French Flat Season 2012

• Thread starter Thread starter Bruce_Savage
  • Start date Start date
Even if they didn't beat anything in winning it.

Some are easily pleased!

If races like this continue we might as well introduce a new level called Group 0.5 that ensures a thoroughbred will be tested to it's ability through competition of others.

Just a race planning problem. Having 3 group 1s in a six day space for older horses at 1850 metres to 2400 metres makes no sense. European race pattern to space these races out better. Tag that with Sea Moons race yesterday and Bregadier Gerard this thursday is just pure congestion which does racing no favours. There are probably races in Germany and Italy I didnt even consider to support this point.

in handicapping terms are 2yo's on a lower scale?..the conditions for their G1's are lower but i would have thought that wfa is included so why is the level lower?

similarily in class B 2yo handicaps the highest rateds are lower than class 2 older handicaps

is it because they haven't run many times so the ratings are deemed less reliable so erred on side of caution

Last edited:
Yesterday was a great day's racing, and I wouldn't take too much notice of Sagawara winning with several others close up - she looks to have plenty of scope, was winning a 3yo Group one on only her third start, and was very green when asked to produce her effort, and looked very immature in the parade ring - a lot more to come from this one.

Soumillion was telling Botti Planteur produced an amazing burst of speed (a slight exaggeration) so wouldn't be surprised to see that one drop back to a mile.

Golden Lilac was very impressive to my eyes, and won with quite a bit in hand. I'd like to see her go to Ascot for whatever race Frankel doesn't.

Hopefully now people will be a but more realistic when talking about Cirrus des Aigles - yes, a very nice and hardy horse, and top class. But, he is NOT this wonderhorse that people have seemed to suggest on here (I have been quite vocal about this) and will not be beating Frankel nor giving him a decent race. He's a 126/127 horse for me (unless the other horses can't run in the bog), which is no disgrace, but this needs to be recognised.

Sagawara is one to lay once she faces 110 fillies, cheekpieces worked first time out but looks a quirky type

Cirrus had and off day and needs a longer distance and softer ground, on his conditions he is a minimum 135 horse for me.

Golden Lilac, nice run, below her best and needs to be dropped to a mile, her program is quite open with races like Falmouth, Astarte, Moulin, JLM, Sun Chariot and BC Mile , of course trying to avoid Frankel and Excelebration

Excelebration is Cirrus mark 2 - massively overrated. Maybe we can all make money opposing him like we did Cirrus yesterday. There was nothing wrong with the ground, and wouldn't have inconvienced any horse.

Beating Dubawi Gold a couple of lengths is nowhere near top form.

Sagawara was green and inexperienced the whole day, hence the cheekpieces. They may come off in future I would think. One to follow. (she has already met and beaten 110 fillies).

Last edited:
Soumillion was telling Botti Planteur produced an amazing burst of speed (a slight exaggeration) so wouldn't be surprised to see that one drop back to a mile.

Still like this horse but he ran poorly in the Marois if memory serves and I'd like to see him over 12f again.

Excelebration is Cirrus mark 2 - massively overrated. Maybe we can all make money opposing him like we did Cirrus yesterday. There was nothing wrong with the ground, and wouldn't have inconvienced any horse.

Beating Dubawi Gold a couple of lengths is nowhere near top form.

Sagawara was green and inexperienced the whole day, hence the cheekpieces. They may come off in future I would think. One to follow. (she has already met and beaten 110 fillies).

we have a different view of the ratings

I have Sagawara on 107$
and Cirrus on 135 and Execelebration on 132
in fact this pair is not overrated, they are underrated

Given that poundage, I won't quibble about a pound here or there. Suspect anyone rating Excelebration a 130+ horse simply uses a higher poundage.

Solemia should be winning the 2.55 Saint Cloud if she gets a clear run. Peslier got her into all sorts of trouble the last day. She's a filly definitely on the upgrade.

Dubawi Gold
120 in his last

120 in Sha Tin in December

123 in the QEii

119 in the Moulin

117+ in the Goodwood Mile

116+ in the Irish Guineas

121 Guineas

solid horse able to put good performance

Excelebration was not at his best in the Lockinge

but last year showed more than once he is a better horse than a 130

in fact 132 in the QEii and 133+ in the Hungerford

128 in the Lockinge and 125+ in the Moulin

Andre Fabre hails Golden Lilac as the best filly he's ever trained, hands down. In the next sentence he says his only option at Royal Ascot would be the Prince of Wales as he does not want to take on Frankel in the Queen Anne. Strong statements indeed.

She should win the Prince of Wales without too much difficulty.

Hopefully Cirrus and So you think turn up to make a nice price, as both have had their share of hype this past year.

Back