Glorious Goodwood

I got every reason to hate the Stewards cup. Well not really.. I bought a filly Storm Runner via Tony Charlton through Gosden's travelling head lad Andrew "Sammy Stringer" for 5k.
We got her cheap because she never made her reserve at the sales and the seller didn't wan't to take her back to Ireland and pay more costs till he could sell her again.

I sold half to my partner Ronnie and we ran her in his name as our previous horse was in my name. First time up she was beaten in a photo by Donavan Rose trained by Jack Berry.

We thought we had won a watch as she wasn't anywhere near 100% but alas she decided she liked the look of fire and ran straight into a pile of wood the builder was burning in the yard,.

She became quite scatty but eventually we got her mind right and Pat Eddery rode her at Haydock and told us that if we dropped her in class she would win.

So we went the whole hog and dropped her into Selling Class and she pizzed up. Tony called me and said she is in tomorrow again can I run her again?

I couldn't go racing because of business so I just said ok. Went into the local bookes and low and behold she had won.

What I didn't know because I was so busy to look is it was another seller.

Aldeera Bloodstock went all out and broke the track record for the most paid for a selling race winner at about 14K
not the done thing is it?

As we weren't there Tony had no choice but let her go.

She wnt on to repeat the dose in H'caps winning 2 in 2 days then they put her in the Steward Cup.

She was 50/1 and I thought they were crazy but last going into the final furlong she flew home and finished 5th beaten about 3 lengths by memory.

What came next was like being poked in the eye with a shrap stick. They sold her to a stud in Abu Dhabi for 92,000 pounds:( Such is life.

Could have been worse, tan. She might have won the Stewards :D

Well done Reet.you had the luck today.Stone of destiny should have won that.

The Lamplighter should have won it he's one of the unluckiest losers I have seen all season.

I thought there was a gap on the outside of the main pack on the outside of Lethal Levi to go through but Pat Cosgrave chose to hold on for another 50 yards to eventually come through the centre only beaten a short head.

I suppose it's easier in my chair at home than it would be riding those sprinters over six furlongs at Goodwood but still The Lamplighter was so unlucky.

Well done Reet.

Come on Soapy Stevens in the next.

Last edited:
Saturday 2.45 - Forbearance 16/1, 4 places - I have this one joint-top with Sea La Rosa (13/8f) so the each-way to four places is a bit of a no-brainer. It's the type I can see Simon Rowlands putting up tomorrow evening, in which case the price will collapse. You can get 18/1 to three places.

(For those who have faith in RPRs, she's 2lbs clear of the favourite.)

There's a non-runner - the rank outsider :mad: - so we're down to three places instead of four. On the upside, she's now into about 6/1.

As an Emily Dickinson backer I didn't enjoy that. One plus on betting on the jumps long term, fewer of those races are basically decided by the jockeys.

Would bring tears to a glass eye Euro....they could easily have gotten closer from the start........giving a horse 30 lengths or more of a start if it has four legs and a tail is dangerous in anyones book

Not sure what thread you put it in mo but top bombing !

Heart goes out to outsider just realised tabdeed was 2nd.

Last edited:
Well done Commanche backers.

Makanah did me proud finished 7th.

I checked one of my bets on him it seems Ladbrokes only went six places.

Utter swines!! Shameful!

Last edited:
Not sure what thread you put it in mo but top bombing !

Heart goes out to outsider just realised tabdeed was 2nd.

Yes. Later in the final furlong I was thinking that at least if Tabdeed got up then Outsider would have had the winner and that would have pleased me too.

Saturday:
I like three Sat, no winners yet on the week though.

Trawlerman - I backed this at Newmarket and he got a horror ride at the back on the inside. He was 8s when decs were made and I was happy to take that. The only angle I have is a step up in trip will suit and with a claimer on I do believe he is on a winning mark.

First Folio - One of my longest standing trackers. I actually have him in an ante-post ew trixie with Cam Young (Open) and Mishriff (Juddmonte) so just placing will be a really good result. He ran well from a bad draw in the Wokingham and is consistent - I just hope the draw hasn't fucked him.

Emily Dickinson - Should be clear fav for the Lillie Langtry. Her form with Rosscarbery is the best on offer here and she will relish this test. I've got 5/2 and she should be 13/8.

Nice one with Trawlerman, Euro.

Had a reasonable week
Winners were:
Sandrine
Marbaan
Lord Riddiford
Kyprios
Mischief Magic
Secret State
New London
(Rushford...yeah Sandown but I was on a roll by then!)
Nashwa
Khaadem
Rochicciani
Sea la Rosa
Im A Gambler

Placed were:
Yacowlef
Samahram
Inverness
Dance Fever
Primo Bacio
Modern Games
Kape Moss
Dusky Prince
Run Simbu
Regional
Authors Dream
Rebel Territory
Loyal Touch
The Lamplighter
Dark Shot
Tinto
Bolthole
Dutch Decoy

Actually I have done better than I thought. I’ve had plenty of losers too....and I do back several in a race especially if it’s a big handicap. But my account is slightly larger than when I started so a fair week. And as always, it’s fun. And the chickens have been spared :lol:

Actually to go back to my Johnston theory, although he won first and penultimate races, I think his horses on the whole look very over-trained. They are Uber lean and I suspect he’s been galloping the sh*t out of them at home. Many certainly under-performed.

Last edited:
Had a reasonable week
Winners were:
Sandrine
Marbaan
Lord Riddiford
Kyprios
Mischief Magic
Secret State
New London
(Rushford...yeah Sandown but I was on a roll by then!)
Nashwa
Khaadem
Rochicciani
Sea la Rosa
Im A Gambler

Placed were:
Yacowlef
Samahram
Inverness
Dance Fever
Primo Bacio
Modern Games
Kape Moss
Dusky Prince
Run Simbu
Regional
Authors Dream
Rebel Territory
Loyal Touch
The Lamplighter
Dark Shot
Tinto
Bolthole
Dutch Decoy

Actually I have done better than I thought. I’ve had plenty of losers too....and I do back several in a race especially if it’s a big handicap. But my account is slightly larger than when I started so a fair week. And as always, it’s fun. And the chickens have been spared :lol:

Geezo, doll, you bet more than me :lol:

Back