Forum horse connections

What I see of Tim Vaughan on telly seems to be very likeable - appears to be open and frank about his string and their abilities. Anyone had any dealings with him?

How much would you give for a 120 rated 9 year old chaser? Realistically, only one season left? Vaughan bought a 110 rated 9 year old hurdler half an hour later for £5k. If he was a year younger, I think he would have got £15k.

Fair point. I remember at one point thinking he could be quite useful but I am not sure he was made the best use of.

What I see of Tim Vaughan on telly seems to be very likeable - appears to be open and frank about his string and their abilities. Anyone had any dealings with him?

Tim is a top drawer man,brilliant at point to points and equally adept at the big game. Honest and genuine he joins a host of emerging training talent in South Wales.
If you wonder where they are in the Racing Post ,they come under West Country,deemed not to be important enough to have their own category I suppose,despite having three in the top ten jumps trainers and about six in the top twenty.

Saw that in the RP,think Aragorn bought one at the same sale.

Nick is the guy who runs the racing clubs and partnerships. I just own a share in one of those horses. He does well at the sales Nick, picked up Kikos for nine grand and he's won a lot more than that and gone up over 25lbs in the interim. I'm sure people will also remember the ill fated Olney Lad who ran in Nick's colours and won at the Punchestown festival a few years back. He also had Robo and Omaruru running in his colours this year with great credit. Nice fella and a good set-up.

Last edited:
Thanks, Roddy - he gives a very positive impression, and his website is top-class. In fact, I liked the way he presented his set-up on it so much that I'd be inclined to recommend the fellow just on that alone! You don't get too many trainers inviting you to pop along any time, that's for sure, and that points (to me) to him being completely at ease about how you'd find the horses and the yard.

You might elaborate on that

Didn't seem to run enough; a horse running Osana and Sports Line to 8 and 10 lengths should be rated higher than 120; seemed to have the guts pulled out of him by running him in a bog; no real plan for horse.

You make it feel like I have just called your girlfriend fat.

I thought you and others had reasonable hopes for the horse.

Couldn't possibly comment on that Kri but if you're at Brighton on Thursday will tell more :)

I'll back Martin up on that one. :D

See you there Kri? I get in for free with my Sandown members badge so we won't need to have a row about Brighton's (absolutely ludicrous) admission prices after the meeting. :D

Okay - I'll have to find something else for us to have a row about, then! Yep, I will be there, looking after winning connections (but not if all the winners are owned by assorted sheikhs, other Arabs, or Dr Koukash - then it's up to Jason Weaver to knock back the cava).

NOVABRIDGE, bred by Songsheet, scoots to 1st at Yarmouth in the 4.40. Out the gate, and Kieren's busy furtling around with his left stirrup, so doesn't ask him to go on bar keep up; the blinkers begin to slide up our hero's face, which doesn't deter him from his efforts; Kieren grabs them when they reach NOVABRIDGE's ears and whups 'em off, they gather in the field and then the favourite, and bingo! A neat little win, with an inquiry resolved by the declared blinkers being on from the start of racing, and Kieren not just taking them off because he felt like it. Fascinating contest.

Monitor Closely runs tomorrow in the jockey club stakes. Hoping for a big run he is going to have the quick ground he loves for the first time since York last year which I think will make a huge difference for him. He has tightened up considerably for the first run this year and the form of that race hasn't worked out to badly. A mate said they saw 12/1 in ladbrokes yesterday and that seems more than a fair price.

Cousins horse runs in the 5:10 at Dundalk, El Gran Torino. Expected to go well. Relatively cofident he can place, although win might just be beyond his reach. Fingers crossed.

Well that wasn't great but unfortunately Ryan Moore said the horse wouldn't let himself down so guessing it's the knee he's feeling. As he is a tough old sod it must be pretty bad so the options now are very limited and a happy retirement may beckon for him.

Back