Glorious Goodwood

Day 2

Just the one bet on day 2. I backed Benefit at 10/1 for this last week expecting a single figure field and 17 of the fcukers turn up. Heredia is a danger and likeliest winner I suppose, the Godolphin thing has Meydan form so who knows. I personally can't stand Primo Bacio Oscula broke my heart on Saturday - can't believe she's running again tbh. Benefit was eye catching in the Cecil Frail when she ran on really well to finish a good third behind Sense of Duty and Flotus.She then won a listed race nicely at Salisbury before again tackling Flotus at York - I bet her that day despite it being very hard to come from behind on the Knavesmire (why do I keep doing this, see Silver Samurai last Saturday. ffs). Anyway, this easy 7 should really suit her and with Ryan on I'm more confident of a less **** ride if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Thursday 1.50 - Warren Point 8/1 BOG - I think I'm right in thinking this is the old Extel Handicap which Luca Cumani was famous for plundering. Godolphin has three in the race and all three are in my top two ratings. Buick rides Warren Point, the most lightly raced and the only one with a Group entry (Voltigeur) so I reckon he's probably a very sound bet at the price. Surely he'll go off at half that price or less. If that entry is justified he must be a long way better than a 95 handicapper. I've also taken 18/1 (boosted to 20s) Whitefeathersfall for the Johnstons.

Thursday 3.00 - Jack Darcy 14/1 - I was genuinely expecting this one to be twice this price but have decided to take it anyway. I don't have a rating for it but it's interesting [to me] that Cole brings it here to this race to defend an unbeaten record off OR 98 when, if it's good enough for this race, it could have had one of the handicaps at its mercy. It's stepping up to this 12f and is bred for the St Leger trip. Neil Callan has had a winner, two seconds and a third from four rides for Cole this season. This horse was the winner. Hoo Ya Mal and the Godolphin hotpot will obviously be difficult to beat but nothing ventured and all that...

Last edited:
Day 2

Just the one bet on day 2. I backed Benefit at 10/1 for this last week expecting a single figure field and 17 of the fcukers turn up. Heredia is a danger and likeliest winner I suppose, the Godolphin thing has Meydan form so who knows. I personally can't stand Primo Bacio Oscula broke my heart on Saturday - can't believe she's running again tbh. Benefit was eye catching in the Cecil Frail when she ran on really well to finish a good third behind Sense of Duty and Flotus.She then won a listed race nicely at Salisbury before again tackling Flotus at York - I bet her that day despite it being very hard to come from behind on the Knavesmire (why do I keep doing this, see Silver Samurai last Saturday. ffs). Anyway, this easy 7 should really suit her and with Ryan on I'm more confident of a less **** ride if that makes any sense.

Theres a big race in Silver samurai Euro.finished strongly again.

Reckon Oscula ran her best race this season on Saturday, just didn't quite last home.
No surprise she turns out again for this easier task, and I've taken the 7/1 for her to prove it.

Took 10/1 Studio City in the Molecomb; could be anything on form, but I doubt it's coincidence that RM rides him, and they've spurned a more valuable sales race , on home soil next Monday, to run him here.

Last edited:
I've taken Bathrat Leon at 19/1 to 4 places in the big race. The Japanese horse is fourth top on ORs and RPRs and there has to be a chance the Japanese horses are slightly under-rated. He certainly shouldn't be twice the price of Chindit in the 3- and 4-place markets.

I hope Tom rides my YACOWLEF better.445 25/1

Led and wandered at salisbury over 7f behind MARBAAN admittedly getting a stone (with a 7lb claimer on)but this is an easier 6f.for P.Cole to send it here with a top jock booked has to give me hopel

Thanks for this one, would definitely have not have picked this up. Good of you to share and thus allow me to have an interest in a race I was definitely going to watch but could find anything interesting. Made the race an exciting watch albeit to small stakes. Otherwise might have made a hot drink.

NB This this is not after timing, it is the decent thing to do when someone does you a favour !

Realistically I expect Baseed to win the Sussex but Alcohol Free is my favourite horse and has been for sometime. Have not backed ew but have had some cover bets and she certainly does not owe me. Not up to going today but will shouting her home standing in front of the telly.

Here's one for Jinny and Fist:
Titan Rock 5.20 C/D winner, who performed creditably on his only other visit to the track. Ran well, returning from a wind op and a break in a decent York contest,was stymied by soft ground at Haydock, then probably flying too high in the Bunbury Cup.
Drop in class and fast ground both in his favour.
Took 20's earlier with B365 earlier, (and same with Hills just now, but can't see it lasting).

Last edited:
There's a race on Friday that's really interesting from a market point of view:

Thoroughbred Stakes - best prices:

Bayside Boy (Varian) 13/8
Checkandchallenge (Knight) 2/1
Berkshire Shadow (Balding) 4/1

The Balding horse holds the Varian on SJP running so why is he so much bigger? Now, Varian horses seem to be shorter than justified a lot of the time and Ryan Moore does take the ride so that may explain it but I've always considered the trainer more important than the rider and IMO Balding is better. Views?

Didn't a horse called Trillium win the Stewards' Cup back in the '70s?

