem to see his race out again. Whether he just is lacking fitness still or if he is feeling the knee I'm not sure but he may be out again next Sunday at ascot where hopefully things will be more in his favour.

Kikos is entered at Worcester on Friday in the 0-135 2m Chase. Hopefully the rain stays away this week as he must have good ground but his blood tests have been A1 and he's in good form so if conditions are suitable he should run and give his usual good account. Sam Jones his usual jock is suspended so not sure on riding arrangements, hopefully McCoy will be free as he's ridden the horse before and suits the forcing tactics the horse needs.

As mentioned on the gallops report, our colt is now officially named DIAMOND BOB and should appear before the HIT sale if the ground has some give in it. Doubtful if he could win, as he's growing again and is on the weak side but should make a nice handicapper next year. If the other owner decides not to buy us out, he'll go through the HIT sale in October.

Is Diamond G passing stamina, a little unsual for one of Songys to be going a mile at 2 ? The winner of the Sales race yesterday drew clear in the last furlong on soft ground over 7f.

Most of the DGs have been waiting for softer ground and it would appear that they are needing further than you'd expect. Songy has a fair bit of stamina in her pedigree but she herself couldn't get beyond 6f - and she was no 2yo. I would have expected him to turnout first over 7f but then again, I found it difficult to believe FAREER would get a mile! If he can finish mid div, we would be well pleased with him.

Most of the DGs have been waiting for softer ground and it would appear that they are needing further than you'd expect. Songy has a fair bit of stamina in her pedigree but she herself couldn't get beyond 6f - and she was no 2yo. I would have expected him to turnout first over 7f but then again, I found it difficult to believe FAREER would get a mile! If he can finish mid div, we would be well pleased with him.

Her daughter One Alone however stayed all day - just not very fast !:lol:

We will be busy at Market Rasen on the weekend with Iron Man and No Panic in the Prelude on Saturday and Ballyvesey in a grade 2 novice chase Sunday

Busy and exhausting! Three horses on the go in 24 hours, that's some entertainment! Very best of luck to the lot, RO.

Meanwhile, TRY THE CHANCE scored a 2nd today at Leicester (albeit only in a 4-horse race, but they weren't bad babies), bobbling a bit in the dip where another horse later really lost action. 12 not bad kick-off form, though. Early entry for the Irish 2000 Guineas, but that's not 'til May, so God knows until then.

"What are we going to do with the Captain! He looked magnificent in the sunshine and Jenny said that he was in fine form and happy with himself. David's plan as usual was to tuck him in !!!!! and come with a run in the final furlong. As usual he broke too well and didn't get any cover whatsoever. He cruised up to the lead about a furlong and a half from the line and David said when he kicked him on he thought he was going to win by 4l. He however started to pull himself up and look around him. When Prohibit and Mr Hughie came to him he responded but they had the momentum to go pass him.David said afterwards that he needs to be produced closer to the line and that he would be better served by being entered in Group races where they would go faster for longer and he would be able to pick them off at the end.Tim Easterby agreed that he needs to be produced later.Speaking to Tim Palin afterwards he said that Listed and Conditions races were the way for him at present. Tim P mentioned the conditions race he won last year - 21st September."

Good luck to Captain Dunne in the 3:30 at Beverley today - Tax Free an obvious danger but on course form the 11/4 looks fair odds. Would love to see my good friend and her fellow syndicate members pick up the trophy today.

Just like to wish Captain Dunne the best of luck today at Doncaster as a good friend has a share - I recieved this e-mail.

Regarding Captain, I would presume at the moment that it is soft going on the horses pulled out, Doncaster is always a low draw course except when it comes up soft, then it reverts to high. In fact the time I remember our horse running there drawn 2 on soft ground and he finished last of twenty.

The feedback I got after the last race, which I dont personally agree with I might add was:

"What are we going to do with the Captain! He looked magnificent in the sunshine and Jenny said that he was in fine form and happy with himself. David's plan as usual was to tuck him in !!!!! and come with a run in the final furlong. As usual he broke too well and didn't get any cover whatsoever. He cruised up to the lead about a furlong and a half from the line and David said when he kicked him on he thought he was going to win by 4l. He however started to pull himself up and look around him. When Prohibit and Mr Hughie came to him he responded but they had the momentum to go pass him.David said afterwards that he needs to be produced closer to the line and that he would be better served by being entered in Group races where they would go faster for longer and he would be able to pick them off at the end.Tim Easterby agreed that he needs to be produced later.Speaking to Tim Palin afterwards he said that Listed and Conditions races were the way for him at present. Tim P mentioned the conditions race he won last year - 21st September."

Captain Dunne out again in the 3:30 Beverley - Good luck to all connected and I hope to see my good friend collecing the trophy today.

Last edited:
Iron Man ballotted out of the Prelude,so relying on No Panic. Tom O`Brien rides. Ballyvesey go`s to Hexham, next Wed I think.

DIAMOND BOB entered up at Newbury on Tuesday and Salisbury Wednesday. Sod's law they'll send him to Salisbury on the one day next week I can't go....:(

It'll be great to get him started after the naming fiasco. Let's hope he behaves fairly well and puts in a pleasing debut.

Not really a horse connection one but more a personal connection. Matt O'Connor who was riding as conditional jock in Colm Murphy's yard has moved to Tim Vaughan's yard and will be claiming 5lbs rather than his 3lbs in Ireland. I've loads of time for Matt and we were delighted to be able to give him his first winner in Feb after coming back from his serious head injuries in 2009. Just like Donie Fahy when he made the move to Evan Williams, there simply aren't the opportunities around in Ireland at the moment and what these young lads need is to ride horses and hopefully winnners. I expect him to do very well once he gets himself sorted. Don't forget, Dermot Weld said he was one of the best young pilots he had ever seen so watch out for "MM O'Connor (5)" when he makes his first appearance.

Yes, indeed. All the very best to Matt.

Now, you see, Cantoris's post has thrown up something I didn't realise - a difference in the claiming amounts between Ireland and the UK. Knock me down with a feather! Why is that, anyone know? Why can't the lad come over here claiming the same amount off?

DIAMOND BOB has been declared for Salisbury on Wednesday in the 2.30 mile maiden, Dane O'Neil riding.

Needless to say, it's the one day for this whole month gone (and next, come to think of it) when I can't go - and it's practically on my doorstep. Fecking typical!

He'll be lucky to finish mid div - would have preferred him to debut over 7f myself but I ain't training him, probably for very good reasons!!

Back