Grand National 09

Nick Mordin tipped up Hear The Echo who has gained the highest number of points ever in his scale. Interestingly, all of the top ten are Irish horses in his scale.

The Grand National gamble on War of Attrition has shown no signs of abating as the odds on the 2006 Gold Cup winner were cut again today by bookmakers William Hill.
Mouse Morris’s charge was freely available at 33/1 before the weekend but after three days of support is now just a 16/1 chance with William Hill after being trimmed from 20/1 this morning.
The ten-year-old, who has yet to experience the National fences now has only six horses ahead of him in the betting for the famous handicap, amongst them ante-post favourite My Will, and fellow Irish raiders Southern Vic and Black Apalachi.
Kate Miller, spokeswoman for Hills, said: "Be under no illusions, this isn’t just patriotic money for War of Attrition as punters are backing him from both sides of the Irish sea. He now rates as the second-biggest loser in the book behind favourite My Will, and the gamble shows no sign of subsiding."

Nick Mordin tipped up Hear The Echo who has gained the highest number of points ever in his scale. Interestingly, all of the top ten are Irish horses in his scale.

Probably because he awards 5pts just for being Irish. Hear The Echo will have lost 5pts now because of the weight rise I think, so he wouldn't be as far clear now as he was when the article was written

It is a big assumption though Gal. He won't have jumped a national fence before and on the face of it, he is not the horse of old

WOA is now rated 163....the rating itself tells you he is not the horse of old (a 170 horse). Hear The Echo is rated 145...18lbs of a difference yet HTE gets a fraction of that in the National.

Since the Irish national win though Gal, he's been kept to hurdles and an inadequate sighter at fences, again over a trip too short. Wasn't the Tony Martin horse supposed to have been plotted up for the Fairyhouse race? (Royal County Star) if he's beaten that one then again I'm inclined to think he could be well treated still, despite being raised since for the win. It seems to indicate to me that they like what they've got and don't want to risk his weight. I suspect he could well have a few pounds sandbagged away myself.

No opinions on the race yet but you'd have to give Hear The Echo a squeak I'd have thought

War Of Attrition looks to have been given a real chance alright. Fair play to the handicapper.

Any markets up for the Irish National BTW? Pretty keen to back Casey Jones myself.

Agreed, irresponsible even,normal though at this time of year , 11st 9lb seems a big ask to me, I`d want to be sure he gets there first. Interesting that going was firm today at Taunton.

Hi Guys,

Just thought this was worth posting.

Last year I looked at this site and it gave me the Grand National winner (Comply Or Die):

http://www.grand-national-guide.co.uk/winner-predictor.php

This year it goes for Rambling Minster unless the ground is really firm. Their ratings look pretty good but you can also change the ratings if you particularly rate or don't rate a horse.

Also, just for fun, I backed my lucky dip horse which came out as Hear The Echo. Have a go and post what your lucky dip horse is and we will see who wins! I reckon I have a good chance!

Lucky Dip here - http://www.grand-national-guide.co.uk/myhorse.php

In a day and age where there are loads of sites out there with useless info, this seems to have loads of useful stuff.
smile.gif

Best Of Luck!

Last edited:
Just a bit lame and so has missed some essential work. Really sad for the yard.
I only had a place bet on him, damn annoying all the same! Feel for you Ricko

I'm really struggling to get 'into' the race this year.

It was a big enough downer seeing Battlecry run so badly at Kempton and even though he's still in the field I have to wonder about his chances of even lining up.

Another factor is the f*cking awful Racing Post site. I'm at the stage where I more or less avoid using it if I can. You can't access advance fields the way you used to. I tried downloading the field from the Sporting Life site but it looked awful in print. I might try a few other sites to see if I can anything that isn't over-sized or undersized.

I can't believe the race is one week away and I haven't finalised my ratings and punted half a dozen yet.

I have been away for the weekend so have missed all racing news. Can someone explain why L'Ami has come in from 50/1 to 20/1 in a couple of days? Has Mc Coy been declared to ride? JP had a gamble?

Back