Hennessy Entries

Oh ffs - I said all my years in racing, ie in all my years in racing [yards]! Which I consider to be enough to hold an opinion, especially allayed with the longer time I have been looking after horses. You decided to take the p*ss out of me so I reminded you that I have been involved in racing for far longer than you - a statement that had nothing whatsoever to do with your opinions or not, nothing whatsoever to do with my opinions in comparison ~ a comment directly related only to your chippy little dig. It goes without saying that your opinions are experienced and yes, probably far better than mine.

But don't be getting so arsey about one jokey, unrelated comment.

So bog off yourself.

I just thought it was funny that one so young was using the line ' in all my yeeaars racing ' which should be reserved for codgers like me :P

and Phillips.

But not Irish people. ( see how I neatly deflected it away to our clueless friends over the water there for no good reason)

Sometimes you don't have to be a moody old git to have some knowledge you know!!

Just so long as you remember (when you're getting uppity) that I was riding work on Graded winners long before you'd even mastered the rising trot! :P

Well yes, but then for some strange reason you were allowed to stop riding graded winners in their work for an office job in another country, so someone had to take up the mantle !! shrug::

whats rising trot? shrug::

I agree the French might have become lost in translation to some extent although, if my memory serves me correctly, it was Desmond Stoneham who relayed the trainer's view, and DS is bilingual (I think).

I don't think the remark was to do with just the size and shape of the horse. I'm pretty sure the remark wa a long the lines of 'we discovered that when we thought we had him fit he was disappointing in his races and when we let him carry a bit of condition he ran much better.'

I'm also sure both John Francome and Jim McGrath have described horses as performing better when carrying a bit of condition. Maybe someone can confirm that?

Sea Pigeon, for example, was best when 85% fit according to his trainer and jockey, as when absolutely fit as a flea he was more inclined to run on his nerves and disappoint. This is certainly true of a great many lesser horses too.

I can also manage a rising trot, but the horse has to be very big as I'm a fat b*stard. I do hope this qualifies me to have such an opinion.

There is a slight difference between a horse running up too light and a horse allegedly running at its best when it is carrying too much condition and is not fit enough. It is entirely possible to overtrain them so they do run up very light but that is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Besides which, it is certainly not recommended to send horses to the races unfit if you can help it - you are asking for injuries to occur.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Dec 5 2007, 08:36 PM
There is a slight difference between a horse running up too light and a horse allegedly running at its best when it is carrying too much condition and is not fit enough. It is entirely possible to overtrain them so they do run up very light but that is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Besides which, it is certainly not recommended to send horses to the races unfit if you can help it - you are asking for injuries to occur.
Tell that to Peter Easterby then :P

Reverting to topic, I've just got round to watching the race for the first time on video.

I would not be surprised if many people are unimpressed by Denmans impending win in The Lexus. He started tanking away after about 5 fences in the Hennessy, bounding along full of freshness, launching over the fences with ease. Quite often this kind of first-time-out exuberance does not occur next time. Watch for a more settled, but fitter Denman at Christmas, and maybe a more workmanlike performance.

(See Hurricane Run , Tattersalls Gold Cup win 2006)

Given the likely opposition, surely anything less than a 10 length victory in the Lexus would be counted as 'disappointing'?

Quite simple

Dom knows feck all, cos she's young, us old gits know more? But nDenman still wins?

Originally posted by Warbler@Dec 6 2007, 12:31 AM
Quite simple

Dom knows feck all, cos she's young, us old gits know more? But nDenman still wins?
I wouldn't say late 30's was that young :rolleyes:

I was just suggesting that he might be a little less exuberant next time Gareth. Considering it wouldn't have been that disappointing if Denman hadnt managed to win The Hennessy given the task he was set, it might be a bit harsh if we start being disappointed in nine-length Lexus winners, especially if his performance is a little more laid back.

Chris, it was nice knowing you. :xmassanta:

You're a cheeky little gobshite, aren't ya Chris?!?! I'm still being ID'd, and fairly regularly, buying vodka in Sainsbury's for God's sake!!! :laughing:

(it happened to me again last week, and the woman behind me was busy grumbling away that she was jealous when the cashier asked how old I was and did I have ID to prove it before apologising profusely and repeatedly on being told I was 29!)

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Dec 6 2007, 04:15 PM
You're a cheeky little gobshite, aren't ya Chris?!?! I'm still being ID'd, and fairly regularly, buying vodka in Sainsbury's for God's sake!!! :laughing:

(it happened to me again last week, and the woman behind me was busy grumbling away that she was jealous when the cashier asked how old I was and did I have ID to prove it before apologising profusely and repeatedly on being told I was 29!)
29, must have been all those rough mornings on the gallops, thought you were much older. :D

Ha di ha ha - no one has ever said anything other than they can't believe I'm not much younger than I really am!!!!!!

Getting back to the subject....

Choc Thornton does not seem to rate Denman's chances as highly as others. In the Racingpost today he said he would be "disappointed" if MWDS didnt beat him stating that he would choose Kauto Star every time over Denman.

Again he mentioned how slowly they went early on.

Back