Forum horse connections

Know No Fear won't now be heading to Laytown. He wouldn't have got on in on the ballot but it seems the Irish don't want English horses to run in their races, but not allowing overseas runners to run in handicaps 47-65 and under, unless they have one run in non handicap company in Ireland first.

Disgraceful, I say we do the same back to them and stop all their winter plots of Martin, Donohoe, Elliott, McGuiness and Smyth who have done nothing but exploit our races in recent season's at lower grades.

If an Irish trainer bought a UK horse with a rating below 60 he would not be allowed run straight into a handicap in Ireland either - the handicapper wants to see him run first before assessing him. So it is not English trained horses per say - it is any horse trained abroad or imported from abroad rated under 60.

Can either of you point me to the relevant rule, please?

I see that under HRI Directive 10 the balloting procedure for under-65 flat handicaps gives priority to horses which finished 1st of 2nd in a flat race run in Ireland, and then to horses previously eliminated or balloted from a race run in Ireland.

But that is not the same thing as saying horses from abroad are not allowed to run in lower grade Irish handicaps until they have at least one run in Ireland.

Didn't nap him by any chance did he?

Most of these excuses for tipsters like to put up shorties.

Ran very strongly until just overtaken, finishing third. He makes the winner, LITTLE DEAN JIMMY, look like a pony! Lovely-looking horse, just right for chasing - dinnerplate feet, all ready for the winter slush!

I can report that Only The Best was practically somnambulent in his box at Wynbury today. No amount of clicking, snapping of fingers or shouts of "C'mere you dozy bastard" could get him to open his peepers any more than a crack.

Thankfully, he perked-up immediately his stable-lad started launching some tack at him, and we watched him loosen-up in the indoor barn, before doing a few circuits of the euphemistically-named "back-ring".

We then watched him canter the uphill gallop and walk back down again, before it was time for me to go and get mullered at golf at Catterick Garrison.

He schooled around 20 or so mini fences yesterday, and David Parry said he did it well. He needs to put on a bit more fitness before he will be schooled over the real thing, and whilst no plans have been made as yet, we can probably expect to see entries form him around late October/early November - hopefully in a staying novice chase somewhere like Hexham or Kelso, though a pipe-opener over hurdles (still novice qualified for a few weeks yet) can't be discounted.

Hopefully, his early appearance was down to some equine-Zen visualisation of the last in the RSA Chase, rather than a diminishing interest in doing anything other than napping. He looked in great nick otherwise, and seeing him in the flesh today has got the old juices flowing again.

Last edited:
Great update, Grassy - I'm sure he was just in the zone when you first saw him (no doubt those carrot aroma candles he was burning helped him), and he was practising take-off lines in his head. He sounds as if he will give you some super days out, and I hope you have a cracking winter with him.

I wouldn't say she was all that unlucky, landlord.

It was starting to get interesting approaching the furlong pole but, for whatever reason, she didn't really see it through. I agree that it was a competitive race and the horses in front of her are decent, and she might still pick up an easier race before the season is over..

Just like to wish Captain Dunne the best of luck today at Doncaster as a good friend has a share - I recieved this e-mail.

Regarding Captain, I would presume at the moment that it is soft going on the horses pulled out, Doncaster is always a low draw course except when it comes up soft, then it reverts to high. In fact the time I remember our horse running there drawn 2 on soft ground and he finished last of twenty.

The feedback I got after the last race, which I dont personally agree with I might add was:

"What are we going to do with the Captain! He looked magnificent in the sunshine and Jenny said that he was in fine form and happy with himself. David's plan as usual was to tuck him in !!!!! and come with a run in the final furlong. As usual he broke too well and didn't get any cover whatsoever. He cruised up to the lead about a furlong and a half from the line and David said when he kicked him on he thought he was going to win by 4l. He however started to pull himself up and look around him. When Prohibit and Mr Hughie came to him he responded but they had the momentum to go pass him.David said afterwards that he needs to be produced closer to the line and that he would be better served by being entered in Group races where they would go faster for longer and he would be able to pick them off at the end.Tim Easterby agreed that he needs to be produced later.Speaking to Tim Palin afterwards he said that Listed and Conditions races were the way for him at present. Tim P mentioned the conditions race he won last year - 21st September."

I would be VERY interested in Look Busy if the ground is truly on soft side, the stalls on stands side and the ground is firmer away from the rail therefore captains draw today is not as big an inconvenience as it might have been. For me the race could be in Look Busy's hands especially if on soft going, but the only reason I would rule Captain out is if it came up soft. On good to soft his draw would not be a problem in fact the higher draw would be of benefit.

Extra?? You should've seen the way he crammed his pockets last time he visited, and that was just to say hallo! Looking forward to seeing y'all again, Flame, and fingers x'd for KNF. Going still Good and while we've gone to the predicted 'white cloud' after burning bright sun, rain's not supposed to be on the agenda. So cooler than 90 minutes ago, but still pleasant. Just can't believe we've got 8 races with decent fields!

Looked bloody horrible again.

Keep an eye on for Dancing Again from that race,she ran much better today and the family get better with age,not a lost cause by any means.

Hope it's better at Plumpers on Sunday where I fear I'm going to be subjected to the Thommo roadshow for the second Sunday in a row after he turned up at Ffos Las yesterday.
Especially as it's ladies' day!

What do you mean, 'dare you'? He's always in drag - won Miss Most Shapely Bottom at Windsor on their last night meeting!

I'll be at Plumpers but in the restaurant with a couple of chums and several of their rellies and friends. I'm trying to swerve work involving too much standing as the old knee still a bit of a bummer at present. Doc thinks the ligament's twanged and a colleague of mine who's got the same 'condition' isn't very upbeat about it getting much better! Great - lots more sitting down and feeding my fat face!

Should have a runner this Sunday in the Novice hurdle at Uttoxeter` Call Me Bill.

Good horse,and thank God we are back to a bit of UK jumps action. Looking forward to the big Blue Square meeting at Market Rasen the following weekend.

Very best of everything, RO and Flame. Hope the horses enjoy their outings and come back pleased with themselves.

Good luck but it's a competitive renewal of this race, Rainbow Peak will be hard to beat over this sort of trip - thank God Savill is finally stepping him up in trip, the horse has been crying out for it, and even a furlong more! I think Dangerous Midge will go close too.

Back