Glorious Goodwood

I had just the one bet, Benefit, and she was withdrawn at the start - so things are looking up. Didn't enjoy seeing Oscula win as I was all over her on Saturday. Ironically she was probably the third best filly in that race today but with trouble in running and the second going for home too early she ran below her level from Ascot and still won.

I have around two dozen horses in my tracker and Migdam is probably the one I'm keenest on and whilst I was pleased initially he was going for the opener tomorrow rather than the race Secret State won today (would have meant a step up in trip) this looks a lot harder from an opposition standpoint. Vee Sight looked a potential group horse at Sandown and the colt he beat into third that day, Hamaki, went into the tracker immediately and won nicely at Haydock earlier in the month. He's a massive danger. Migdam was 7s initially when betting opened and I've topped up since. He'll make my week a good one if he wins.
Asaasi is also in my tracker but lower down the pecking order. His win at York was franked by the third at Donny last week and I've put him in an ew double with Noble Dynasty. Another tracker horse is Wanees (three in the same race is a nightmare really) and whilst he was a bit disappointing in the Britannia he's bred to enjoy this step up in trip. I don't know what to do about him - I'll likely find a multiple to include him in, probably involving Dreamloper who I fancy in the Nassau.

Nashwa looks short to me at around evs and Dreamloper's win in the d'Ispahan might be the best form here. Last time was too great a stamina test on Irish ground over an extended 10f and 13/2 is a fairly safe ew bet.

Last edited:
... Another tracker horse is Wanees (three in the same race is a nightmare really) and whilst he was a bit disappointing in the Britannia he's bred to enjoy this step up in trip. I don't know what to do about him -

I spent a fair bit of time checking Wanees the other night. I think the breeding/dosage angle is inconclusive, the form book comment on his last run suggests he wants dropping back to seven furlongs and his only other entry is the 1m Clipper Logistics race at York.

:blink:

Last edited:
Also like Migdam; Sick of Wm Hill & their crappy website, so I've emptied my account on him.
Chateau looks a solid bet in the Richmond, and have taken 6/1 Le Beau Garcon in the 4.45.

Also like Migdam; Sick of Wm Hill & their crappy website, so I've emptied my account on him.
Chateau looks a solid bet in the Richmond, and have taken 6/1 Le Beau Garcon in the 4.45.

I hope you are right Reet as I've done those 3 in a trixie.

Leaving aside whether you are in profit or not for the meeting so far, is anyone else as underwhelmed as I am by it all?

I can't put my finger on why, but I am.

Maybe it's because the later races are only worth £30k and are populated mainly by runners rated below 90 and which therefore are more off my radar than Saturday TV races and fare at other festival meetings, but it means I'm looking at just two or three races a day.

The finish to the Cup was good the other day and Baaeed and The Platinum Queen were good yesterday but the rest of it I'm even struggling to remember.

Just wondering if it's me.

Anyroads, on to today. I wrote this stuff on Tuesday so some of the prices will have changed [for better or worse]:

1.50 - The ratings tell us how strong a hand Godolphin has in this race with three horses in the top two ratings. Warren Point is the most lightly raced and probably open to most improvement. He’s the only one of the three to hold a Group race entry, the Great Voltigeur, so is almost certainly some way better than a 95 handicapper. I’ve taken 8/1 and can see that price collapsing. I’ve also taken 18/1, boosted to 20s, Whitefeathersfall for the Johnstons.

3.00 - I was genuinely expecting Jack Darcy (14/1 taken) to be twice this price but have decided to take it anyway. I don't have a rating for it but it's interesting [to me] that Cole brings it here to this race to defend an unbeaten record off OR 98 when, if it's good enough for this race, it could have had one of the handicaps at its mercy. It's stepping up to this 12f and is bred for the St Leger trip. Neil Callan has had a winner, two seconds and a third from four rides for Cole this season. This horse was the winner. Hoo Ya Mal and the Godolphin hotpot will obviously be difficult to beat but nothing ventured and all that...

3.35 - I’m not sure Dreamloper is a 115 horse. Nashwa won the French Oaks after a good third in the Epsom version and is the one to beat.

I haven't backed anything in that race and don't intend to. I don't even know what I'll back at this stage if I have a freebie going into it.

And that's my lot for today's card. Murderpolis.

……Leaving aside whether you are in profit or not for the meeting so far, is anyone else as underwhelmed as I am by it all?…..

I think the handicaps have been much of a muchness, but the others have been up to snuff. In particular, I will remember Strad’s last hurrah (at Goodwood anyway) battle with Kyprios (who will be on the perch for some time I think) and the chance to marvel at Baaeed, even though he was more coldly efficient than spectacular this time. All I’ve got to do now is win some money :D

and the chance to marvel at Baaeed, even though he was more coldly efficient than spectacular this time. All I’ve got to do now is win some money :D

He'll still be "the highest rated horse in the world" though, BJ - even though that planet only involves the UK and Ireland.
Tbf, I reckon the Juddmonte is his for the taking.

Thursday 1.50 - Warren Point 8/1 BOG - I think I'm right in thinking this is the old Extel Handicap which Luca Cumani was famous for plundering. Godolphin has three in the race and all three are in my top two ratings. Buick rides Warren Point, the most lightly raced and the only one with a Group entry (Voltigeur) so I reckon he's probably a very sound bet at the price. Surely he'll go off at half that price or less. If that entry is justified he must be a long way better than a 95 handicapper.

