Grand National 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of the Irish version, any chance Stumptown gets in? I reckon he's better on a rh track.

Always something to keep in mind but I tend to take each case on its merits.

Miinnehoma definitely ran in the Gold Cup. Pretty sure Rough Quest did too.

Yes Rough Quest was 2nd in the Gold Cup. Silver Birch ran 2nd in the X country in his National year also and Pineau de Re was placed in the Pertemps IIRC. I think Many Clouds ran in the GC inn his year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes Rough Quest was 2nd in the Gold Cup. Silver Birch ran 2nd in the X country in his National year also and Pineau de Re was placed in the Pertemps IIRC. I think Many Clouds ran in the GC inn his year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrison Savannah was 2nd 3 weeks after winning the gold cup.
Mon Mome won 3 weeks coming 2nd in the Kim Muir

Last edited:
Seagram won the Ritz (ultima) and then won the national beating garrison Savannah.
I backed both at Cheltenham and didnt back either at aintree.

Are the trends changing.
Between 2003 and 2014 the ages of the winners were
9 yr old 3
10 yr 5
11 yr 3
12 yr 1

Since 2014

7 yr old 1
8 yr old 4
9 yr 2 tiger roll was one.

So it looks like the younger brigade are taking over.

Going through the trends one sort of sticks out
ASHDOWN LAD currently number 49.
Has run over hurdles
Won over the fences
Finished 5th in Scottish national (weakened,which is a negative)

Are the trends changing.
Between 2003 and 2014 the ages of the winners were
9 yr old 3
10 yr 5
11 yr 3
12 yr 1

Since 2014

7 yr old 1
8 yr old 4
9 yr 2 tiger roll was one.

So it looks like the younger brigade are taking over.

Going through the trends one sort of sticks out
ASHDOWN LAD is currently number 49.
Has run over hurdles
Won over the fences
Finished 5th in Scottish national (weakened, which is negative)

Weakened behind a horse that had won the Eider on Route to the Scottish National. The runner-up won the Eider this year and the 3rd just won the Midlands National.....

Yes, and after Aintree earlier this season the trainer said:
"We just have to think very hard about the trip as he didn't stay in last season's Scottish National and this three-mile-two is probably more like it, but who's to say he won't get it better in time. He obviously loves the fences and that's vital."

But sometimes an extra year can make a difference and while I tend to find eliminating proven non-stayers a good way of whittling down the likelier contenders (often eliminating a lot of the favourites), I did like the way he took to the fences. He'll stay on my radar. (I thought I'd backed him back then but he isn't on my ante-post log. Maybe I just forgot to log it but I'll need to wade through my accounts to check.) Another negative is that in the interview quoted above, Skelton also said the horse didn't like being crowded so he'd need to be ridden wide round Aintree and that won't help in the least.

Corach Rambler, by the way, will be a must bet should he run. I'd want BOG and NRNB before committing but he'll be 10lbs well in and I'll be using him to cover all my other bets.

I've decided to go with 7/1 NRNB for now. He does strike me as the most likely winner at this stage.

It was mentioned of Facebook ( I think it was Facebook) that only one horse had won after having wind surgery but it wasn’t apparent if that was because wind surgery wasn’t publicised till recently.

Weakened behind a horse that had won the Eider on Route to the Scottish National. The runner-up won the Eider this year and the 3rd just won the Midlands National.....

So maybe he didnt weaken but just got outstayed.

It was mentioned of Facebook ( I think it was Facebook) that only one horse had won after having wind surgery but it wasn’t apparent if that was because wind surgery wasn’t publicised till recently.

In Tipperary Tim's case he had an oesophageal tube inserted the morning of his Grand National win 1928 at 100/1.
As every other runner fell it cannot be conclusively proven that the operation prevented him from falling; and there was no Luck On Sunday 2 minute discussion on the topic either .
However an 8 day rule was introduced afterwards for such contingencies.

Just did Ashdown lad win only at 85 on betfair.

A pound on Rapper 190
Enjoy d'allen 120. Went at the first last year.

Have had 3x bets on this ante-post:

Galvin (avg 26.64)
Ashtown Lad (avg 42 - on at wrong price, and not convinced he will run)
Our Power (avg 447.27 - though doubtful he'll get a run, I reckon)

Will be looking to add Le Milos and have a stakes saver on Corach Rambler.

In Tipperary Tim's case he had an oesophageal tube inserted the morning of his Grand National win 1928 at 100/1.
As every other runner fell it cannot be conclusively proven that the operation prevented him from falling; and there was no Luck On Sunday 2 minute discussion on the topic either .
However an 8 day rule was introduced afterwards for such contingencies.
I didn’t back Party Politics because he ‘had a breathing problem’. In election year I think I was the only person in the country that didn’t.

I didn’t back Party Politics because he ‘had a breathing problem’. In election year I think I was the only person in the country that didn’t.

One of the first memorable horses I saw in the National that caught my eye when I was a young lad was Suny Bay.

A grey horse from memory?

Or an Irishman who resides in Spain?

Just a hunch.

Shame he doesn't post much. I hope it's not my fault!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back