Grand National 09

There was a rumour that AP was likely to pick L'Ami which could explain the shortening odds - have no idea if that's who he will ride though. I like L'Ami alot but not really sure if this is his race, first fence faller last year and am I right in thinking he's not done very well ona previous attempt either?

Hi Guys,

Just thought this was worth posting.

Last year I looked at this site and it gave me the Grand National winner (Comply Or Die):

http://www.grand-national-guide.co.uk/winner-predictor.php

This year it goes for Rambling Minster unless the ground is really firm. Their ratings look pretty good but you can also change the ratings if you particularly rate or don't rate a horse.

Also, just for fun, I backed my lucky dip horse which came out as Hear The Echo. Have a go and post what your lucky dip horse is and we will see who wins! I reckon I have a good chance!

Lucky Dip here - http://www.grand-national-guide.co.uk/myhorse.php

In a day and age where there are loads of sites out there with useless info, this seems to have loads of useful stuff.
smile.gif

Best Of Luck!

I've tried this and I've got Musica Bella. Not going to put any money on it but just for fun I'll have a look out for her on the day :)

There was a rumour that AP was likely to pick L'Ami which could explain the shortening odds - have no idea if that's who he will ride though. I like L'Ami alot but not really sure if this is his race, first fence faller last year and am I right in thinking he's not done very well ona previous attempt either?

I was very interested in backing L'Ami simply because i thought he was majorly over priced at 50/1 and although i don't see him as the winner i think he certainly has place claims. Finished 7th in 07, fell at the 2nd fence last year, and the latter is part of the reason he was as big as 50/1. Value gone now for me. Why oh why did i not get on :mad:

Can't say I'm not sorry he's not running but soon there will be a distinct lack of quality this year.

Nothing wrong with backing Musica Bella Imagine - least I'm in good company. Had a throw away couple of quid on her at a big price on Betfair. She's based at Haydock at the moment and is a guaranteed stayer, not sure if the fences will be for her but you never know.

Is Dean Gallagher still banned from riding in the UK?

It's average in the sense that the classy top weights have gone but it's shaping up as extremely competitive.

Can anyone say why Paddy Brennan rides Knowhere? Is he retained by the owner rather than the stable? Does young Scu have a second retainer with Trevor Hemmings?

I've got L'Ami at 150 on BF, I placed a small bet on Feb 1st on the offchance.... I think Enda Bolger has greatly improved the horse mentally, and revitalised his enthusiam to race. I'm praying the great AP chooses Butler's Cabin or one of the others, as his record in the race is pretty awful - he's come off more often than not. I just don't think his seat or his style suite the GN course and he'll only win on a really classy one. Sadly we are unlikely to see a really classy one in the race these days given the handicap problem!

Agreed it does look competitive though - plenty in with a chance

AP doesn't have a great record, but then Mick Fitzgerald had a pretty awful one and still won it. Ruby and Geraghty, on the other hand, are ridiculously good at completing the course.

I still haven't decided who will be my main "win bet"..but am on Comply Or Die fairly large (by my standards) to place on Betfair. I can't see him being out of the frame..

I still haven't decided who will be my main "win bet"..but am on Comply Or Die fairly large (by my standards) to place on Betfair. I can't see him being out of the frame..

Am thinking exactly the same Pricewise. I have just had a small few quid ew on Rambling Minster, State of Play and Kilbeggan Blade. A nice size place bet on Comply or Die and i'll sit back and watch the story unfold. :)

Am thinking exactly the same Pricewise. I have just had a small few quid ew on Rambling Minster, State of Play and Kilbeggan Blade. A nice size place bet on Comply or Die and i'll sit back and watch the story unfold. :)

Funny that hezz333- I backed State of Play at lunchtime:cool::cool: A case of great minds...or maybe fools seldom differ:D

I did fancy Cloudy Lane but see he is now top weight which puts me off usually do three e/w but am doing four this time I think!

1. Rambling Minster
2. Kilbeggan Blade
3. Black Apalachi
4. Parsons Legacy
:<3:

Don't understand the support behind L'Ami and My Will, they were basically 2 of the most exposed horses in training a couple of years ago. And don't French breds have a shocking record in this too?

I can understand the support behind L'Ami who is a different horse since Bolger sent him cross-country racing. His training methods have totally re-vitalised the horse this season; though I would have liked to see JT McNamara up ideally who gets on so very well with him. In any event I'm going to lay off part of my bet at some point*.

I don't understand the support behind My Will either, except the 'Ruby factor' - and some folk will back PN's first string regardless! He's the wrong type for the race imo and won't get the trip anyway.

* esp as the ground has gone against those which have winning form on Heavy and G/S

Last edited:
I am going to put £2.50 e/w on Hear The Echo. I'm the biggest of punters!
Although I'm going to miss the race live. I'm in Paris from tomorrow as I'm running the Paris Marathon first thing Sunday morning. :D
Doing it in aid of Sense, for my 12 year old cousin who was born deaf and is now going blind. Have decided that if Hear The Echo gets any money, will add that to the sponsorship fund, so fingers crossed!!

Well good luck with that Sue, sounds like a very worthy cause, and I'm sure you stand a chance (with the horse) I'll assume the Marathons in the bag!!!

Last edited:
I watched a great programme late the other night (sunday, or Monday?) about a blind and deaf RC priest, an Englishman - born a Jew! - who has helped people all over the world with that condition. He's always been deaf, and went blind a few years ago. A truly serene, and inspirational man - he's written a book about his experiences. I'll try to find the title for you. Good luck with your Marathon Sue

My worry about My Will is that he seems to be a little on the small side for a race like this. Stupid concern?

Back