Nice start to the day :)

I can't even begin. Warren Point had no form. Are we just blindly backing the Godolphin mutts blind nowadays, is that the system.

I can't even begin. Warren Point had no form. Are we just blindly backing the Godolphin mutts blind nowadays, is that the system.

It's not Just Godolphin William Buick is the best jockey to grace the turf since Steve Cauthen.......he's worth 5lbs in any race..you'll never see him fukc up like those Italians:lol:.

Not at all.

I said on Tuesday:

Godolphin has three in the race and all three are in my top two ratings. Buick rides Warren Point, the most lightly raced and the only one with a Group entry (Voltigeur) so I reckon he's probably a very sound bet at the price. Surely he'll go off at half that price or less. If that entry is justified he must be a long way better than a 95 handicapper.

All I can think is they have the best drugs. I just couldn't see his form claims, I mean - backing a horse because he has a Group entry - I just couldn't

But worse than that, how the **** has Blue Trail finished second. He had the worst form claims of the entire field.

I looked at Warren Point's form before the race because of the merket move and none of it stacked up. His novice form not franked in any meaningful way and that race at Ascot was a three runner bumfest. So all he had was being lightly raced and a Group entry. I just could never back a horse like that.

All I can think is they have the best drugs. I just couldn't see his form claims, I mean - backing a horse because he has a Group entry - I just couldn't

But worse than that, how the **** has Blue Trail finished second. He had the worst form claims of the entire field.

The Voltigeur entry wasn't the sole reason but it was an indicator of the regard in which the horse is held. The other two didn't have the entry.None of the rest of the field did. But these are my figures for the race:

[TABLE="width: 746"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Horse
[/TD]
[TD]Trainer
[/TD]
[TD]Jockey
[/TD]
[TD]OR
[/TD]
[TD]MON
[/TD]
[TD]Notes
[/TD]
[TD]RPR
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Blue Trail
[/TD]
[TD]Charlie Appleby
[/TD]
[TD]F Dettori
[/TD]
[TD]92
[/TD]
[TD]116
[/TD]
[TD]p
[/TD]
[TD]110
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Natural World
[/TD]
[TD]Charlie Appleby
[/TD]
[TD]James Doyle
[/TD]
[TD]102
[/TD]
[TD]115
[/TD]
[TD]p
[/TD]
[TD]111
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Warren Point
[/TD]
[TD]Charlie Appleby
[/TD]
[TD]William Buick
[/TD]
[TD]95
[/TD]
[TD]115
[/TD]
[TD]+p
[/TD]
[TD]113
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Schmilsson
[/TD]
[TD]Andrew Balding
[/TD]
[TD]C Hutchinson 5
[/TD]
[TD]88
[/TD]
[TD]115
[/TD]
[TD]p
[/TD]
[TD]112
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Whitefeathersfall
[/TD]
[TD]C&M Johnston
[/TD]
[TD]F Norton
[/TD]
[TD]86
[/TD]
[TD]115
[/TD]
[TD]+p
[/TD]
[TD]112
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Mr Professor
[/TD]
[TD]Alice Haynes
[/TD]
[TD]Rossa Ryan
[/TD]
[TD]98
[/TD]
[TD]114
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]109
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Migdam
[/TD]
[TD]Michael Stoute
[/TD]
[TD]Ryan Moore
[/TD]
[TD]95
[/TD]
[TD]113
[/TD]
[TD]+p
[/TD]
[TD]111
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Wanees
[/TD]
[TD]Charles Hills
[/TD]
[TD]Jim Crowley
[/TD]
[TD]93
[/TD]
[TD]113
[/TD]
[TD]p t? +t?
[/TD]
[TD]110
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Asgoodassobergets
[/TD]
[TD]Tom Ward
[/TD]
[TD]T Marquand
[/TD]
[TD]91
[/TD]
[TD]113
[/TD]
[TD]p
[/TD]
[TD]110
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Asaassi
[/TD]
[TD]Roger Varian
[/TD]
[TD]A Atzeni
[/TD]
[TD]90
[/TD]
[TD]113
[/TD]
[TD]+p
[/TD]
[TD]114
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Court Of Session
[/TD]
[TD]S&E Crisford
[/TD]
[TD]S De Sousa
[/TD]
[TD]83
[/TD]
[TD]112
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]113
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Vee Sight
[/TD]
[TD]Ralph Beckett
[/TD]
[TD]Hollie Doyle
[/TD]
[TD]82
[/TD]
[TD]112
[/TD]
[TD]P?
[/TD]
[TD]112
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Royal Rift
[/TD]
[TD]Brian Meehan
[/TD]
[TD]G Rooke
[/TD]
[TD]81
[/TD]
[TD]106
[/TD]
[TD]p
[/TD]
[TD]109
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

So the winner was second-top on RPRs too.

I think this is just one you've under-rated, Euro. It happens to us all.

Fair. But have you seen who does the RPR - it's Rodway.

I do think something funny is going on with Godolphin though, the Blue Trail run I just can't understand. He was very exposed.

Ironically I'm with Noble Dynasty tomorrow and Trawlerman on Saturday (athough he's not an Appleby)

Back