Edit - just checked the race record. No mention. Pretty sure it ran in it at least once.

Last edited:
Took 10/1 Studio City in the Molecomb; could be anything on form, but I doubt it's coincidence that RM rides him, and they've spurned a more valuable sales race , on home soil next Monday, to run him here.
Read that badly wrong, never put in the race, but goes in the tracker, as he was obviously over here for some reason?

Here's one for Jinny and Fist:
Titan Rock 5.20 C/D winner, who performed creditably on his only other visit to the track. Ran well, returning from a wind op and a break in a decent York contest,was stymied by soft ground at Haydock, then probably flying too high in the Bunbury Cup.
Drop in class and fast ground both in his favour.
Took 20's earlier with B365 earlier, (and same with Hills just now, but can't see it lasting).

I assure you they think if he finished 4th or 5th they would be over the moon.....the one the dogs are barking for that is Richard Hanons Mum's Tipple

I've taken Bathrat Leon at 19/1 to 4 places in the big race. The Japanese horse is fourth top on ORs and RPRs and there has to be a chance the Japanese horses are slightly under-rated. He certainly shouldn't be twice the price of Chindit in the 3- and 4-place markets.

Didn't quite make it to the Longshot thread but a return nonetheless. :)

I was slightly underwhelmed - based on expectations and his price - by Baaeed on first viewing but when I watched it again I was much more impressed. I don't think he's quite hit the mid-130s performance I believe he has in him but he's hammered decent markers like Chindit.

Haggas is a brilliant interviewee too (as is Mrs H).

I've taken 12/1 Myristika in this 4.10 at Goodwood for the sake of an interest. I hadn't looked at it before now but it's on the telly and I've some pennies to play with. Buick riding for Easterby.

Last edited:
The Platinum Queen was pretty damn quick today. 10 second furlongs and she bested the Molecomb time easing up.

Sooner or later I am going to have to submit and admit Baaeed is something really special.

I though William Buick gave a first class display on how to hold a horse up without giving everything 10 lengts of a start.

He gave Secret State a peach of a ride puting him to sleep in 3rd place, never at anytime looked like getting into any trouble and when the time was right forced him to the front.

Pity he's not Italian or he might have been given the ride on StradV which he would have won on.:cool:

Some of you seem to have killed it - well done, all :thumbsup:

For me, it’s been a nightmare of a day. Outsider wised me up to Maksud in the opener when mid morning herself shouted we were late for our dentist appointments. Panic and dashed off a few last minute bets since it was Tesco after the dentist. Got back just in time to see the opener - Maksud second 14/1. Mugader 5th you may recall I was ew 15/1 to 4 places - damn. It got worse, checked my account and found that in my panic bets I had put £20 on Maksud to win instead of £2 ew.

It got worse, called out to dash off and feed the rabbits - our grandchildren are away - and not back until after racing to find my sure thing of the day at Redcar ran like a donkey and not the “should be odds on “ performance I had reckoned on. It got worse, checked the day’s results to find Primo Bacio had cost me a little again - as expected, so no big deal. It got worse. Wow! Saved by The Big Board in the first race at Leicester and 7/1 at that. Nope, I hadn’t backed it in all the confusion.

Hey ho, give me hug, guys :(

Last edited:
I didn’t have such a good day either. Only the one winner in Secret State but six placed horses at reasonable places. But I thought it more difficult today (never back odds on)
Day did start off well as I got back on my horse (post Covid) and it was lovely riding in the sunshine. Round the lanes then back through our town which he loves as he’s the ultimate nosey bugger :lol:. I was leading our new recruit (ex polo pony) and she had never been out so he loved showing her the neighbourhood and stopping to be admired by the “natives!”

I'm ashamed to say I dropped 4 figures this month and I am still in the bad books with no let up in sight.

A couple of weeks of me moaning saying I have nothing to do in the evenings (6 hours behind the UK here) should do the trick:whistle:

Until then I can play pretend with beer bottle tops:lol:

Some of you seem to have killed it - well done, all :thumbsup:

For me, it’s been a nightmare of a day. Outsider wised me up to Maksud in the opener when mid morning herself shouted we were late for our dentist appointments. Panic and dashed off a few last minute bets since it was Tesco after the dentist. Got back just in time to see the opener - Maksud second 14/1. Mugader 5th you may recall I was ew 15/1 to 4 places - damn. It got worse, checked my account and found that in my panic bets I had put £20 on Maksud to win instead of £2 ew.

It got worse, called out to dash off and feed the rabbits - our grandchildren are away - and not back until after racing to find my sure thing of the day at Redcar ran like a donkey and not the “should be odds on “ performance I had reckoned on. It got worse, checked the day’s results to find Primo Bacio had cost me a little again - as expected, so no big deal. It got worse. Wow! Saved by The Big Board in the first race at Leicester and 7/1 at that. Nope, I hadn’t backed it in all the confusion.

Hey ho, give me hug, guys :(

I shouldnt laugh but I cant help it.weve all been there,done it and got the t shirt.
If it's any consolation BJ I did Maksul to win,didnt expect it to drift to 16s sp 14s.

Back