Horses to follow - Flat

Saigon City of Cumani's is top of my tracker. Reminded me of Bronze Angel's Britannia the way he veered across the track at Ascot last time out (although BA's move was more initiated by the jockey)

Rio Ronaldo (half brother to G Force) was very taking in a Windsor handicap on Monday. Had to be switched but still ran out an impressive winner. Hoping for no more than a 6lb hike.

Was a non jigger today after a massive drift. Jockey took him to the outside from his inside draw. At least the blue bin animal didn't win.

Hardstone is a horse that I have paid attention to since his 2yo campaign.For most of that time he looked useless,destined to be sent over hurdles.However his last 3 runs have produced 2 decent wins.It could just be that Johnny Murtagh has been incredibly patient with him -the Northumberland Plate was mentioned after tonight's win.

Won the last at Ayr today betfair sp of 145.48.

Was Tough as hell up front, hope you backed it
I took Kashmir Peak out of that race, 1m 5f on soft ground should see him go close in the coming weeks.

Was having a coffee with my brother and his kids -he said to me this is going to make you sick - showed me a video clip on his iPhone and told me the sp.I told him I would be really sick when I saw the betfair sp. Didn't have a clue he was running but the crazy thing is last night I got an urge to search his form on time form but didn't bother.**** happens -philosophical about it.

Was having a coffee with my brother and his kids -he said to me this is going to make you sick - showed me a video clip on his iPhone and told me the sp.I told him I would be really sick when I saw the betfair sp. Didn't have a clue he was running but the crazy thing is last night I got an urge to search his form on time form but didn't bother.**** happens -philosophical about it.

Philosophical is the way to be, I've missed a few nice price winners off my notebook this season but it shows were doing the important things right.

Philosophical is the way to be, I've missed a few nice price winners off my notebook this season but it shows were doing the important things right.

You probably have the right one but I wanted to put upPetrucci as it might be easy to do so if he finishes3rd or 4th.
Good luck

Well it's been a long time for him to turn out again, but a nice 6-1 winner at Chelmsford. Like his half-brother Arab Spring I'd expect him to go on to better things.

Shamreen, a huge eyecatcher at the Curragh a couple of weeks ago, runs in a 10f fillies' maiden at Leopardstown tomorrow. Sadly, any hope that the presence of Ballydoyle runners might help the price have proved unfounded as she's a best-priced 11/10. Still worth watching the race, though, as I suspect she might well turn out to be pretty smart in the long run.

Apparently Petrucci stays in training and has been gelded.

I'll think about putting one up for 2016 and hope I can keep up the record of not giving any stinkers so far

Shamreen ran well today but found one too good. The front two were a little way clear and they are both potentially pretty smart.

I'll put up two for this season, both trained by Roger Charlton. Time Test needs fast ground and when he gets it I think he'll be very hard to beat over 10f. He is a 10/1 shot with most firms for the Prince of Wales's Stakes at Royal Ascot and that looks good to me. Trainer comments suggest he's a likely runner and those ahead of him in the betting - Jack Hobbs, Found and Postponed - are arguably better over further and/or may not run.

Chester Street ran well first time out last year when 50/1 for a decent Leicester maiden which worked out well. He came out again and won on the AW at Kempton - looked like winning comfortably but ended up having to work quite hard. He was probably still green. He's been given a mark of 78 and looks likely to make a decent handicapper.

Zelzal

I think he's pretty special based on his two runs so far. I've backed him for the Prix du Jockey Club already, and is my early idea of an Arc winner.

Theo's Well(Ml Winters) ran a very nice at Cork Easter Saturday when fourth.
some connections are even dreaming a Royal Ascot dream but well handicapped in low 80s for a profitable summer.
Benny Paret (Ger Lyons) ran a very close fifth in a Curragh Maiden late Sept last but disappointed at Cork two weeks later.
Has an Irish Derby entry and is on my short list for the season.

Theo's Well(Ml Winters) ran a very nice at Cork Easter Saturday when fourth.
some connections are even dreaming a Royal Ascot dream but well handicapped in low 80s for a profitable summer.
Benny Paret (Ger Lyons) ran a very close fifth in a Curragh Maiden late Sept last but disappointed at Cork two weeks later.
Has an Irish Derby entry and is on my short list for the season.

Runs in the 4.55 at Limerick (Theos Well that is)

Last edited:
Brian Ellison wouldn't be associated particularly with two-year-olds but he has an interesting intake this year with a couple of them in the seventy grand bracket and he had a winner at Beverley on Wednesday who might be quite interesting in Orewa, by Helmet out of a useful Sadler's Wells mare who won a 7f Group Three for Coolmore twelve years ago.

Orewa cost eighteen thousand euros and that looks good value now after he won pretty impressively the other day. Things didn't really go his way in the early stages but he came through strongly in the closing stages to win going away by three lengths. Calculating a time rating is fraught with difficulties because 5f races there start on a chute but there was another sprint on the card for older horses and Orewa's time compares very favourably with the time of that race.

Both his pedigree and the style of Wednesday's win suggest strongly that Orewa will be suited by further in due course. He's in my tracker.

Richard Hoiles was course commentator at Newmarket on Wednesday and mentioned a number of times in the early stages of the 10f maiden how steady the pace being set by Luke Morris on Knights Table was. This visual impression is confirmed by the overall time.

On the face of it, therefore, the performance of Knights Table was disappointing in that he had the run of the race but weakened quite badly late on to finish fifth of ten, beaten nearly eight lengths. By Percy's Lass and from a good staying family on the dam's side, this colt, who cost nearly £70k as a yearling should on pedigree have been suited by the trip, the furthest he has tackled to date, but I wonder if he's going to take after his half-brother, Louis The Pious, and prove best at distances of up to a mile. There was certainly a point on Wednesday about 3f out when Morris tried to quicken it from the front that Knights Table had all his rivals in trouble, looking sure at the very least to go close. Interestingly, he'd been collared close home on his previous run over an extended mile on the AW at Wolverhampton last month.

Trained by James Tate, he now qualifies for a handicap mark which is bound to be modest and he'll be of some interest from this point on if dropped in trip.

The 3.55 at Doncaster looks choc full of potential
No bet race as there's plenty unexposed 3yo's in with a shout but the race should hopefully be one to follow.

Knights Table (who was ridden by Spencer, not Morris, at Newmarket) has been given an initial mark of 80. I'm a bit disappointed, actually. I thought it would be mid-70s or thereabouts.

He's still of interest, though.

Knights Table failed to justify short-priced favouritism on the AW recently but will remain of interest to me back on turf in handicaps.

Chester Street ran with some promise at Newmarket yesterday. It was slightly surprising to see him upped to 10f and he ran like it might be a bit too far for him at this stage. Roger Charlton hasn't hit full stride yet, either, so, all in all, it was satisfactory enough and he can definitely win a handicap at around a mile.

I have had a good look at Taqdeer's race yesterday and it looks seriously hot for a nine grand handicap. The first three all recorded times well ahead of their marks. The handicapper will bump them up to some tune but he can't weight them out of handicaps. I suspect connections may have bigger things in mind for Taqdeer and Prize Money but New Caledonia is likely to stay handicapping and he'll be of interest given that yesterday was his first run in ages and he was quite lightly-raced at two for a Johnston horse.

Back