Grand National 09

I got Cerium in the sweepstake at my local pub. :blink:

I backed My Will after his run at Newbury but he's one of those horses who invariably runs well without winning.

Also backed Rambling Minster after he won at Haydock but I've gone off him this week without really knowing why.

I haven't a clue. :confused:

My worry about My Will is that he seems to be a little on the small side for a race like this. Stupid concern?

Must admit I've never thought of him as small, Galileo, certainly not compared to the likes of Cloudy Lane.

When I backed him for this, I thought he was the type who might go well over these fences but I have watched replays of him this week and whether it's laziness or clumsiness I don't know, but he can hit the odd fence. I wonder if that may catch him out here.

Don't forget the Greyhound Grand Nat. as well

HOTDOG JACK, Sole railer in The 8.45 at Wim. 3rd Semi final, 9/2 to win if he hacks up tonight and he could dip under 28.00 that price will be long gone Wimbledon's also his fav. track bags of EP. should see the other playing catch me if you can

Has anybody got any thoughts on Charlie Swan's yolk?

He has caught my eye, along with Kilbeggan Blade.

Offshore Account wins have come on heavy ground.....that put me off a little, that aside I think he could have a good run.
I liek Big Fella Thanks although not the jockey, and each way I think Battle Cry could get a place, but not sure exactly why? :confused:

I am going to put £2.50 e/w on Hear The Echo. I'm the biggest of punters!
Although I'm going to miss the race live. I'm in Paris from tomorrow as I'm running the Paris Marathon first thing Sunday morning. :D
Doing it in aid of Sense, for my 12 year old cousin who was born deaf and is now going blind. Have decided that if Hear The Echo gets any money, will add that to the sponsorship fund, so fingers crossed!!

Very best of luck to you.

Not for definite but I've heard same rumour form someone at the yard. So may be true as we've now heard it form two sources ......
That's odd the trainer not only said it was running he said he fancied it and "Mr Sam Waley Cohen" was booked to ride so I gave it a great chance:confused:

Last edited:
Sam W-C - one of the best riders of the fences there is - will be aboard Ollie Magern from the same yard. I don't think either will complete tbh :p though the trainer knows how to win the race - does he have a whole GN course at home LOL

It could be one of those Irish dark horses! - ie been running at the wrong distance and ont he wrong gorund and over hurdles etc etc. One of them always jumps up and wrecks all my research by grabbing a place (or even winning)

Gone for the scattergun approach that worked last year.

State of Play (ante post 22/1)
Hear the Echo (ante post 26/1)
Himalayan Trail 40s
Parsons Legacy 20s
Killbeggan Blade 26s
Darkness 22s

Don`t fancy either of the front two in the market.

My two against the field are Kilbeggan Blade and Himalayan Trail. Both in the bottom half of the weights with form over marathon trips and have gone the hurdle route as a prep.

I love it when there's a lemming rush onto a favourite for the GN which I don't fancy LOL
It's usually AP's mount, Gawd knows why - I suppose occasioanl punters think he has to win it one day... The Fav rarely wins, but did last year - so going on stats which some so like to follow, that means the Fav won't win for at least 6 years now ha ha.

I'll stick to my usual GN stats which always bring me out a bit up at least, and sometimes get the winner... and 3/3 placed horses... but much nearer the time
I think you will find that the Fav, did not come in the first 4 I layed it it was trained by Ginger's son and they backed it off the board but Ginger had said it doesent looklike a Nat. horse to me, and he was right I think he did finish:cool:

Sam W-C - one of the best riders of the fences there is - will be aboard Ollie Magern from the same yard. I don't think either will complete tbh :p though the trainer knows how to win the race - does he have a whole GN course at home LOL
:o I am a massive Sam W-C-Fan and I took 200 on BF, I think that having him on board is a big +:<3:Well I got the right stable not bad for me:cool:

Don't forget the Greyhound Grand Nat. as well

HOTDOG JACK, Sole railer in The 8.45 at Wim. 3rd Semi final, 9/2 to win if he hacks up tonight and he could dip under 28.00 that price will be long gone Wimbledon's also his fav. track bags of EP. should see the other playing catch me if you can

Went off eve's trap to line win :<3:
got 13/8 7/4 15/8 2/1:whistle:

now I better get stuck into the horse one;)

Himalayan Trail was trained in England last year, surely experts like Uncle Goober and Headstrong would be aware of him??

