Grand National 09

I can see an animal carrying more than 11st winning this year. With Zabenz on 10-5 at the bottom and the top weight only having 11-10 nowadays it means a weight range of 19lb - lots less than in the past.

Left it late this year. A tricky one to call. As they are all in a quite compressed handicap I’ve allowed a little latitude to my exclusion zone of those on more than 11st.

I’ve raised the bar and ignored the seven above Black Apalachi leaving me (in racecard order) with:

Black Apalachi
My Will
State Of Play
Big Fella Thanks
Butler’s Cabin
Offshore Account
L’Ami
Darkness
Irish Invader
Rambling Minister

Of these I’m most interested in:

1) Rambling Minster
2) Black Apalachi
3) My Will
4) Darkness
5) Big Fella Thanks
6) Offshore Account

Indeed. I remember Notre Pere going out to 26 though in the Welsh version after being 10s in the morning so I don`t consider my money is down the pan yet.

A lot of fuss over a summer jumping staying handicap chase.

That makes you sound so young! It's probalby us old wriklies who have the romance and history of the race so deeply embedded from our earliest years - with Sir P's incomparable calling - who are the most devoted to the race

Different type of yard, Dreaper vs Morris when it comes to betting.

Fair does. You`d know more about that than I. Not tempted to top up though.

I can`t remember a National where i`ve not fancied any of the top three or four in the betting. Weird field this year. Tempted to place lay Butlers Cabin, but i`ve enough staked amongst six already.

Last edited:
I feel the same - woudl back a bit differently if I'd done it today - a very volatile market too. But I've got quite enough on - inc 3 win and 6 place bets on BF!

L'Ami would be my best winner by a long way though as I only laid off a little of my 150 win bet.

Oh my Gawd... My don't the jocks jsut wait for the tape - !! It's worse than the Palio
Do think the tape shoudl be lifted quicker though

Gutted about Hear The Echo. Not a penny on the winner, but pleased that at last we have another woman trainer who has done it! Maybe they will interview her now instead of Pitman every year.

Blatant aftertiming here, but with three fences to go, I thought..Mon Mome..Mon Mome...did I back him yesterday when I was bored. Checked my Betfair Current Bets....turns out I had 4 quid @ 200/1 yesterday afternoon when I was surfing having a few small speculative bets.

Weird game, I had similar success on Hear The Echo in last year's Irish National. I hope he's ok.

French-bred too.

I was about to say that G, I've just re-checked my long-list when there was 83 still left in, and he's on it (along with about 10 others admittedly) but I threw him out on French breeding and enough collateral form lines that pointed me towards Rambling Minster. Rambling Minster was given a puzzling ride given how much riding more prominently at Haydock had brought an imporvement in him. he sat well out the back and I think he got hampered badly by a faller and was pulled up shortly into the second circuit at the next.

Back