I hate the race this year, very difficult to draw conclusions. A lot of the more likely candidates are carrying over 11.1, thus bucking what is often the most trustworthy of trends.

Things are so bad, that I think Darkness has a chance.

Offshore Account appeals a lot to me - whoever said he has only won on heavy ground is completely wrong - his best win was on good to firm at Punchestown. He fits the bill in many respects but you have to wonder if he's ready for this after the problems he has experienced.

I've backed Irish Invader at big prices, with a view to laying off as I reckon he might [A] Be backed tomorrow or Travel well for a long way but not convinced he'll stay

Butlers Cabin has to have a very big chance as well....

Seeing how the Gold Cup effectively took a lot out of Denman and Exotic Dancer, I can't see how anyone could back My Will with any confidence.

Worst National field in some time ..some of the ones who've crept in at the bottom just shouldn't be running. Some decent types were unlikely to miss out - how can Cerium make it in, and not Majlmar!

I don't have much confidence in my choices this year but gone for
State Of Play
Darkness
L'Ami

Hopefully they all come back safe and sound.

And best of luck Sue!

For those who are keen on Rambling Minster on the basis of the Eider form, I was suspicious of it at the time as it represented considerable improvement on a level which had previously seemed consistent. The Form Book noted that the horse had been taken virtually on to the hurdles track where the ground is better (although it didn't look to be any nearer the hurdles track than its pursuers in the straight) and may be flattered by the form. If the form can be taken at face value I'll have made a biggish mistake in not backing it. It's the only thing I have against it.

My biggest ever GN bet is on Battlecry and I'm convinced if he's right today he's as big a cert as Lord Gyllene or Rough Quest.

However, as my thoughts start to crystallise, My Will is emerging as my idea of the more likely of the pair.

For those who are keen on Rambling Minster on the basis of the Eider form,

Am I missing something? or are you rating RM through something that ran in the Eider?

I quite like his Haydock run, where Coe, Mone Mome, Character Building and Nenuphar Collonges were all beaten, and in the case of the second named, an earlier defeat comprehensively reversed, which perhaps tellingly came after the weights were published. I rated him through Character Building who did that form no harm at Cheltenham, as indeed did Nenuphar Collonges. You mgiht say Killbeggan Blade is on very good terms with him, but RM does seem to have stepped up a level on Sandown, where as I got the impression that KB was as good as he was in the London National and had the assistance of McCoy who booted home a couple on the day which I don't think would have won otherwise.

I actually quite like last seasons Tommy Whittle now which was won by Cloudy Lane with Comply Or Die a little bit behind. A few months later Cloudy Lane came 6th and was sent of fav, where as Comply or Die added the National to his Eider. If you check the proximity of Rambling Minster and the ratings etc he looks well in on this form which is admittedly a bit hsitorical at 15 months old, but I'll take a chance that he's been keeping a bit from the handicapper this term.

Goober does know bout Himalayan Trail, once I said it was trained over here previously and won one of the "Nationals" last year it started coming back.

You know what I'm going to say - Darkness has a massive chance. He's very little weight, undoubted talent, stays the trip and has had a wind op which has done wonders for him - he's better than before.

TDK - shame on you!!!!! You might have to be reminded of that comment later!

Not heavily involved but have Knowhere and Battle Cry at very good odds.
Don't fancy the favourites but they are at bit to long to lay.

I though Comply started Fav last year? - he was certainly backed in very well on the day

I think overnight rain has thrown all my calculations into disarray!

Last edited:
backed comply or die last year dont suppose will get it right two years running have small interest in lami rambling minster and black appalachi.

Back